Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been really wondering ever since reading everything I can find on the T-47 while painting some to use in X-Wing...

what did it look like BEFORE it was modified?

Supposedly the Alliance added blasters, a Y-Wing cockpit, and armor plating to the T-47 airspeeder to make it a viable combat vehicle so I'm dying to see one pre-Alliance tinkering.

Anyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt we'll see any ground based vehicles for X-Wing, but I would love to see a whole ground based game that includes walkers, snowspeeders, and whatever they can find that can walk/roll/fly in this universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
I doubt we'll see any ground based vehicles for X-Wing, but I would love to see a whole ground based game that includes walkers, snowspeeders, and whatever they can find that can walk/roll/fly in this universe.

I'm sure it can be done. The D&D version will have both flying units and ground units that can interact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wouldn't be surprised to see ground vehicles come out in a future wave tbh.

In the interim I have a homebrew ground assault ruleset I'm using combined with Mel's AT vehicles & T-47 ship rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have, honestly, never seen anything that suggested to me that the T-47 wasn't designed to look exactly like it does and do exactly what it does - be a low-level, high-speed ground-attack aircraft. The only reference to "modifying" that appears in the movies is modifying them to deal with the cold - which makes sense, as living somewhere that routinely reaches -30 degrees C gives one a good sense of just how difficult it is to make things work in extreme cold.

But it's a combat role that would need filling, and the Rebellion was clearly able to acquire some military gear - so given that it looks like a fighter plane and not like a hovertruck with a gun on it, I'm pretty solidly convinced that it is, in fact, a purpose-designed fighter plane that the Rebels scrounged from somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-47_airspeeder

Wookieepedia says that they were modified with de-icing units & heaters, armor plating & cockpit modules from Y-wings, & blaster cannons as well turning the cargo handler station into a gunners station.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugin wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

I'm sure it can be done. The D&D version will have both flying units and ground units that can interact.
That's why I think the D&D version will succeed quite well. It has the ability to have ground and sky units. Space and ground just makes no sense at all. "But what if they're fighting in the atmosphere???" Well then we would have to change the maneuverability of all the ships. TIEs for instance aren't very maneuverable in atmosphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
Hugin wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

That's why I think the D&D version will succeed quite well. It has the ability to have ground and sky units. Space and ground just makes no sense at all. "But what if they're fighting in the atmosphere???" Well then we would have to change the maneuverability of all the ships. TIEs for instance aren't very maneuverable in atmosphere.

They could introduce a sort of "arena" approach. Like they did with the WotC TCG where you fought in space, ground and character arenas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morgothrond wrote:
killerardvark wrote:
Hugin wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

They could introduce a sort of "arena" approach. Like they did with the WotC TCG where you fought in space, ground and character arenas.
I just don't see the potential crossover. If they do it, I think it'll be a seperate game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Howlrunner and her comrade Winged Gundark are both from a squadron that flew TIEs modified for atmospheric flight. Every mission in Rogue Squadron save for 1 is in atmosphere. TIE bombers were supposedly used to assault Echo base & collapse the undergound corridors. And the Battle of Endor supposedly had atomspheric fighter dogfights as well as the space battle. That's just a few examples I can think of off the top of my head that were considered some form of canon before Disney got ahold of the franchise.

It would not be hard to make a few minor tweaks such as it being more difficult for ground targets to shoot and be shot at by aerial targets. Plus just simply make red maneuvers impossible in atmosphere. I've already got a quick & dirty version we use that addresses all of that including taking off and landing & it's like 2 pages typed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
Hugin wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

Eh, there's a fair amount of successful (and awesome) videogames and books that disagree with space fighters not working well on ground missions or being enjoyable for the consumer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.