12 Posts

Dungeon Roll» Forums » Variants

Subject: Dungeon Roll - Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trey Van Dyke
msg tools
mb
I backed this as part of the kickstarter - I really am a sucker for dice games. When I received it, I played with the kids a few times and like I've seen from others, it fell rather flat. We tried to spice it up, having a tournament style game, every person pulling 5 heroes and running through a single elimination type tournament, but it was still the same. So I decided to try running Dunegon Roll as a series of 'adventures'.

Something along the lines of giving the party 10 characters to work with and then starting along the adventure. Something along the lines of:

Adventure 1: The bar. Survive the bar fight to learn the rumor of the Ultimate Sword of Extra Magic.
Setup: 2 players, 1 run each.
Goal: 1 player must achieve 5 XP. (easy)
Reward: Moving forward to adventure 2 as you get the truth of the rumor of the goblins having map to the Ult Sword of Xtra Magic.
Fail: Move forward to adventure 2, but lose 1 character.

Adventure 2: Goblin Caves. Goblins have the map. Adventurers must get the map.
Setup: 2 players, 2 runs each
Goal: 1 player must clear level 6 (easy-med)
Reward: Obtain the map to the sword
Fail: -1 PC, retry with new PCs

Adventure 3: Getting Help. Need help for the final battle. Spiders have captured the warriors. Must rescue the town.
Setup: 2 players, 2 rounds each, treasures pulled are not returned to the chest until the character is finished with all runs
Goal: Rescue 6 people from the caves (treasures - warrior, priest, thief, fighter). Must live through the round in order to 'save' them. (medium)
Reward: Select 2 of the rescued characters to help with final battle
Fail: -1 PC, no help.

Adventure 4: Forging the armor. Fighting a dragon? Need dragon armor.
Setup: 2 characters, 3 runs each, treasures pulled stay out until end of run.
Goal: Collect 3 dragon scales (medium)
Fail: -1 PC
Reward: 2 potions (equivalent of armor protection) to be used in final battle

Adventure 5: Finding the sword. Into the cave we go!
Setup: 2 PC, 3 runs, can use all extra help potions
Goal: Collect total of 55 xp combined
Fail: -2 PC, rerun with no treassure reward
Suceed: +4 treasures (random)

Adventure 6: The final battle against the dragon!
Setup: 2 PC, 3 runs, can use any extra help/potions
Goal: 3 dragons same run. 3 runs each. (medium)
Fail: -1 PC, rerun
Reward: WIN!

This took me about an hour to kind of put together, but it went over really, really well. Suddenly there were all kinds of choices that needed to be made here. Do I select a hero who has already leveled up, or do I select a new character so I can level him up just in case.

What's the goal? Who would be the best to go for that goal? The Leprechaun was a popular choice on the dragon scales. Suddenly those early chests you would normally skip - you would have to actually consider opening depending on the goal of the adventure. Those treasures you would normally keep for XP? Well, depending on the quest, USE them already - no reason not to, and go to the next level! No reason to save Town portal treasures either...etc, etc.

As to the above, it was all in all pretty easy. The adventurers didn't really struggle TOO much, so goals would need to be adjusted for more challenge, but that's easily done. It was perfect for what I wanted for the afternoon and the kids had a blast. With a bit more time and effort, could make for a much more interesting Dungeon Roll.

I'm sure there are other games that do this, and do it better, but for those with Dungeon Roll who want something a little bit more, this worked for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Lea
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds intriguing... may have to try this myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brackard wrote:
I backed this as part of the kickstarter - I really am a sucker for dice games. When I received it, I played with the kids a few times and like I've seen from others, it fell rather flat. We tried to spice it up, having a tournament style game, every person pulling 5 heroes and running through a single elimination type tournament, but it was still the same. So I decided to try running Dunegon Roll as a series of 'adventures'.

Something along the lines of giving the party 10 characters to work with and then starting along the adventure. Something along the lines of:

Adventure 1: The bar. Survive the bar fight to learn the rumor of the Ultimate Sword of Extra Magic.
Reward: Moving forward to adventure 2 as you get the truth of the rumor of the goblins having map to the Ult Sword of Xtra Magic.

Adventure 3: Getting Help. Need help for the final battle. Spiders have captured the warriors. Must rescue the town.
Setup: 2 players, 2 rounds each, treasures pulled are not returned to the chest until the character is finished with all runs
Goal: Rescue 6 people from the caves (treasures - warrior, priest, thief, fighter). Must live through the round in order to 'save' them. (medium)

This took me about an hour to kind of put together, but it went over really, really well. Suddenly there were all kinds of choices that needed to be made here. Do I select a hero who has already leveled up, or do I select a new character so I can level him up just in case.

