Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Go» Forums » General

Subject: Best free Android Go version + best HTML5 or Java Go? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In August I will be teaching Go to a group of undergraduates. A lot of them have smart phones. A recent post of mine asked about the best free iPhone Go apps to recommend to them.

I am writing now with two more questions.

--> 1. What is the best free Android Go app that I should recommend to them?

--> 2. Is there a good and convenient web-based Go AI applet I could point them to in order to try out the game right from a web browser?

By "convenient" I mean one that you can play right away with minimum hassle (e.g. no having to create a user account or register in other ways, etc.). By "good" I mean decent AI, the ability to set handicap stone amounts, and an explanation of the scoring (i.e. how the score was derived: territory + captured stones + komi, etc.).

I know of two HTML5 applets:

Cosumi

and

Peepo

But neither of them is what I have in mind for my students. Neither explains how the scoring at the end was computed, and neither allows you to set handicap stones. Plus the Peepo user interface is confusing (not to mention the fact that the stones are green and red!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's anything like Igowin Tutor on Android.
I'll post the apps I'm using on my phone, and see if i find something aimed more at beginners when i get on the pc.

As for html5 app, I don't think there's anything that does everything you ask for here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike James
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AI Factory App for GO is pretty good for beginners. It has multiple difficulty settings and a pretty good set of rules. However, you have to pay to play a full game on the full size board.

GoDroid is very good, but not so much for beginners, but it is totally free.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
--> 2. Is there a good and convenient web-based Go AI applet I could point them to in order to try out the game right from a web browser?

By "convenient" I mean one that you can play right away with minimum hassle (e.g. no having to create a user account or register in other ways, etc.). By "good" I mean decent AI, the ability to set handicap stone amounts, and an explanation of the scoring (i.e. how the score was derived: territory + captured stones + komi, etc.).


In case anyone else is interested, I would like to mention that since my OP, I have discovered that the site https://online-go.com/ comes pretty close to meeting these criteria. You do have to register with it, so it's not a perfect match, but registration is just a matter of typing in a username and password; it takes just a few seconds.

In fact, my class started today, and my students are already having Java compatibility issues that are preventing some from registering with KGS. So, reluctantly, I may have to forego hosting my classroom GO tournament on KGS (which I have used in the past, and love) and instead host it on the Online Go site instead. (I'm told that updates to KGS are coming soon, but they probably won't be soon enough for my classroom purposes this semester.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Moore
msg tools
I've got a number of apps on my Android phone:

--> Gobandroid: This is a nice app: you can download a GNU-Go extension to play against a reasonable computer opponent. In my opinion it's best feature is it's syncing with gogameguru.com - their weekly tsumego are automatically downloaded, and you also get a number of pro games commended by Ann Youngil 7p.

--> BW-Go Free: I mainly use this because it can sync with the dragon go server for correspondence go.

--> Pachi: This is an android implementation of the *very strong*, monte-carlo Pachi program. This app is a bit frustrating - even on the lowest difficulty a humble beginner like myself (12kyu or so) can never get close to winning at 9x9.

--> Pandanet tetsuki: This is a terrible app if you don't want to waste countless hours playing go online. It's a very smooth interface to the popular Pandanet-IGS. Because there's so many players, their auto-match typically takes just a few seconds to find you a game, and it's a pleasure to play with this app.

--> Champion Go This is the only go app I've paid for - it is based on the Monte Carlo program Crazy Stone. I got it because I hoped it would provide a greater range of AI opponents, and I haven't been dissappointed. Currently I'm beating level 4/10 at 19x19 and level 2/5 at 9x9, and I hope to move up that list as I improve.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
cdunc123 wrote:
--> 2. Is there a good and convenient web-based Go AI applet I could point them to in order to try out the game right from a web browser?

By "convenient" I mean one that you can play right away with minimum hassle (e.g. no having to create a user account or register in other ways, etc.). By "good" I mean decent AI, the ability to set handicap stone amounts, and an explanation of the scoring (i.e. how the score was derived: territory + captured stones + komi, etc.).


