Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: ThinkGeek -- Buy one, get one 50% off rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bobkins
msg tools
In honor of the anniversary of the release of "Akira," ThinkGeek is running another site-wide buy one, get one half off sale. Use the promo code CAPSULES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThinkGeek stuff tends to be the type of thing that looks good in a catalog but is significantly less cool when you actually get it. I bought a couple of things from there, the first item never worked at all. The other thing I got (different item) broke almost immediately after we started playing with it. The biggest impression I got from their stuff was "cheap"... as in quality, not price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
ThinkGeek stuff tends to be the type of thing that looks good in a catalog but is significantly less cool when you actually get it. I bought a couple of things from there, the first item never worked at all. The other thing I got (different item) broke almost immediately after we started playing with it. The biggest impression I got from their stuff was "cheap"... as in quality, not price.

That depends entirely on what you order - they stock things from different manufacturers. In addition, they have AWESOME customer service - if you receive something that's broken, let them know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobkins
msg tools
They also have quite a few board games in stock. I plan on picking up a copy of Boss Monster once I figure out if there is a second item that I want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eveeything I've gotten there has been good quality. In total for myself and gifts about 14 shirts, chewbacca robe, tardis Blanket, doctor who coasters, sonic screwdriver remote and two magic wand remotes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Kleinman
United States
Marblehead
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not a bad way to pick up Boss Monster: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/14a1/?srp=3

Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plasticbathmonki wrote:
They also have quite a few board games in stock. I plan on picking up a copy of Boss Monster once I figure out if there is a second item that I want.

Not being a regular shopper at ThinkGeek, I was excited to see what gaming related things I could from this sale. So far, in this thread, I found I could get Boss Monster. Problem is it takes 2 items for the second to be half off. What else are people getting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We own Badass Zombie Killers and it's a decent little quick game. Worth picking up if you're looking for a second item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sygyzy wrote:
plasticbathmonki wrote:

Not being a regular shopper at ThinkGeek, I was excited to see what gaming related things I could from this sale. So far, in this thread, I found I could get Boss Monster. Problem is it takes 2 items for the second to be half off. What else are people getting?

Just remember that B1G1 50% off is a maximum savings of 25% off total and that's only if you min/max by getting a second item of exactly the same price. The total discount goes down from there for every dollar less the 2nd item is.

Since Boss Monster can already be had for 25% off the full price at ThinkGeek buying from Amazon ($18.78 shipped w/ Prime or free shipping at $35 w/o) I don't see any real opportunity for a savings here, and in most cases you'd only wind up paying more.

I've gotten a few outstanding deals at ThinkGeek but it's always been a combination of a sale like this combined with a board game that was already discounted in their sale/clearance section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here are some things I found interesting while browsing the site:

Firefly: The Board Game
Redshirts Deluxe Edition
Sentinels of the Multiverse Enhanced Edition
Digital Protractor
Rampaging Kaiju Garden Gnome
Doctor Who Beach Towel
Portal 2 Warning Signs
Periodic Table Shower Curtain
Brunton Torpedo 2800 Hybrid Mobile Battery & Charger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

Just remember that B1G1 50% off is a maximum savings of 25% off total and that's only if you min/max by getting a second item of exactly the same price. The total discount goes down from there for every dollar less the 2nd item is.

Since Boss Monster can already be had for 25% off the full price at ThinkGeek buying from Amazon ($18.78 shipped w/ Prime or free shipping at $35 w/o) I don't see any real opportunity for a savings here, and in most cases you'd only wind up paying more.

I've gotten a few outstanding deals at ThinkGeek but it's always been a combination of a sale like this combined with a board game that was already discounted in their sale/clearance section.

Thank you for illustrating this so clearly. You just saved me some money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
sygyzy wrote:
plasticbathmonki wrote:

Agreed. The Game of Thrones board game for $32 is the one Think Geek deal that really stands out. However, I've only been at this board gaming thing for four months, so I'm sure there have been others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too many with ThinkGeek but there have been a few. Had a fantastic deal on Star Trek Attack Wing core sets about 6 months ago I took advantage of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.