What's the goal? Who would be the best to go for that goal? The Leprechaun was a popular choice on the dragon scales. Suddenly those early chests you would normally skip - you would have to actually consider opening depending on the goal of the adventure. Those treasures you would normally keep for XP? Well, depending on the quest, USE them already - no reason not to, and go to the next level! No reason to save Town portal treasures either...etc, etc.

As to the above, it was all in all pretty easy. The adventurers didn't really struggle TOO much, so goals would need to be adjusted for more challenge, but that's easily done. It was perfect for what I wanted for the afternoon and the kids had a blast. With a bit more time and effort, could make for a much more interesting Dungeon Roll.

I'm sure there are other games that do this, and do it better, but for those with Dungeon Roll who want something a little bit more, this worked for me.

This sounds like a pretty awesome variant!

I love the theme from adventure to adventure.

Great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Brackard wrote:

This sounds like a pretty awesome variant!

I love the theme from adventure to adventure.

Great work!

Agreed. This is excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erawen Lowhunger
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this can be turned into a solo campaign, it would be awsome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Van Dyke
msg tools
mb
So, just continuing to think about the different ways this can be run. I put together another example below, this one a bit more fleshed out on how I am running these 'campaigns' with clarified rules. The adventure below has run me about 1.5 - 2 hours when play testing. Plan is put together some kind of longer 'real' campaign lasting much longer and being a bit more intricate. The trick here is to find a balance - some might like the bite sized version less complicated, and some might like the more complicated and in depth variant.

I'll try both and see what pans out.

Temple Run

A local girl has been kidnapped by local worshipers of a Boogie god. It's assumed they are going to sacrifice her to gain the favor of said god. Your party heads to the local tavern to learn more information.

Setup / Rules: Pick (or randomly draw) 8 adventurers for your party. These will be the group that can be used throughout the campaign. Adventurers can level (through normal or special means) and will remain leveled with following exception (or unless told otherwise). Adventurers need to rest between one adventure and another. Any adventurer that is used in simultaneous adventures will NOT retain the level that may have gained from the previous adventure. Example: Dwarf levels up to Beserker in adventure 1. If used in adventure 2, he would revert to Dwarf whereas if he were used again in adventure 3, he would remain as Beserker. Adventurers that are lost are removed from play.

The adventure description and goal are the only items given to the player before the player specifies the character choices. After character choices are given, the goal specifics can be announced.

Only specific adventures have treasures that may be saved from adventure to adventure. All other treasures must be discarded as in normal play.

Adventure 1: The party is curious about the status of the rescue and enter the tavern. Unfortunately, the tavern is already in a full out brawl over who is going to rescue the girl. The party arrival only makes things worse and they join the fray.

Goal: 2 characters, 1 must survive the brawl
Goal Specifics: 1 character must reach 6 xp in one run.
Reward: 3 characters total may level up (2 must be the brawlers)
Failure: 1 PC levels up, 1 PC breaks an arm and must abandon the quest

Adventure 2: After having survived the brawl, the party determines the girl still needs to be rescued, and the followers of Boogie need to be dealt with. Along the way, they come to a troll bridge. Of course, on the bridge, is a troll. He looks really, really mean and demands treasure for passage. [Note the 2 options on this quest - adventurers can hear both options of goal here]

Goal:
Option 1: 1 PC, Fight the troll
Specifics:
Option 1: 1 PC, must clear level 7 in 2 runs (any method that would result in the PC gaining 7 xp for just the dungeon clearing - no treasure, no dragon)
Reward:
Option 1: All PC pass
Failure
Option 1: -1 PC, must treasure find below, toll turns to 3 treasure / PC

Option 2: 2 PC, Pay the toll.
Goal Specifics:
Option 2: 2 PC in 2 runs collect as much treasure as possible.
Reward:
Option 2: Pay the toll of 2 treasures / PC to pass
Failure
Option 2: Any PC not able to pay the toll are left behind and discarded.

Adventure 3: Having passed the troll, the party has made their way to the creepy temple of the Boogies. You are pretty sure that deep in the temple lies the summoning chamber. However, between you and the summoning chamber lies the crypts. Knowing that treasure usually lies within the crypts, you decide to kill all the cursed skeletons in the crypts (stealing their treasure in the process), while making your way to the summoning chamber.

Goal: 2 PC, Seek treasure while killing skeletons
Specifics: 2 PC, kill combined of 13 skeletons in 2 runs each
Reward: 1 treasure (saved for final battles), for every 3 skeletons killed (round down)
Failed: 1 treasure for every 4 skeletons killed (round down)

Adventure 4: Having hacked your way through the not so living dead, you find yourself looking in on the summoning chambers of the Boogies. They look to be performing the final rites. A servant of Boogie is materializing in the summoning circle. You better hurry or all will be for naught!

