United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting how different people's mindsets on something like this can be. I'm totally with you -- neighbors should be thoughtful but that includes being understanding when your neighbor does something you may not like but that isn't unreasonable, let alone unlawful.

Other people seem to think that anything they consider unfortunate constitutes real damages, and that this means it should either be prevented or compensated for.

I wonder if their kids will be friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I just don't understand how you can retroactively revoke building permits. These people submitted a plan and it was accepted.

There should be no takey-backeys. I would sue the city if they tore down my work after "legally" accepting it.

City building code laws...yet another victim of ambiguity and vagueness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
They issued all the permits, THEN revoked them? Can they go after the city for taking property without compensation?

Also, is having an ABANDONED UGLY HOUSE in their neighborhood just as bad as an INHABITED UGLY HOUSE?

Geez, and they think that the ugly house was going to cause a housing "holocaust". Wait until they have an abandoned house. I love people who have to compare things to the holocaust. It pretty much brands you as a jackass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
It's interesting how different people's mindsets on something like this can be. I'm totally with you -- neighbors should be thoughtful but that includes being understanding when your neighbor does something you may not like but that isn't unreasonable, let alone unlawful.

Other people seem to think that anything they consider unfortunate constitutes real damages, and that this means it should either be prevented or compensated for.

They'll probably fall in love as teenagers, even as their parents forbid it, and then both commit suicide in a tragic misunderstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

bjlillo wrote:
An architect and his wife recently started to build their dream house in a lovely Raleigh, NC neighborhood. Their asshole of a neighbor decided that she just couldn't bear to have a modern house across the street from her own and sued to have their building permits revoked.

Look at this monstrosity:

Well, OK, it's not really a monstrosity at all. It's pretty nice looking IMHO. But, it differs from the architecture around it, so it must not be tolerated by those who have too much time on their hands and the mindset where anything that offends them must not be tolerated.

This story just irritates me. How big of a bitch do you have to be that you decide that your neighbor's dream house is just too ugly to be tolerated and must be destroyed?

Like it or not, some neighborhood have established formal standards to preserve their historical architectural flavor and aesthetic for all or most already-established homes in that neighborhood. This is nothing new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
bjlillo wrote:

If the building permit gets revoked, the house will be demolished.

Great, so they lose all the money they put into the house and it's NOT a government taking?

As to James' comment, yes, but the time to contest the building style would have been when they got the original building permit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found an exhaustive timeline here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
I found an exhaustive timeline here.

That's a pretty good timeline, but it does raise one obvious question:

"Monkey Time"???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
On topic, this is absolutely ridiculous. It flies so wildly in the face of any common sense I cannot understand how it even got this far. People are idiots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
Chigwell, Essex, London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I guess they are using the "historical neighborhood" as the excuse. Well this is what happens when you let the government get to much power. When you buy a piece of land you should be able to build whatever you want on it.

So your cool with my new piggery next door, future neighborino?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
I guess they are using the "historical neighborhood" as the excuse. Well this is what happens when you let the government get to much power. When you buy a piece of land you should be able to build whatever you want on it.

There are zoning restrictions and the like to keep these things reasonable. Telling someone they can't build a house because you don't like the architecture, after they're already cleared all the zoning and permit hurdles, is horseshit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately it seems like it is becoming more common to contest decisions after the fact. I deal with permits all the time. Many of them have public comment periods. It's not very common to get many or any comments during public comment periods for most projects. It's not that surprising, really. If I'm requesting a permit for a project that's a year or more away, it's not on the forefront of many people's minds no matter how many public meetings and mailings I've done. But when I actually start cutting down trees and bringing in bulldozers, people take notice. It's a bit of a conundrum for permitting agencies because they do have to listen to their constituents. And if they don't give in then they're painted as not caring about citizens' input.

