Subject: Why I hate "Collectibles" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta rant, sorry.

I got my second Grav box this weekend, 60 packs, 120 cards.

2 Rare
0 Super-Rare

Out of a total of 2 Grav boxes (120 packs, 240 cards).

7 Rare
1 Super-Rare (Mr. Fantastic)

Still missing 1 uncommon,

and I have a gazzillion common cards.

I know the SR are not necessarily better than the commons, I know I can go on ebay and buy a complete set, I know I can have a lot of fun out of what I have (or even the base set) but, part of the appeal of the Collectible genre is getting those Rares and Super-Rares in a pack.

But the down side for me is getting bummed out for not even getting a SR out of 120 cards. Sorry, that's it for me. Collectibles are just not worth it for me. I love the idea of Dice Masters, of the game mechanism. I'll keep what I have and play some but, I won't buy anymore Dice Masters, neither Marvel, Yugiho nor D&D.

I would have loved it had it come in a LDG (Live Dice Game) format. Buy an Avengers expansion, get all the Avengers card. Buy a X-Men expansion and get them all. Buy a Villains... You get my drift.

Anyway, I understand, Collectibles are just not for me, I won't let the door hit me as I leave. It's just that I really like the gameplay but the missing cards just gnaw at the back of my mind and poison my fun.

Ciao and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get an SR in two boxes, but I have to wonder where you got your boxes from?

Every box I know that was opened had the 10 rares in it. I wonder if your source was going through boxes, pulling until they got the SR, and then repacking the boxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Varishna Khisanth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, all 3 of my boxes had 10 rares each in them and two of them had a SR in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Metelo
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
I didn't get an SR in two boxes, but I have to wonder where you got your boxes from?

Every box I know that was opened had the 10 rares in it. I wonder if your source was going through boxes, pulling until they got the SR, and then repacking the boxes?

Yep. Definitively the boxes seemed really strange. Were they all in the original box? or were they individual packs that were sold as a lot of 60?

Every single box I have seen opened (from a "sealed GF" in front of me had 10 rares.

On a side note, I usually, just pick up the singles you need/want, and save the whole random stuff. the only time I buy the boxes is when I wanta large number of commons and uncommons. Chasing rare/SR through boosters is a sure money sink.

PS - "Sealed" because they really are not sealed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an online distributor, I have all confidence in them, they don't deal in singles.

And when I say 7 Rares, I mean 7 different Rares, I have some doubles in there, not sure how many since I'm at work and can't check right now.

Still, I just find it very aggravating. It's a very personal feeling and one I can't come to terms with so I'll rather just give up now rather than sink more $$$ in it and get more ulcers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, getting 2 or 5 rares is not in line with what almost everyone else is experiencing. I think you might have bought some repacks - open a few boxes until you find an SR, then pack the extra packs into a single box and sell it as new.

-Edit-
The box with 2 rares - was that just 2 new rares, with extras? Or 2 total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said, I'll have to check when I get home, I know I had more than 2 rares, just most of them were dupes. I'll get a real count tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Warwolf42 wrote:
It's an online distributor, I have all confidence in them, they don't deal in singles.

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean someone at the source didn't go through the boxes for themselves. Personally, I wouldn't buy any non-sealed collectible from them and the MDM dice feeds aren't. I'd also e-mail them and let them know what happened and your intention not to buy these types of things from them again.

Definitely not getting a SR is the worst thing. I suspect the prices will go down when the stock levels even out, and expansion cards reduce the effectiveness of the two most-desired ones.

On the other hand, you should be able to pick up the missing ones at a decent price, maybe even trade some rare cards for your missing ones. I've found the game to be a blast and we're allowing players to print scans of the cards in our friendly play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel you. I bypassed the collectability of this game by buying complete sets of commons + uncommons plus all the needed dice for roughly the price of one gravity feed. For rares and super-rares I'm using color print out proxies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Varishna Khisanth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warwolf42 wrote:
As I said, I'll have to check when I get home, I know I had more than 2 rares, just most of them were dupes. I'll get a real count tonight.

That makes sense then. Part of the fun for me with collectible games is trading as well. I am sure you could deal some of your dupes off for the missing rares or SRs. To each their own though. If you know its not for you, you should definitely stop before you spend anything further on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
probably should have quit long before you bought 2 gfs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be a bit pissed off by the format if they made some characters ultra-rare, but I don't mind not getting some special version of, say, the green goblin, as long as there is at least a common version available.

And really, tournaments aside, it's ridiculously easy to proxy the rare version for a homemade match. Although I guess this is not acceptable if you're the completist type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWhoWho wrote:
probably should have quit long before you bought 2 gfs

probably right, especially in hindsight but, I was really enjoying the game mechanics.

1 starter and 2 gfs was going to be my original purchase, I wanted to do it all in one go but, availability stretched those over 3 purchases.

I will check when I get home how many of each rare I really have, I may just have been very unlucky and gotten many dupes, still, it doesn't change the bitter taste in my mouth and I know I don't want more of it.

