9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: R2d2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi I'm just about to have my 2nd game of this, this time going to include an upgrade card, Am I correct in thinking rd2d every round can recover a shield after performing a green manoeuvre? Doesn't it make that ship inbeatable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you are playing it correct. Every green he can get a shield. Of course this maxes out at your initial shield value. It's not unbeatable. It gets beat either by focussed fire, or by making green maneuvers very detrimental to the player therefore forcing them to do white or red maneuvers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Am I correct in thinking rd2d every round can recover a shield after performing a green manoeuvre? Doesn't it make that ship inbeatable?

That's correct. It's once per round, R2-D2 is unique so you can only put him on one ship, and he's expensive at 4 points. So that's the balance to his good ability.

If your opponent only gets one damage through per round and if you keep taking greens, then I guess so! But that's pretty unlikely.

Also, check out the FAQ for order of shield recovery when dealing with asteroids, etc.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you again, I'm struggling with the rules for this game, I'm normally quite good with rules, not sure if it's because it's my very 1st game of this type or what, it's the upgrade card effects that are baffling me, just sat down with the wife with the core set, wondering which pilots and which uprades to play with,
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Thank you again, I'm struggling with the rules for this game, I'm normally quite good with rules, not sure if it's because it's my very 1st game of this type or what, it's the upgrade card effects that are baffling me, just sat down with the wife with the core set, wondering which pilots and which uprades to play with,
Thanks

R2-D2 is very good when your squad size (in points) is small. At 100 points (e.g. more than a core set), he isn't "too good" because his opponent can probably get a lot of shots on him in a given round and take him out before he regenerates more than a shield or two. But for smaller games (e.g. less than 60 points), R2-D2 is somewhat overpowered and probably should be avoided (e.g. "banned" for your casual match if you want the Imperial player to have a reasonable chance at winning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found him to be very good in an E-Wing, with three shields to work on and three agility.

that's in your future, though, if you're just starting.

In the core, well, he pairs up with Luke fantastically well, as one would expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Of course, if Luke is always doing greens, it's not that hard to stay behind him and look for the lucky rolls. Takes a long time, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Richardson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find R2D2 particularly good when you think about his ability in terms of a benifit to stress. You can pull that K turn when you need to, and don't feel near as bad about doing a green maneuver to de-stress when you get a shield back aswell...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
R2D2 combined with Draw their fire is awesome when you are trying to protect Biggs or other squishy 1 agility team mates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.