I know this situation isn't exactly the same, but it reminds me of HOA politics. In theory, HOAs are a libertarian's ideal form of "government" - a neighborhood banding together to decide what standards they want to hold day other. In practice, HOAs are often little tyrannies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's not clearly forbidden in either the local zoning laws or HOA bi-laws for that neighborhood, then it would be a miscarriage of justice for it to be denied them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:
Unfortunately it seems like it is becoming more common to contest decisions after the fact. I deal with permits all the time. Many of them have public comment periods. It's not very common to get many or any comments during public comment periods for most projects. It's not that surprising, really. If I'm requesting a permit for a project that's a year or more away, it's not on the forefront of many people's minds no matter how many public meetings and mailings I've done. But when I actually start cutting down trees and bringing in bulldozers, people take notice. It's a bit of a conundrum for permitting agencies because they do have to listen to their constituents. And if they don't give in then they're painted as not caring about citizens' input.

I know this situation isn't exactly the same, but it reminds me of HOA politics. In theory, HOAs are a libertarian's ideal form of "government" - a neighborhood banding together to decide what standards they want to hold day other. In practice, HOAs are often little tyrannies.

Beware the leopard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I agree with Eric. Or in their deed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
Chigwell, Essex, London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
myopia wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

There are zoning restrictions and the like to keep these things reasonable. Telling someone they can't build a house because you don't like the architecture, after they're already cleared all the zoning and permit hurdles, is horseshit.

Hey its not my dipshit retrospective planning law. I'm just responding to the idea that property rights uber alles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
Chigwell, Essex, London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Sure, it will go good next to the farms already adjacent to my property. Good luck getting some land near me.

OK just insert whatever building would really piss you off and try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
myopia wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Sure, it will go good next to the farms already adjacent to my property. Good luck getting some land near me.

OK just insert whatever building would really piss you off and try again.

I'm going to buy the plot next to him and paint a big mural of Obama on the side with Hope and Change written in pink across the side. Then I'll put lots of feminist slogans on signs all around the yard.

This is written in black font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
Chigwell, Essex, London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
That's why I own 5 acres.

Ooh I've got it. Wind farms. Beatiful green energy, heavily government subsidised wind farms as far as the eye can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

They'll probably fall in love as teenagers, even as their parents forbid it, and then both commit suicide in a tragic misunderstanding.

I was hoping someone would get that. You didn't let me down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruiner of Things
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to attend planning and zoning commission meetings early in my misguided journalism career.

Let's just say that nothing saps my will to live more than listening to aggrieved taxpayers--they always point out that they are taxpayers because that's like street cred for the planning and zoning groupies--complain that their neighbor's new carport would obstruct the view of the fire hydrant and "somebody oughta do something!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is not an attractive house.

Usually, when building in an established neighborhood, you try to make your new building fit in. It's called Contexturalism, it's a sound concept, and quite neighborly.

I can understand how the established neighbor might have a negative view of the new neighbor's house, shit, some people get pissed when you paint your existing house a different color, but to have the permit pulled is just stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, most unpainted, unfinished houses look less attractive.

Here is what it should look like when it's finished (and I have no doubt it will be finished at this point).

Here.. if it works.. is a link to google maps. You have to click satellite yourself.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/516+Euclid+St,+Raleigh,+NC...

The rest of the neighborhood is 1940's (not even 1950's) style housing painted in pastel colors. Mostly one story.

Are we going still going to be requiring people to buy and build this style of house in 2085? Most people today no longer want to live in this style of house. The people who built these houses originally didn't have to build them in a 1870 style.

Come on. Seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Can't say I think the house stands out to much compared to the house of their lovely neighbor. Not my style, but not an eyesore either.

I can echo Ben's comment above. I deal a bit with decisions to develop stuff a bit, and it works exactly as he said. You announce through the proper channels, go the extra mile and hold meetings, advertise, whatever. Either people won't pay attention and then get their panties in a bunch when developing starts. Or some grass roots initiative will spring up, usually 2 or 3 die hard opponents who claim to represent whole townships. They'll oppose permits to the highest court, lose, and then there will STILL be outrage once development starts.

It's lose lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Are we going still going to be requiring people to buy and build this style of house in 2085? Most people today no longer want to live in this style of house. The people who built these houses originally didn't have to build them in a 1870 style.

Come on. Seriously.

So basically the new house is too pretty for its neighbourhood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.