Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachery Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Game Dev: The Card Game

Let me start by saying I know I've started a lot of WIP but right now I'm the only one working on my game and thus laziness kicks in and the tasks becomes daunting to me and thus I give up on my game idea. Well today my day job stress levels sky rocketed and now I'm fully focused on designing this game and throwing it onto Kickstarter.

Now I'm not sure if I'm the only one who suffers from this or not. I have a good idea for a game and it's mechanics but figuring out how someone wins it is my downside. So sadly at this point I don't have a way on how to win this game, I'm thinking by either meeting so many goals, or by releasing five 10 out of 10 games, or a combination of both.

----------------------July 14, 2014 Update------------------------------

Concept:
You are a video game developer, but making simply games in your significant others basement, your garage, or in your bedroom just isn't good enough. You want to be the big dog in the video game race.

Start from a number of basic locations with a simple game engine and take on projects releasing games to earn a profit to buy new engine parts, buy employees, and expand your studio. Be the first to either release five 10/10 games or meet three goals and win the game.

Quick game Mechanics:
Start the game with a bio card, it'll have a funny little background story and tell you where your studio is located. It'll also give you a bonus to how many cards you may be able to play, draw, or keep in your hand. It'll also have a negative effect.

Then start with a basic Game Engine. A Game Engine can only have one graphics card (a paint brush symbol), one sound card (a music note symbol), and two extra cards (a disc symbol). The amount of cards your Game Engine can support can be upgraded later.

Your Game Engine contains the rules for you turn. The Basic Engine starts with the following:

Simple Sound
Draw One

Text Based
Play One

The Extra cards are randomly drawn from the Tech Level One Deck. Thus giving you four Game Engine cards to start the game. The tech in the game grows as cards are used or as you upgrade your studio.

Sadly this is as far as I am with the solidified game mechanics. The game will also contain the following.

Game Projects, these are the games that you've been assigned or have decided to take on. You keep this card a secret as you may want to reveal your project later to build hype for your game. Or a negative effect card may come in to play that forces your game to be leaked early.

Game Projects contain a launch date, this is when you should release the game to make the expected most profit. To meet the launch date on time you need to meet the launch points You get these by playing work/improvement cards (Still working on what to call these). How many you can play per turn is based on your engine and bio. Improvement/Work cards increase your games rating as well.

Players may play negative effect cards on you or even random events may effect when you launch. You may go past the launch date but it may effect how much money you make. Releasing your game without meeting the launch points means you released a buggy game, this may also effect your profit.

There is also a calendar slider, each turn is 2 weeks. The calendar is important because it'll show when a good time to release a game is, like Christmas or start of summer. The calendar also lets you know when new tech is available so you can upgrade your Game Engine and start using better improvement/work cards.

What do I spend my profit on? You can spend profit to research new Game Engine tech. When profit is pent this way profit is discarded, the danger here is that you may uncover research you already have or don't have an interest in. You can also spend profit on studio upgrades. Profit spent this way is like mana in Magic. You need to be able to afford your studio upgrades every week. Electricity and employees cost money you know! The studio upgrade include employees, bigger offices, Game Engine size upgrades, and departments such as a better research division and even a marketing group.

Events! The business world is a crazy unknown place. Things can happen at any moment. Your game may be leaked, your power may go out, some other company may be releasing a game just like yours, or you may even be bought out by one of the Gaming power houses forced to make first party games. I'm not sure how events will happen yet. I'm thinking every player rolls a D6 at the end of their turn if it's a 5 or 6 a random event happens. It either effects everyone or it may only effect you.

I'll be updating this first post as my progress grows. Pictures and so on.

Thanks for your time in reading about the game I'm working on.

----------------------July 15, 2014 Update------------------------------

The Game Board

Every Player will receive a game board. At the top will be an area for you to place your Game Project face down. Below will be a window with two numbers displayed. The Blue colored number will be adjusted to the Launch Points you must meet. The Orange colored numbers will be moved as you work on your game, this will help you keep track to how close you are to meeting your launch points for your game.

The Game board will also have a Hype slider on it. As your game builds hype through leaks, reveals, demos, advertisement, trailers, and events your hype will increase. Hype effects how much Profit your game will make. If your game is set to make two profit and you use hype correctly to build up to your launch you could easily double or even quadruple your expected profits. This works well when your running behind on launch points and don't want to lose all your profit.

Releasing a buggy will end up in you having to skip your next turn, to represent you creating an update to fix the bugs. For each turn you're game is delayed you'll lose one profit, so you can use hype to negate the effects of your game being delayed. You can also cancel game, doing this will of course upset any fans you have so this will result in you losing a turn as well. Cancelling your game just means that perhaps you're too far behind and you know you can't build up the hype so you just abandon the project and start a new one.

There are also five types of Major game companies in the game.

Blue: Sunny
Green: Megasoft
Purple: Pretendo
Orange: Other
Grey: PC

At the start of the game your work/improvement cards (Still working on what to call these) only add what they say they do like perhaps 1 LP (Launch Point). You can upgrade your Game Engine to support the other companies with Dev Kits from your studio upgrade deck. Buying dev kits doubles the effect of your work/improvement cards when working on a game supported by any of the four colors. 80% of the cards will support PC.

Lastly below is a quick concept I designed for the Game Project cards. Very basic but you get the idea. I'll have some more concepts and basic prototype up later today or at least tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachery Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
I just want to post a quick Thank You to those who gave me thumbs up. Great motivation. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ZacheryRCook wrote:
I just want to post a quick Thank You to those who gave me thumbs up. Great motivation. Thanks.

Well, it's a cool them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachery Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
kurthl33t wrote:
ZacheryRCook wrote:

Well, it's a cool them.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachery Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
I've updated the first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ZacheryRCook wrote:

It's actually usually better to just make a completely new post. You don't want your subscribers to pore over the original post, trying to figure out exactly what you've added, and you don't want to bury new arrivals in a ton of information up front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachery Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
kurthl33t wrote:
ZacheryRCook wrote:

It's actually usually better to just make a completely new post. You don't want your subscribers to pore over the original post, trying to figure out exactly what you've added, and you don't want to bury new arrivals in a ton of information up front.

True but I don't want people to get too lost either, If the replies start going off onto other pages a reader may need to go through five pages to see everything, Unless perhaps I just update the first page with the important stuff once I'm actually all done.

Good tip, thanks. No point in making the first post super long either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.