Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity: in the first version of Netrunner, was there an equivalent to the current Astrotrain strategy? Which cards were involved? Thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't play it, but i've heard about "psycho tycho"

http://www.arasaka.de/content/articles/trq/trq04/article5.ht...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobin Lopes
United States
Thornton
Dark Side of the Moon
flag msg tools
Serving the Emperor since 1971
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:

Yep. That's the one. Score 4 AP, use ACME to gain your money back (sacrificing 1 AP) to then FA another Tycho for 4 AP and 7 total.

-tpl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tobinlopes wrote:
Captain_Frisk wrote:

Yep. That's the one. Score 4 AP, use ACME to gain your money back (sacrificing 1 AP) to then FA another Tycho for 4 AP and 7 total.

-tpl

I really like the change from sacrificing individual agenda points to sacrificing whole agendas. It makes for more interesting decisions both in-game, and when constructing your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skylar114 wrote:
tobinlopes wrote:
Captain_Frisk wrote:

-tpl

I really like the change from sacrificing individual agenda points to sacrificing whole agendas. It makes for more interesting decisions both in-game, and when constructing your deck.

Not to mention making a more balanced game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, actually re-reading that article looks so similar to current meta:

Quote:

In nothing flat, Psycho Tycho decks became a pest. Most Netrunner players frown upon the deck a bit nowadays; while it's innovative and extremely strong in competition, it isn't very difficult to play and no fun at all to play against.

Quote:

time and again players have been tempted to call for bans, restrictions, or "errata".

Quote:
Most decks use lots of cheap ice like Filter and Data Wall to keep out the Runner in the early game, but some also include more expensive ice cards to fall back on if the game goes longer. *SNIP* Some devious Corps even go for a sprinkling of Tag 'n' Bag.

Quote:
A Runner who dares to face Psycho Tycho has to realize and exploit its weaknesses. Usually the Corp is hoping that the Runner will need a couple of turns to get icebreakers installed - afterwards, the cheap ice won't present much of an obstacle. *SNIP* Thus, if the Runner gets a couple of bits and Corrosion/Codecracker going in the first turn, all it takes to snatch victory from the Corp are some All-Hands and Rush Hours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:

I wonder if the FA combo was in anyway responsible for the early demise of the game and history is repeating itself. Hope not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fameros wrote:
Captain_Frisk wrote:

I wonder if the FA combo was in anyway responsible for the early demise of the game and history is repeating itself. Hope not.

Nobody at WotC was looking at the state of the game when NR96 got canceled, just the fact that it wasn't selling as much as Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
Nobody at WotC was looking at the state of the game when NR96 got canceled, just the fact that it wasn't selling as much as Magic.

Right. But it looks like they recognized Tycho Extension was bad for the game. It was banned from the 1999-2000 Tournament Season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fameros wrote:
Right. But it looks like they recognized Tycho Extension was bad for the game. It was banned from the 1999-2000 Tournament Season.

You really have to look at cards like Tycho Extension and Enterprise Inc Shields (another banned card) and wonder "What were they thinking?" Even taking into account that CCGs hadn't been around very long, I find it hard to imagine the scenario that would've allowed these cards out of playtesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Man, EIC. Man. That card was an abomination. Those were the only two banned cards, but man, did they deserve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pirate_chef wrote:
You really have to look at cards like Tycho Extension and Enterprise Inc Shields (another banned card) and wonder "What were they thinking?" Even taking into account that CCGs hadn't been around very long, I find it hard to imagine the scenario that would've allowed these cards out of playtesting.

You need to remember that playtesting mentality was very different at the time. The assumption was that each player is going to get a couple of starters and maybe a few booster packs, and that's about it. Player groups were assumed to be separate, with very little trading. Rare cards were supposed to be *very* rare, you might play the game for a year and not see many of the cards they printed. Using Tycho Extension as an example, it's a vital card, so you'd probably have one from your starter and that's it.

