Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, Im sure there is a post somewhere on this site but when you get old, at least from my perspective have a tendency to get "research lazy". So with that said , would like to give this a shot but have a few questions.

Been to the sites and seems like a great way to play war games when you cant find an opponent to sit across from.

1. How easy is it to log in figure out the modules etc? I ain't a computer programmer, but I can navigate a little from my pc

2. Is it safe? Seems like someone you are playing against would have access to your ip address? This isn't to say I wouldn't trust a fellow war gamer, but stranger things have happened.

3. Is there tutorial out there in BGG, or the other sites that I haven't found yet?

4. What if I start a game and cannot finish it, will someone get irritated and banish me to the dark ages of cyber war games or worse yet excommunication?

Thanks and all for now, appreciate all the help

regards
Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this helps.

1. Yes, you down load the modules and store them in a folder, then open your Vassal and say open (or new, I don't have in front of me), and follow the prompts.

2. Getting ones IP address is only a very small part of "breaking" in to your computer, and is easily done even without Vassal if someone warrants to. Your ISP (Internet Service Provider, Verizon, AT&T, whomever) has security measures to protect you. That is not to say you shouldn't protect yourself, a good updated virus protection program, Windows with all the current updates, and a strong password for Windows are essential. Sorry if I seem preachy I am a network administrator and see people neglect this all the time. If you follow these steps you should be fine on Vassal, I have never heard of anyone doing anything malicious with it.

3. I haven't seen any tutorials, but I would check YouTube for videos.

4. Not usually, a lot of people get pulled away. I think most will be accommodating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargameroom applications all come with a README help file included that explains their usage. Connecting to an opponent can be a little tricky if you are not that technically savvy--it does require a direct connection to an opponent's machine, and you need to ensure you don't have any firewall blocking inbound communication and that you are supplying your actual, as-seen-by-the-outside-world IP address (e.g., as opposed to an internal network IP if you are behind a wireless router). Some of the older applications are pretty ghastly to look at--essentially schematic diagrams as opposed to true graphics--but they are all fully rules-enforced. These support live, real-time play only (no PBEM), but you can stop and resume later as needed.

For VASSAL, I always recommend starting with the User's Guide. Broadly, you download the modules you want, save them on your computer, and open them up when you want to play. Connecting to another opponent is much easier, as you usually use the central VASSAL server as a go-between, and there's no need to determine and share your IP address. It does support the direct connection method of play as well, but not many people use it. Game modules span a wide breadth of quality and graphical polish--check each one to see if it comes with a guide on how to use it. For most the part, modules are simply a virtual sandbox in which you can move and manipulate pieces manually. At least 99% of them have no rules enforcement or structured framework--it's up to players to know and implement rules themselves. VASSAL supports live real-time play and PBEM (or switching between the two seamlessly, if you like).

As for question #4, I think you should generally plan to stick with and finish games you start, but hey...real life intervenes sometimes. Hopefully most other people out there have been there themselves and can handle that gracefully without being a jerk about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/123628/i-want-learn-vassal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find lots of TS opponents on wargameroom
CCA, HRC to a smaller degree
HIS players gather once a week on saturday mornings or so
Can't really say for the rest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
charlescab wrote:

One of the best resources hands down.

FYI, you can save progress and of course play by email.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
1. How easy is it to log in figure out the modules etc? I ain't a computer programmer, but I can navigate a little from my pc

Depends on the module. Once you get familiar with vassal itself, most are pretty easy. Some are pretty tough. If you are on facebook, vassal wargamers is a great place to find people who will play you on vassal and help, especially if you know the game rules

2. Is it safe? Seems like someone you are playing against would have access to your ip address? This isn't to say I wouldn't trust a fellow war gamer, but stranger things have happened.
They only get our outside IP. As long as you are protected by a firewall well you shouldnt have any issues

3. Is there tutorial out there in BGG, or the other sites that I haven't found yet?
see above

4. What if I start a game and cannot finish it, will someone get irritated and banish me to the dark ages of cyber war games or worse yet excommunication?
You can always "log a game" and email those back and forth, or you can save a game and pick up later. This is the best part of vassal as you can finish a game anytime

If you need any help or want a custom vassal module tutorial done for a game I know I will do my best, just let me know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I delayed committing to Vassal for years due to fear of the unknown. Once I started using it though I realized it wasn't that difficult and the more I used it the more comfortable I got. I find play be email more difficult than live play because you have to manage log files. I use Skype in tandem with Vassal to play live games. There are many reasons why a game doesn't get finished. Usually by mutual agreement players can decide to stop a game early. I think once you start also you will find a group of players that will become your "regulars". Good luck. You won't regret doing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help, really appreciate all the posts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.