Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my son and I have been playing some 2 player lately - on hard.

We have noticed this strange thing that happens late in the game (last round usually - sometimes last 2 if we have guessed well) - and here it is:

Artifacts are intentionally capped (currently at 8 - possibly 10,11 or even more when KS is done...maybe? - I'll ask that at the end). Many of the dire enemies only do one damage to the region they are in (the Harpy only does more than 1 if other regions aren't already a little beat up). Only the ghost does damage and hurts a region. Therefore, we have noticed that it is often better to simply avoid the dires once the artifacts have run out, as they often cause less damage than a simple horde card. Why spend two health to defend against something that is only going to do 1 damage?

It just seems odd that there is an apparent disincentive for our beloved heroes to avoid these awful fiends - and just let them run amok, as the amok they are running does less damage in the long run.

The other question this raises is...once the final version of the TED is set (with 10, 11, 12+ artifacts) will there be a cap? Will it be 8?

Not that this is a "problem" per se - just a strategic layer if you will. An observation. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you and your son are showing great adaptive tactics. That's exactly when I would do when the artifact deck runs dry. You're measuring risk vs. reward and doing the best thing to save the capitol. I also think that kind of adaptive thinking should be needed to beat the game on hard. You should just be able to do the same things for one extra round.

In fact, limiting artifacts might be another way to grade difficulty for the game. We certainly don't want to make the official rules too complex, but a nice fan variant might be a hard mode with 2 dire foes but only six artifacts. Draw them randomly before the game just like horde cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.