Goal: 2 PC - kill the servants of Boogie to disrupt the ceremony, any treasures saved may be used here
Specifics: 2 PC, 3 runs each, combined minimum of 55 xp
Results:
63 xp earned: ceremony disrupted, girl saved, Boogie servant hindered
60 xp earned: ceremony disrupted, girl saved, Boogie servant not hindered
55 xp earned: ceremony disrupted, girl killed, no further reward
< 55 xp: ceremony completed, girl killed, Boogie servant at full strength
Success/Fail: See below

Adventure 5: Deeds done, there is one thing left to do. No matter what sacrifices that need to be made, the servant of Boogie needs to go down. That is exactly what your party intends to do.

Goal: 2 PC, Put the servant of Boogie down, along with any remaining followers, any remaining treasures may be used here
Goal Specifics: 2 PC, 3 runs
For 63 XP in adv 4, kill dragon 3 times in one run
For 60 XP in adv 4, kill dragon 3 times in one run AND clear level 6 (same run)
For 55 XP in adv 4, kill dragon 3 times in one run AND clear level 7 (same run)
for < 55 XP in adv 4, kill dragon 3 times in one run AND clear level 8 (same run)

Failure: -2 PC, try again with new PCs

Success:
Killed Boogie Servant: Fame and fortune
Saved girl: Marry the girl! Receive awesome wedding gifts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Leung
Singapore
flag msg tools
Wow this idea could totally be a whole expansion. Gives long-term purpose to rolling dice and an opportunity to tell a story with the heroes! Thanks for this. I shall go search for my dungeon dice and try it with this variant!

Thanks
Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Van Dyke
msg tools
mb
I'm working on completing a 'true' campaign for this. I've tested the idea in theory with the above and it truly works. I want to put it all together for one massive hurrah.

Watch this space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Van Dyke
msg tools
mb
Quick update.

Been slowly working my way through the grand hurrah here. I've finished the introduction and Act I. This accounts for 36 adventures so far. Note that these are non-linear, and will vary depending on choices made as well as results from the various quests.

Here's a teaser below for the introduction. Just wanted to let you know this is still a WIP.

Introduction

Adventure 1: Mucking stalls. That is what you do. Every day. Day after day. Today is no different. The only good thing is that you end the day exhausted. Today is no different. As you prepare yourself for bed, you note the only thing different about this evening is the murderous screams outside. You pause. Murderous screams? The screams grow louder. You quickly redress and run outside. It takes only a second before you are running for your life. The living dead have returned. Skeletal beings surrounded by half decomposed beings are stalking the town looking for something to kill. There is only one thing to do at this point. RUN!

Goal: Escape the undead horde
Goal Specifics: 1 PC, 2 runs, Gain 5 XP in 1 of those 2 runs
Treasure: Standard
Reward: If completed in 1st run, +1 treasure to be used at any time
Failure: -1PC

Adventure 2: The IDEA of being chased by an undead horde seems to be much more horrifying than the reality. When it's all said and done, half decomposed corpses don't move all that fast and it really isn't all that difficult to escape. However, people can't run forever, and an adrenaline high only lasts for so long. The townspeople, those that decided to run rather than fight anyway, realized this as well. They all holed up and barricaded themselves in the most secure place in the village, the church. Unfortunately, that is where all the undead headed as well - following the light, the hammering of barricades, cries of pain, and screams of fright. There is no way the town will live without help. YOU are that help.

Goal: Kill skeletons, save the townspeople
Goal specifics: 2 PC, 1 run, 1 PC must kill 4 skeletons or clear level 5
Treasure: Standard
Reward: Add 3 additional PC
Failure: Add 2 additional PC

More to come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Van Dyke
msg tools
mb
Dungeon roll adventures has now been posted.

80+ adventures in a non-linear, multiple ending campaign.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/107890/dungeon-roll-ad...

Keep tabs here - I have another idea I want to try with dungeon roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Van Dyke
msg tools
mb
I'm not going to spam another thread, but for those still following here, the next variant has been posted: Dungeon Roll - Labyrinth.

You are tasked with running through an ever changing Labyrinth. It can be played cooperatively or competitively and works well with two people. It can be played in a single sit down session.

It's not as intensive as the last project, but we've enjoyed this one as well. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/109309/dungeon-roll-la...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brenycz
msg tools
mb
Really cool idea and exactly what I was looking for to add a bit of continuity to the game. Thumbs up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.