Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that Voyager has a special use for cheat death. When flying Voyager with Ablative Armor, one risk is that when they fire past the armor, it goes to hull and you can get destroyed.

But if you have cheat death, you oome up with 1 hull and full shields, don't you? At worst, you have a renewed chance to last till the beginning of the next turn when your shields come up then.

Is this the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
It seems to me that Voyager has a special use for cheat death. When flying Voyager with Ablative Armor, one risk is that when they fire past the armor, it goes to hull and you can get destroyed.

But if you have cheat death, you oome up with 1 hull and full shields, don't you? At worst, you have a renewed chance to last till the beginning of the next turn when your shields come up then.

Is this the case?

Cheat Death does not affect your shields at all; so if they were disabled due to the Ablative Armour, they'll still be disabled after Cheat Death activates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Is this the case?

Cheat Death does not affect your shields at all; so if they were disabled due to the Ablative Armour, they'll still be disabled after Cheat Death activates.

But you can re-enable at end-of-round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M R
msg tools
Just to clarify, ff your shields were destroyed, rather than disabled (for instance, prior to the activation of Ablative or a cloak), Cheat Death does not restore them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The enemy could destroy you twice in a single round, but that isn't all that likely so chances are you would get another lease on life with full shields and unlike a normal ship with cheat death, you are much more viable with full shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
The enemy could destroy you twice in a single round, but that isn't all that likely so chances are you would get another lease on life with full shields and unlike a normal ship with cheat death, you are much more viable with full shields.

The problem I think people are tripping on here is that you're stating "normal ship" here as though most ships would never have disabled shields when they are destroyed. There are many circumstances where this is the case and in all of them, Cheat Death does nothing to remove the Shields, allowing them to be raised at the End Phase if your ship has survived.

While this is true of Ablative Generator, it also applies for Cloaked ships, ships that have disabled Shields through an upgrade such as Montgomery Scott or High Energy Sensor Sweep, or actions such as beaming Tribbles from one ship to another. Hell, if I de-cloak I can opt to keep my Shields down until the End Phase of the round I decide to raise them. Probably not a good idea in most cases though.

Tactically speaking, the idea of using Cheat Death with the Generator is sound because it will convert most criticals down to hits, preventing naturally rolled criticals from hitting you with something like Injured Captain at an inopportune moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gould
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shields can only be raise at the end of the round. So if voyager dies with it's shields disabled and comes back with cheat death, Voyager's shields are still disabled. There is a risk that another ship can attack and destroy you again.

Think of it like having a Energy Dissipator token next to a ship:

"1) As soon as the ship receives the EDT, disable all of its remaining Shields and remove its (cloak) Token, if any.

2) While the ship has the EDT, it cannot attack or raise its Shields.

3) During the Planning Phase the owner does not assign a maneuver dial to this ship.

4) During the Activation Phase the owner moves the ship as if it were assigned a White 1 (straight) Maneuver. After executing this Maneuver, remove all EDTs from this ship It may now perform Actions and attack as normal."

rd 1: Hit with ED. Your shields go down.
rd 2: do a 1 straight and lose the EDT. Your shields do not come up when the EDT is gone. You have to wait until the end of the round.

Same principle is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

The problem I think people are tripping on here is that you're stating "normal ship" here as though most ships would never have disabled shields when they are destroyed. There are many circumstances where this is the case and in all of them, Cheat Death does nothing to remove the Shields, allowing them to be raised at the End Phase if your ship has survived.

While this is true of Ablative Generator, it also applies for Cloaked ships, ships that have disabled Shields through an upgrade such as Montgomery Scott or High Energy Sensor Sweep, or actions such as beaming Tribbles from one ship to another. Hell, if I de-cloak I can opt to keep my Shields down until the End Phase of the round I decide to raise them. Probably not a good idea in most cases though.

Tactically speaking, the idea of using Cheat Death with the Generator is sound because it will convert most criticals down to hits, preventing naturally rolled criticals from hitting you with something like Injured Captain at an inopportune moment.

Good point. Cloaked ships or any other ship using an action where they lower their shields (maybe for a gank) would have an equal desire for cheat death so that they have a chance of coming alive with their shields next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Good point. Cloaked ships or any other ship using an action where they lower their shields (maybe for a gank) would have an equal desire for cheat death so that they have a chance of coming alive with their shields next turn.

I have repeatedly annoyed people with that fact on the Defiant. Always fun seeing them figure out why I still have shields after using Cheat Death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.