Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

So... this is the front and back of a mini-card component for AstroSmashers. The card is intended to be a tiny, disposable screen that mimics and lightly parodies a modern-day credit card.

Front:

The front image is the same on all cards.

Back:

The top right is a reference icon for the benefit. The top left is the cost to buy the benefit card (this may get dropped if I determine all benefits are of equal value). The tab in the text-box is the short-description text, and the text box itself contains the entirety of the allowance/rule.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the back design but I'm not too sure of the front. While the credit card is a nice parody, I think it might distract.

Do you think they'd still be using credit cards when we're mining in outer space? I can imagine how long it would take to get approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still not a fan of the light blue. Doesn't feel spacey :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
EBWonder wrote:
I like the back design but I'm not too sure of the front. While the credit card is a nice parody, I think it might distract.

Do you think they'd still be using credit cards when we're mining in outer space? I can imagine how long it would take to get approval.

Well, to be fair... it's more like a preloaded credit card..........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd prefer if the title were at the top.
something like:

2x Resources

icon

For one Store Action, double the amount
of resource gained from a single Asteroid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The back seems like it has a lot of wasted space.

+1 to re-evaluating background/color choice for the back.

(I like the front though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
valpocarnie wrote:
The back seems like it has a lot of wasted space.

+1 to re-evaluating background/color choice for the back.

(I like the front though)

I'm on the other end. The amount of extra space helps keep it from looking cluttered. Lots of room there to put thematic art.

The credit card look, on the other hand, feels like a step to the past, rather than looking futuristic.

I'd go a for a straight-up Logo with a "Galactic" or "Asteroid" background ... plus, maybe something like a barcode or QR code.

If a QR code can be made to look more futuristic, what would it look like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EBWonder wrote:

I think the probability that people hundreds of years ago will not only still be using credit cards, but that they will look the same as 21st century credit cards, is pretty low. Like I got a big laugh when Battlestar Galactica (the new one) showed people supposedly on a planet long ago and far far away, who not only had cars that looked just like 20th century cars, but that had license plates that looked just like 20th century license plates. Like, really? A totally non-functional detail like that would be exactly the same?

That said, he did say it's a parody, not intended to be realistic. And in that vein I think it's a cute touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
saneperson wrote:

That said, he did say it's a parody, not intended to be realistic. And in that vein I think it's a cute touch.

Right. Just so this is emphasized - the overall presentation of AstroMiner is supposed to be closer in feel to say, Galaxy Trucker than Eclipse. Most of the stuff I've done for it so far intentionally uses a 80's retro-inspired look.

I've been mining (har har) things like old Atari cartridge boxes and arcade games for elements. Maybe I need to tweak this so it's more in line visually with the resource board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Is this looking better or worse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

I like the color scheme and pattern. I also like your picture of the resource board. Has that "gritty space mine in a remote corner of the galaxy" look.

The position of the elements on the card might need revisiting. Are these cards held in your hand, or displayed in a "Dominion" tableau? If held in hand, consider how the cards would be fanned out and what the player needs to see while it is fanned out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:

I like the color scheme and pattern. I also like your picture of the resource board. Has that "gritty space mine in a remote corner of the galaxy" look.

The position of the elements on the card might need revisiting. Are these cards held in your hand, or displayed in a "Dominion" tableau? If held in hand, consider how the cards would be fanned out and what the player needs to see while it is fanned out.

These Benefit cards are in a marketplace. Essentially, at the top of each Round, the players draw one random Benefit per player, and this adds to a continuously growing market of Benefits all players can purchase.

Once bought, they're just laid tableau-like near your resource board. My thought was players would stack them so that only the icons were peeking out, preserving table space (since asteroids are getting flicked all over the place).

That all said... I'm not feeling the reorganization of the title/text to the top of the card, with the icons on the bottom. It just looks wrong to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Ready for some tough love, Moth? :-)

1)I would advise swapping the color contrast. I think dark borders look much better.

2) Unnecessary glare. The lens flare or glow effect doesn't look good. I imagine there's supposed to be a metallic gold trim? But the glowing edge blurs that and it's lost. It would look much better crisp.

3) The font for the big 5 is terrible. Just terrible. You should find yourself a cool sci-fi free font somewhere. I also would recommend finding a more subtle sci-fi font for your body text. You might loose a bit of readability, but you'll add a lot to the theme/flavor.

3) You should increase your font size on both the body text, and the 2X Resources line above it. It may seem logical to format this text standard based on your wordiest card, but you can always reduce the size on the font of the rare card with a lot of text, making the bulk of them much more readable.