Edit: Looks like I got my timelines wrong, oNR was released enough after MtG to realize the mistake with rarities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Except that anecdotal evidence from the Netrunner playtest teams shows that they did try to test the game for degenerate decks involving critical masses of strong cards. Somehow TE and EIC just got by, their strength not fully appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Enniss
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:

You need to remember that playtesting mentality was very different at the time. The assumption was that each player is going to get a couple of starters and maybe a few booster packs, and that's about it. Player groups were assumed to be separate, with very little trading. Rare cards were supposed to be *very* rare, you might play the game for a year and not see many of the cards they printed. Using Tycho Extension as an example, it's a vital card, so you'd probably have one from your starter and that's it.

Yeah, but Enterprise, Inc., Shields was also common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:

I thought that Magic had been out long enough, by that time, for them to realize that kind of expectation was hopelessly naive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
pirate_chef wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:

I thought that Magic had been out long enough, by that time, for them to realize that kind of expectation was hopelessly naive.

ONR was 1996, right? They realized their mistake with rarity well before that (the power 9 were restricted well before then)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth M
msg tools
mbmb
pirate_chef wrote:

The article about Psycho Tycho posted earlier was from 1998. At that point Magic was releasing Urza's Saga. The winter of 1998-1999 was 'Combo Winter', where everything was degenerate. It was so bad one card had to be banned before it was released and ate the largest amount of banned cards in a season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were several ways to do something similar to Astrotrain in ONR.

People already brought up Tycho extension:
Install Tycho extension (4/4 agenda), play Project Consultants for $12 (or similar card - this is essentially a super biotic labor). Use Acme S&L to get $12, repeat.

A strategy that was actually more similar to Astrotrain than this:

Artificial Security Directors + Corporate War.
Artificial Security Directors is a 3/1 agenda with the text 'the difficulty of your Black Ops agendas is decreased by 1. Imagine it as a 3/1 Astroscript that gave a bonus advancement on ALL your future agendas, not just one! Corp War in the original was a 3/3 agenda that could also get you $12 (lol!).

All you had to do to win was score one ASD. Now, you go Install-Advance-Advance on two Corp Wars to win. The ASD was similar to scoring an astroscript, doing so got you started. The followup was even more consistent than Astroscripts!

Too much ability to score agendas out of hand hurts netrunner, imo. The game is more exciting if the corp sometimes has to actually stick an agenda in play and then say 'Go'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Artificial Security Directors is a 3/1 agenda with the text 'the difficulty of your Black Ops agendas is decreased by 1.

Reminds me of Medical Breakthrough.

Alexfrog wrote:
Too much ability to score agendas out of hand hurts netrunner, imo. The game is more exciting if the corp sometimes has to actually stick an agenda in play and then say 'Go'.

I know what you mean. The intent of the original design seems to be a game where one player sets little puzzles for the other player to solve using imperfect information. FA denies the opportunity to solve the puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
fameros wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

I know what you mean. The intent of the original design seems to be a game where one player sets little puzzles for the other player to solve using imperfect information. FA denies the opportunity to solve the puzzle.

This is a great way of expressing why remote play should be a main focus of ANR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Solow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like the game is balancing out, except for the ridiculousness of midseason-pyscho-astrotrain and andy. Lotus field stealing some of andy's thunder. I just want a fast advance face puncher that is still useful in other situations. NBN is still getting more fa toys in lunar (license thingy is stupid good, getting free sansans).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last few days, one amazing card has helped me to snatch some victories against Astrotrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
fameros wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

This is a great way of expressing why remote play should be a main focus of ANR.

I still hope for a card which prevents the corp from installing and scoring a card in the same turn. Similar to The Source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Espinosa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Zebadiah wrote:
fameros wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

I still hope for a card which prevents the corp from installing and scoring a card in the same turn. Similar to The Source.

Why not just use the Source? It just got a ton more useful with the addition of Fall Guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Zebadiah wrote:
fameros wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

SO similar in fact.. WAIT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.