In case anyone else is interested, I would like to mention that since my OP, I have discovered that the site https://online-go.com/ comes pretty close to meeting these criteria. You do have to register with it, so it's not a perfect match, but registration is just a matter of typing in a username and password; it takes just a few seconds.

In fact, my class started today, and my students are already having Java compatibility issues that are preventing some from registering with KGS. So, reluctantly, I may have to forego hosting my classroom GO tournament on KGS (which I have used in the past, and love) and instead host it on the Online Go site instead. (I'm told that updates to KGS are coming soon, but they probably won't be soon enough for my classroom purposes this semester.)
I would have suggested that if you didn't have that criteria in place.
It's where I play more, currently. Although I mostly play turn-based, you can play live, or do demonstrations, or review, etc. Seems pretty flexible, even if it can be a little slow to load on this laptop. On the phone, it takes too long loading, though. Might just be my phone, but I'd be wary of recommending it on phone if you don't know it loads well there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
I don't think there's anything like Igowin Tutor on Android.
I'll post the apps I'm using on my phone, and see if i find something aimed more at beginners when i get on the pc.

As for html5 app, I don't think there's anything that does everything you ask for here.
I kept forgetting about this. blush

tom26 wrote:
I've got a number of apps on my Android phone:

--> Gobandroid: This is a nice app: you can download a GNU-Go extension to play against a reasonable computer opponent. In my opinion it's best feature is it's syncing with gogameguru.com - their weekly tsumego are automatically downloaded, and you also get a number of pro games commended by Ann Youngil 7p.

--> BW-Go Free: I mainly use this because it can sync with the dragon go server for correspondence go.

--> Pachi: This is an android implementation of the *very strong*, monte-carlo Pachi program. This app is a bit frustrating - even on the lowest difficulty a humble beginner like myself (12kyu or so) can never get close to winning at 9x9.

--> Pandanet tetsuki: This is a terrible app if you don't want to waste countless hours playing go online. It's a very smooth interface to the popular Pandanet-IGS. Because there's so many players, their auto-match typically takes just a few seconds to find you a game, and it's a pleasure to play with this app.

--> Champion Go This is the only go app I've paid for - it is based on the Monte Carlo program Crazy Stone. I got it because I hoped it would provide a greater range of AI opponents, and I haven't been dissappointed. Currently I'm beating level 4/10 at 19x19 and level 2/5 at 9x9, and I hope to move up that list as I improve.

-I have Gobandroid Tiny, although I rarely use it. The AI you can download is good enough for beginners, but the interface can be a bit strange to get used to. I sometimes use it for recording face to face games. I haven't tried the HD version yet.

-anDGS is a DGS client, but is also a good face to face game recorder. It's what I mostly use to record in tournaments.

-Pandanet Go (formerly tetsuki), despite the word "terrible" in the above, is as good as Tom said. Given the international player base it has, there's something that's pretty cool: Some preset greetings and phrases you can pick from in the chat, that show in the language shown in the program, to each person. Helps facilitate communication.
I think there's more content than just playing games to it, but I haven't tried the rest, so only commenting on the playing.

-Tsumego Pro is a Go problems app, with a good interface, and a decent set of problems, plus daily problems.

Go Free (AI Factory) has a good interface, but is only strong enough for beginners except on the 9x9. You can choose between japanese and chinese rules, and it has a decent rules explanation.
You can only play 60 moves on the 19x19 board in this free version, though.

Not free:
-Go KGS is paid, but still good. It's an android client for KGS. You can play, review, watch games. The only downside is that it has no functionality if you're not connected to the server. :|

-GoGrinder is another Go problems(tsumego) app. It comes with a decent set of problems too, and you can add as much as you want, either self-made, or downloaded online. I think it's paid, but I can't see that yet, while logged in.

Game clock apps:

-Chess Clock for Android I used a lot, before getting a phone where there's no "context menu" key. This app doesn't adapt, and you can't access clock settings without it. However, it was pretty flexible in its settings, lots of possible options.

-Simple Go Clock is just what it's called. However, also has the same problem with the lack of a "context menu" key. No settings. :|

-I now use this Chess Clock. It's the best free one I could find.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.