United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rory Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Has someone considered doing a custom character deck for The Doctor? I think that would be pretty awesome. Maybe have the Tardis be a separate character target card which if gets destroyed, the players lose because all of time has been erased. The sonic screwdriver could be an equipment card. Maybe the Doctor doesn't do much direct damage to villians, but can turn time back, or something like that. Anyone else have any ideas?

Edit:

Ok. I finished the first version of the cards! I know there will be a lot of problems. Hopefully you can test them out and tell me what works and what doesn't! Geekmail me if you have any questions! Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzj5Me_JZfCAY3puQWVDVWxmQlk...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideas

1 - Companion Cards - These could work similar to Unity's Golems (The Bad Wolf, The Girl Who Waited, The Girl Who Walked the Earth, The Impossible Girl, etc)

2 - Sonic Screwdriver - Maybe an equipment that if in play boosts some one shots (repair, unlock door, environment scan, etc). Again, similar to how some of "The Sentinels" cards work in tandem.

-- Repair - restore a non-character hero card to full HP. If the sonic screwdriver is in play, you may discard this card out of turn to prevent the removal of any Hero equipment card. (just spitballing there)

3 - Maybe the doctor above average HP (say 40) but has a shared HP pool with the Tardis (a second hero card) - Like a HP linked "The Sentinels". One power for the Doctor, one for the Tardis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Gannage
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rory Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas! I also thought of maybe his HP being way lower than normal, but if he gets incapacitated, he regenerates back to full health with no cards in play or in hand. Limited regenerations obviously.

JBMoby wrote:
Ideas

1 - Companion Cards - These could work similar to Unity's Golems (The Bad Wolf, The Girl Who Waited, The Girl Who Walked the Earth, The Impossible Girl, etc)

2 - Sonic Screwdriver - Maybe an equipment that if in play boosts some one shots (repair, unlock door, environment scan, etc). Again, similar to how some of "The Sentinels" cards work in tandem.

-- Repair - restore a non-character hero card to full HP. If the sonic screwdriver is in play, you may discard this card out of turn to prevent the removal of any Hero equipment card. (just spitballing there)

3 - Maybe the doctor above average HP (say 40) but has a shared HP pool with the Tardis (a second hero card) - Like a HP linked "The Sentinels". One power for the Doctor, one for the Tardis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about that too. Maybe 5-8 HP per regeneration and and have it a random secondary deck. Each one has this text/secondary power

"When incapacitated do the following:
If there is another Doctor available, it enters play and you continue playing. Remove this Doctor card from the game.

If there is no other Doctor available, flip this card as normal."

EliasMG wrote:
Great ideas! I also thought of maybe his HP being way lower than normal, but if he gets incapacitated, he regenerates back to full health with no cards in play or in hand. Limited regenerations obviously.

JBMoby wrote:
Ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Gannage
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rory Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect!
JBMoby wrote:
I thought about that too. Maybe 5-8 HP per regeneration and and have it a random secondary deck. Each one has this text/secondary power

"When incapacitated do the following:
If there is another Doctor available, it enters play and you continue playing. Remove this Doctor card from the game.

If there is no other Doctor available, flip this card as normal."

EliasMG wrote:

JBMoby wrote:
Ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That way each version can have its own quirk/power.

Idea: The 10th Doctor could taste things (look at the top card of a deck. Replace it or place it on the bottom of that deck).

I've been rewatching the David Tennant run and he licks a LOT of stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he would be more of a deck controller and/or making targets deal themselves damage, he's not really into dealing damage himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Gannage
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rory Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly what I was thinking!

Matchstickman wrote:
I think he would be more of a deck controller and/or making targets deal themselves damage, he's not really into dealing damage himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Gannage
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rory Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
How's this for a start?
I haven't made any specific powers for each Doctor yet. I'll need some help since I'm new to the Doctor and have only seen Matt Smith.

With 12 regenerations, the Doctor's total health would be 96. However, maybe alot of his cards have to do with sacrificing health or regenerations to do different things. Also, he loses all cards in hand and in play.
Now to think of the TARDIS power ability.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonic Screwdriver
Equipment, Limited
Power: This card does everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Spoilers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Gannage
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rory Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, well, I pretty much have to decide whether to put in John Hurt's character or Peter Capaldi's character since a Time Lord typically has only 12 incarnations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
12 regenerations. 13 incarnations (birth incarnation + 12 regenated incarnations).

The 10th got greedy and used one without changing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Gannage
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rory Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty then. There are now too many cards to post here so I have posted a link to the shared folder that has all the cards in progress. Please check them out and give feedback!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bzj5Me_JZfCAbF9kcmNf...

The Doctor Cards Plan Spreadsheet
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzj5Me_JZfCAN1hYeFNxQ0JkMUU...]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Brownsword
msg tools
You misspelt Amelia Pond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Gannage
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rory Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluedarky wrote:
You misspelt Amelia Pond.

Lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Gannage
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rory Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, if some of you guys could give me some ideas for powers for the different doctors and companions, that would be great! Keep in mind the other cards in the deck. (I updated most of them)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War doctor is your damage dealer.

