5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: The Value of Adds? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Khan
Canada
flag msg tools
I was wondering if any of you fine people had an opinion on whether taking out adds for your kickstarter/boardgame was worth it. On average how much does it cost to acquire a backer/customer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Khanquest wrote:
I was wondering if any of you fine people had an opinion on whether taking out adds for your kickstarter/boardgame was worth it. On average how much does it cost to acquire a backer/customer?

This depends on what you expect to get for it, i.e. how much would $1 in advertising give you in sales/pledges - but be sure not to count how much funds it raises, but how much in "profit" it results in.

We price our pledge levels at the absolute minimum possible, to give the best value for our backers. If we took the minimum $500 for BGG ads, or the $1200 contest option, and we need 250 backers for our project to fund, we would have to raise the pledge levels an average by $2-$5 per backer.

At the moment, with our current KS pledge level pricing, and assuming we'd like to use our emergency/reserve money in this way, we'd basically need 0.75-1 backer per $1 of ads, which would mean roughly 400-500 backers, just from ads alone. With so many ads on the site, and more than 100 projects live at any given point, that does not seem likely.

And this is just to make the ad money back, never mind make a profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.
badge
YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
mbmbmbmbmb
Note - ads, not adds.

Since there are almost certainly shady marketing agencies out there who will sell you 'adds' in the form of coerced social network connections, who want to make sure you're searching for the right term!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Mayeski
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on where you purchase your advertising space. No matter the amount you invest, if you reach none of your target audience, it will yield no profit. What sites are you considering? (Or for those of you reading, what other niche/gaming sites do you visit?)

*Edit for late night wording mixup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Results of advertising vary widely. You have to (a) be able to construct an ad that gets attention, and (b) find the right venue to publish the ad.

Like to be obvious, if you put an ad for a fantasy board game on ESPN, I doubt you'd get very encouraging results. But not so obvious: I once put an ad for a computer game in a boardgaming magazine, and got very disappointing results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.