4) That little red and blue cube graphic is too small, too. Blow it up about twice the size. In fact, that one doesn't need to be on a white/gold frame. That graphic could sit by itself on the background, and this is where I would use a glow effect behind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the intent is that the text of the card will be covered up most of the time, you might need a third icon in the middle that means "Store Action," so the casual player knows when this card gets used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

It would look like the Matrix, or the inside of the Animus, and it would be holographic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanenopolis wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

It would look like the Matrix, or the inside of the Animus, and it would be holographic.

Wow! I can do kung fu!

edit ...

And yes, I agree with all the comments made since my last post in this thread.

And if the intent is to start building a tableau that is kinda halfway-stacked on top of each other, I agree that you want to put the relevant items at the top portion of the card. People tend to build those stacks from the top and work their way downward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok - how's this?

EDIT: Shane - I totally agree that the 5 font is ugly as hell. But I'm looking to keep it there for thematic consistency. It's an Atari vector based font and it ties in with the rest of the components. If I could have gotten away with using it for the text description as well, I would have done so... but it's too hard on the eyes for text blocks.

All of my "screen" components are supposed to be a throwback to those early 80's vector based arcade games like Asteroids, Battlezone, Omega Race, Tempest, etc.

The thematic conceit is the screens/graphics are supposed to look "futuristic" circa 1980.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks WAY better, already

I would still recommend changing the font, but maybe its just me. I understand the thematic consistency, but the general theme may be a risk, as a result. The uninformed may misconstrue the faux '80s flavor as outdated graphic design. You may want to commission a classic Atari box art style drawing for the cover to help ensure the right perception.

Great job on the changes, though, I think it looks much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanenopolis wrote:
It looks WAY better, already

I would still recommend changing the font, but maybe its just me. I understand the thematic consistency, but the general theme may be a risk, as a result. The uninformed may misconstrue the faux '80s flavor as outdated graphic design. You may want to commission a classic Atari box art style drawing for the cover to help ensure the right perception.

Great job on the changes, though, I think it looks much better.

You mean something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Needs more rainbow colored streaks showing movement :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanenopolis wrote:

Odds of successfully navigating an Asteroid field (3720 : 1)

Odds of successfully navigating an Asteroid field while in hyperspace ( N/A)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
Shanenopolis wrote:

Odds of successfully navigating an Asteroid field (3720 : 1)

Odds of successfully navigating an Asteroid field while in hyperspace ( N/A)

Odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field in real life: 99+%. Hollywood asteroid fields always seem to be a mass of objects floating around with about 10 feet between them. In real life, in the asteroid belt in our solar system anyway, the objects are hundreds of thousands of miles apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saneperson wrote:

Odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field in real life: 99+%. Hollywood asteroid fields always seem to be a mass of objects floating around with about 10 feet between them. In real life, in the asteroid belt in our solar system anyway, the objects are hundreds of thousands of miles apart.

Odds of a robot, a princess, Bigfoot, and Harrison Ford flying around outer space in the fastest ship in the galaxy in real life: 0%.

Sometimes you just gotta suspend disbelief!

Admittedly, though, I think if you drop Harrison Ford from the equation, the odds go up slightly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pear Annoyed wrote:
Odds of a robot, a princess, Bigfoot, and Harrison Ford flying around outer space in the fastest ship in the galaxy in real life: 0%.

Admittedly, though, I think if you drop Harrison Ford from the equation, the odds go up slightly.

Well, if you're going to get real specific, sure. Odds that YOU will win the lottery: 1 in several million. Odds that SOMEONE will win the lottery: close to 100%.

I think it's pretty likely that SOMEDAY a princess and a robot will be flying around the galaxy in a star ship. Whether they will travel faster than light is another question. Current physics would indicate that that's impossible. Whether there are intelligent aliens to fly with them is at this time a question that no one can answer with anything but speculation.

:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
saneperson wrote:
Pear Annoyed wrote:

Well, if you're going to get real specific, sure. Odds that YOU will win the lottery: 1 in several million. Odds that SOMEONE will win the lottery: close to 100%.

I think it's pretty likely that SOMEDAY a princess and a robot will be flying around the galaxy in a star ship. Whether they will travel faster than light is another question. Current physics would indicate that that's impossible. Whether there are intelligent aliens to fly with them is at this time a question that no one can answer with anything but speculation.

:-)

All of this is achievable RIGHT NOW, with slight modification.

Recruit a princess from some random European constitutional monarchy.

Use a modified DARPA Big Dog or Furby to perform the robot function (there was no stipulation it need be sentient or even useful).

Grab Harrison Ford from his current hospital stay (possibly under guise of "reduced gravity rehab").

Secretly spike Kim Kardashian's facial/body cleanser with Rogaine for a few months (this might also satiate the "Princess" requirement in addition to Bigfoot).

Load them onto NASA's new CRV and rocket, and execute a full burn (Earth IS in "the galaxy," is it not..? No one stipulated FTL).

Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.