I stand by my "tasting " power idea for the 10th. Maybe Environment deck manipulation: look at top three of environment you may play one card or discard a card. Then replace the remaining cards in any order.

I am only familiar with the new series, I haven't dug too deep into the "classic".

Dr. River Song - spoilers - maybe some sort of blind draw? maybe draw 4 faced down cards and separated into two equal stacks without looking. Choose one stack' put it into your hand, and put the other into you discard pile / on the bottom of your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Gannage
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rory Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya. I have the damage power for the War doctor, I'm pretty sure I'll use that tasting power for the 10th doctor. I just think that River Song should have some damage ability because the Doctor doesn't really do that and River Song definitely does. Cool idea though. I hope the 10th doctor's power isn't too nullified by the TARDIS's power.

JBMoby wrote:
War doctor is your damage dealer.

I stand by my "tasting " power idea for the 10th. Maybe Environment deck manipulation: look at top three of environment you may play one card or discard a card. Then replace the remaining cards in any order.

I am only familiar with the new series, I haven't dug too deep into the "classic".

Dr. River Song - spoilers - maybe some sort of blind draw? maybe draw 4 faced down cards and separated into two equal stacks without looking. Choose one stack' put it into your hand, and put the other into you discard pile / on the bottom of your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on my phone last night so I couldn't look at the powers/cards.

I'll have to take a look this evening and get back to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
1: Was always in a lab fixing some horrible disease or saving the day with science. I'd let his power destroy an ongoing.
2: Was all about his companions, maybe use that, search for a companion trash or deck.
3: REVERSE POLARITY! Select a deck, either discard or put into play the top card.
4. Alway was patient, and only acted right when needed, I'd have him draw and discard for a power. (draw 3 discard 2)

Don't have stuff for the rest of them.

Companions, I'd do one companion card for each doctor, only one can be in play at a time.

1st: Susan: Start of turn Doctor draws a card, when she is destroyed the doctor may use a power.
2nd: Jamie + Zoey: 2 power options: Deal melee damage, or one hero searches their deck for an Equip.
3rd: Sarah Jane Smith: Start of turn reveal and replace the top card of 2 decks.
4th: K-9: Heroes win the game. But seriously, maybe discard a card to play an extra card each turn?
5th: Adric: 5000 bonus points if you tear the card in half and throw it away.

I would suggest that when playing the Doctor the player gets 4 versions of the Doctor to play with, either selected or randomized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Gannage
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rory Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the Doctor power suggestions! I'll definitely use them.

Cards:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bzj5Me_JZfCAbF9kcmNf...
Spreadsheet:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzj5Me_JZfCAN1hYeFNxQ0JkMUU...

Phantaskippy wrote:
1: Was always in a lab fixing some horrible disease or saving the day with science. I'd let his power destroy an ongoing.
2: Was all about his companions, maybe use that, search for a companion trash or deck.
3: REVERSE POLARITY! Select a deck, either discard or put into play the top card.
4. Alway was patient, and only acted right when needed, I'd have him draw and discard for a power. (draw 3 discard 2)

Don't have stuff for the rest of them.

Companions, I'd do one companion card for each doctor, only one can be in play at a time.

1st: Susan: Start of turn Doctor draws a card, when she is destroyed the doctor may use a power.
2nd: Jamie + Zoey: 2 power options: Deal melee damage, or one hero searches their deck for an Equip.
3rd: Sarah Jane Smith: Start of turn reveal and replace the top card of 2 decks.
4th: K-9: Heroes win the game. But seriously, maybe discard a card to play an extra card each turn?
5th: Adric: 5000 bonus points if you tear the card in half and throw it away.

I would suggest that when playing the Doctor the player gets 4 versions of the Doctor to play with, either selected or randomized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With such low hp, they will be going down FAST. The total hp is not a good indicator here, although you may want restrict it so all 13 don't come out.

I'd vote to make it random. You get a random Doctor both to start and to regenerate. I'd also suggest putting the regeneration text either on the setup card or another card.

A possible card effect: Sacrifice--Ongoing: All hero targets are immune to damage. At the beginning of your turn destroy this card and your current hero card. (idea is forced regeneration)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Gannage
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rory Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I finished the first version of the cards! I know they are pretty rough, but I'm leaving town next week and won't be back till next Saturday, so I wanted to get these finished. I know there will be a lot of problems. Hopefully you can test them out too and tell me what works and what doesn't!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzj5Me_JZfCAY3puQWVDVWxmQlk...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knauss
United States
Winter Garden
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catwhowalksbyhimself wrote:
With such low hp, they will be going down FAST. The total hp is not a good indicator here, although you may want restrict it so all 13 don't come out.

I'd vote to make it random. You get a random Doctor both to start and to regenerate. I'd also suggest putting the regeneration text either on the setup card or another card.

A possible card effect: Sacrifice--Ongoing: All hero targets are immune to damage. At the beginning of your turn destroy this card and your current hero card. (idea is forced regeneration)

make the Doctor take damage for other characters. it would show that when/if he could help it he would change time and space to protect a companion. that would make his 13 incarnations total HP less of an advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.