I haven't even started getting around to think about OP (or perceived OP) cards like Tsarina and Gobby. Some claim as more players get into the game, counters will come. Others want "erratas" to fix them. Still others think new cards in Uncanny X-men will counter those.

That's where I loose it, I'm currently ranting that not getting those cards is aggravating not only because I'm a completist but, because they offer an advantage (or are perceived to). I'll now have to repeat the collecting process to get the counters to those cards!!!

Anyway, I'm repeating myself, as I said, I don't like the feeling the "collectible" side of the game gives me and so, I'll leave it for now. I may revisit it later because I really like the gameplay.

Thank you for all who offered alternatives.

Edit:
srcabeza wrote:
I would be a bit pissed off by the format if they made some characters ultra-rare, but I don't mind not getting some special version of, say, the green goblin, as long as there is at least a common version available.

And really, tournaments aside, it's ridiculously easy to proxy the rare version for a homemade match. Although I guess this is not acceptable if you're the completist type.

Ya, it's the completist side of me that has a problem with the "collectible" aspect of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shawn ely
msg tools
Anyone buying a GF that has less than 10 rares should never buy a GF or anything (that does not have a factory seal) from a the vendor selling it.

All GFs have 10 rares (per Wiz Kids) and the possibility of 1 SR. If the GF does not have this, then it is a repack,.. which is super easy to do. There is no seal on a grav feed. They are poorly taped and have an opening on both the bottom and top that can be accessed without breaking the "seal" of the tape. Yes, there is a white bit of tissue paper that it sorta placed in front of the top opening (not sure why), but the packs can fall out or be added/removed without any issue/trouble. The common move is for a person to buy a GF, and crack packs until they get a super rare, then sell the packs to someone else. 60 of these packs can be pushed into a sealed feed and sold as a grav feed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fearn
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
My first 25 packs from a single gravity feed at my FLGS contained 30 common, 16 uncommon, 3 rare and 1 super rare.

A few days later I found a full gravity feed at a different shop and split it with a friend. In the 120 cards, we drew 16 rares (15 unique) and 1 super rare. With the full gravity feed I didn't really care about the common uncommon split after I had acquired all of those.

I understand the collectible aspect, and I'll be happy to round out the collection, but I think it is nice that you can competitively play without going crazy on boosters.

I effectively purchased 55 packs and have in my collection Tsarina, Gobby, Angel Soaring, Jeannie and 5 other rares. I realize that I probably had much luckier pulls than many others, but there's always the chance that you can luck out in something like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does CSI sell lots of commons (if so, I can't find it on their site)? Or do y'all get the lots from eBay or a FLGS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this is embarrassing! blush

Turns out I grossly underestimated the # of rares I got.

I got a total of 19 with only 3 dupes.

I guess that's why we humans came up with the scientific method. Basically the importance of unbiased observation and fact checking and not going with your gut feeling.

I guess I was so disappointed I didn't get a Super-Rare and then quickly looked at the what rares I was still missing on the card list (just a little under half) and felt as though I got a few rares as well.

Anyway, I feel a bit better now, thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
m4rtst3r wrote:
Does CSI sell lots of commons (if so, I can't find it on their site)? Or do y'all get the lots from eBay or a FLGS?

They do. Just search for Marvel Dice Masters and they should come up. I also picked some up from eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ARGGG!!!

So after seeing my # of rare not being so bad, I just learned that they give out exclusive cards for Organized Play!

The "completist" side of me just can't take it, sorry. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shawn ely
msg tools
galathonredd wrote:
Umm... buy singles?

Seriously, I have every card/die I want from the base set, not including super-rares, for less than the price of a gravity feed. Playsets of at least two-thirds of the characters' commons, one of most of their uncommons, and a handful of rares I liked; I can now easily build 3 very competitive decks at once on less than $50. I haven't, and doubt I ever will, buy booster packs - I hate blind-buys so much, whether I love this game or not, and I avoid them like the plague.

Probably the best way to get into the game and/or be competitive. I am a completist, but honestly, I probably only use a handful of rares, and 2 super rares (really only 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cres DeLeon
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Wizkids also made note of the lack of super rares in their GFs and are trying to rectify it, well, kinda.

They are upping the GFs to hold 90 packs now and are making it so that each one has at least 1 super rare. Granted buying a restock GF when they hit the shelves next month will cost 30 bucks more and equate to 1 1/2 current GFs, but at least you will be guaranteed a super rare. This will definitely appeal to the "completest" collector.

I lucked out with the Green Goblin super rare in one of my booster packs, but I am not really jonesing for them as you cant use them in competitive play anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximus
msg tools
If I understand correctly, you're upset that a game clearly stating there's random chance in getting rares and super rares didn't provide you an absolute set of super rares in 240 cards?

Why are you expecting to find strawberries in a pack of Pringles? If you want strawberries you buy and play strawberries or learn to love Pringles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.