Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are near, check out KANBAN at Manorcon UK. It will be held on 18th to 21st July 2014, in John Foster Hall, University of Leicester.

Paul Grogan has a pre-production Prototypes to be demo'd!
Web:manorcon

If you want to try it out, don't miss the opportunity and contact Paul at Facebook Page or just leave a message here.

Take a look at game the rules here
See the Board Game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
To avoid disappointment, my copy of the game is home made, put together over 3 evenings at home (yes, there are a lot of bits).

Since I don't have any miniature cars, the version of Kanban being played this weekend is about making little wooden ships....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, how was the home-brew version received?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I've demoed it twice, both to groups of 4 people. I was expecting a mixed reaction as it is quite a heavy game. However, I made it clear up front that it was a heavy game, and the 8 players I demoed to were all ok with that.

I also asked them for their honest opinion afterwards, bearing in mind that I am not the designer and not being paid for demoing it. All 8 people said the game was very good.

If any of them are on BGG, they can post their opinions here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
I've demoed it twice, both to groups of 4 people. I was expecting a mixed reaction as it is quite a heavy game. However, I made it clear up front that it was a heavy game, and the 8 players I demoed to were all ok with that.

I also asked them for their honest opinion afterwards, bearing in mind that I am not the designer and not being paid for demoing it. All 8 people said the game was very good.

Thanks Paul. That's great to hear... and not surprising
I have had the same results with the many playtests I have organized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Barnett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

I was one of the people in the demo games on the Sunday and I can broadly confirm what Paul said. It seemed an excellent action point management game, with several paths to victory. Everything seemed reasonably balanced (as much as one can tell from a 1st play-through) and the limited resources (including action spaces) provided a good deal of interaction between players.

There were only two small gripes I had with the game during the demo:
1. The board was a little difficult to read and interpret. Part of that was due to the fact it was a print out copy and several shades darker than it looks in the rulebook. However, partly out of necessity, because of the sheer amount happening on the board, reminders that we are used to on games were either abbreviated or absent. For example, it is easy to miss the recycling centre entirely until another player uses it to remind you, and the restriction of only using parts in the assembly line that have been upgraded on the car initially is also very easy to miss.

2. The slight rules quandry did come up of what happened if Sandra reached the end of week 3 and only one meeting had happened. (due to an abundance of green cars, a lack of initial green designs, and a failure to realize at least on my part that the limit on cars on the track just meant the first car was removed, rather than a ban on production) More specifically, whether Sandra continued moving along the track, and what happened if she hit admin again. We eventually decided that she kept going along the board, but nothing would happen if a meeting still had not been triggered. In the end she triggered a meeting anyway due to moving the pace car, but that point was unclear in the rulebook.

However, those two minor minor issues were nothing to detract from an excellent game. I would happily play this again. 9/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I was in the 1st demo of Sunday morning.

I too found it to be a very interesting game with various ways to get VPs. The limited action spaces and the way turn order is executed gives for some quite difficult decisions.

Once the board had been explained, it was reasonably clear where everything was, I was aware of the recycling centre but didn't have opportunity to use it, however when a player reaches certification in R&D it is easy to miss that you can take a tile from the stacks rather than from the 8 slots.

I also found, and mentioned that using cubes on the parts upgrades was too close to the cubes to indicate which colour upgrades have gone into which car. Having double sided disks to indicate upgrade level of each part and which parts have been super-upgraded without having to look at the players boards.

We also had the question of what happens if Sandra (the situation did not arise) were to complete 3 weeks, but the test track has only triggered one meeting.

I also agree that this is an excellent game and I'd gladly play it again, and will most likely pick up a copy when it is released.

Edit: One thing for players to bear in mind is too keep an eye on the meetings and make sure you have seats at the table. At the 2nd meeting I had no seats! It was fatal as I got no points that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Christopher and Andy,
I'm glad that you enjoyed the game.
Thank you for your comments, I already adjusted some of your suggestions.

About end game conditions, the rules say that the game ends when one of the game timers (week and production markers) hits the second position and the other the third position. Until then, you keep playing. So, Sandra just move her ass to the leftmost empty workstation as she did in previous weeks.

I hope you also enjoy your next play. Any doubts just send me a GM.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.