Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me preface this by saying that I have played most of the nominees and enjoy most of the games nominated...

HOWEVER, none of the games nominated, nor recommended would I consider "expert" game.

Concordia
Rococo
Istanbul
Amerigo
Guildhall
Russian Railroads
Blood Bound

Many of those are really good, really solid, fun games. But to label them "expert" games is laughable. Where is: Madeira, Wildcatters, The Capitals, 1862, Cuba Libre, among others? Those are heavy, "expert" games. Why is this section of the hobby overlooked when it comes to awards? Because the general public has such disdain for heavy 'thinky' games? Even if that is the case, why can this part of the hobby not get rewarded for superior game design, too?

/rant

Eta: We're creating our own award(s): Heavy Cardboard Awards are coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all relative. Relative to Camel Up, they're all expert.

I agree with you that Madeira deserves to win some awards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think the word means what you think it means...Just because a literal translation of "Kenner" is "Expert" - that's not what it means. It's been discussed to death, but it should be translated as "Gamer's game" which is, I think, an appropriate category for most of those games to be filed under.

CamelUp is a game ou can break out with non-gamers. Russian railroads is probably something you shouldn't throw someone into for a first game.

As for the other question as to why the really heavy games don't get awards, you're probably right. Convene a panel and make the Heavy Cardboard awards! Absolutely no sarcasm there - I'd check em out even though I have no interest at all in most of the titles you mentioned (except Madeira).

My prediction is that Madeira will get a nomination in the IGA awards next year. Mark your calendars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
OR
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Music industry awards, film industry awards and the rest are all silly profit driven attempts at quantifying subjective works. Board game awards are obviously no different. I find the BGG "Similarly Rated" feature a far more useful indicator of whether a game is going to appeal to me or not than any individual review or industry award.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
I do not think the word means what you think it means...Just because a literal translation of "Kenner" is "Expert" - that's not what it means. It's been discussed to death, but it should be translated as "Gamer's game" which is, I think, an appropriate category for most of those games to be filed under.

CamelUp is a game ou can break out with non-gamers. Russian railroads is probably something you shouldn't throw someone into for a first game.

As for the other question as to why the really heavy games don't get awards, you're probably right. Convene a panel and make the Heavy Cardboard awards! Absolutely no sarcasm there - I'd check em out even though I have no interest at all in most of the titles you mentioned (except Madeira).

My prediction is that Madeira will get a nomination in the IGA awards next year. Mark your calendars!

We are discussing doing just that. It's a shame that that part of the hobby is just overlooked, award-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
We are discussing doing just that. It's a shame that that part of the hobby is just overlooked, award-wise.

I thought it was called the BGG Top 100. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well.. Largest problem with Kennerspiel/SdJ is that they recognize only games with german editions. I think it should be more internationally oriented, as KS and US based board/cardgames now stand little chance unless they get published in German as well.

International Game of the Year award would counteract that. I also think that there should be a Ameritrash award or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruud2009 wrote:
Well.. Largest problem with Kennerspiel/SdJ is that they recognize only games with german editions. I think it should be more internationally oriented, as KS and US based board/cardgames now stand little chance unless they get published in German as well.

SdJ is a german game award, so german editions only seems quite reasonable. Of course the award is recognized internationally by now, but that wasn't the original intention (or predictable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruud2009 wrote:

International Game of the Year award would counteract that. I also think that there should be a Ameritrash award or something.

It's called "Spiel des Jahres", not "Länderspiel des Jahres". It's a German award to promote games in Germany (or at least German speaking countries).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruud2009 wrote:
I also think that there should be a Ameritrash award or something.

It's called the Dice Tower Awards

(maybe not so ameritrash, just "Theme-focused" possibly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
eapeas wrote:

5 out of 5 bazingas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
I think you're judging things incorrectly here. Take something like TV quiz shows. The mass market "Name a country starting with F that rhymes with Bance" type shows throw money at their winners (and non winners) yet you take a really intelligent quiz like Mastermind in the UK, the winner gets a nice glass bowl and the pride in knowing they won.

SDJ and such are useful tools to advertise the hobby as a whole to a wider audience. Madeira may be awesome (I hope it is, still not got my copy to the table) but the chances of that significantly benefiting from being publicized to a broad audience is far far less than a game they can pick up and play in 10 minutes tops.

All that aside though, awards more aimed within the hobby for games that melt your face would be nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:

And/or DSP. Top 4 for 2013 were Terra Mystica, Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, Brugge, Bora Bora
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:

Can't remember the source, but I think I've heard somewhere KdJ is basically "the next step games" award. In a way it's a recognition to the gaming hobby that developed through years, but still the idea behind the award isn't awarding the best game (gasp) rather it's in finding such a game that is best at promoting boardgaming amongst those not yet fully gamers.

I wouldn't say it's an "expert game" award, neither a "gamer's game" award - it's translated as a "Connoisseur game award", meining one who has played some games before and is "in the know".

SdJ on the other hand aims at families and, even more so, at casual gamers. As such it had some blunders where people reacted negatively - especially Tikal + Torres. But also Dominion and I'd guess El Grande as well. Basically those games which bgg masses think highly of were mistakes (in terms of SdJ's target audiences) and would be a better fit for the KdJ award, had it existed. The response to Dominion was probably crucial in establishing KdJ award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
[...] "expert" games. Why is this section of the hobby overlooked when it comes to awards?

Do people playing expert level board games really NEED any award telling them which games are good?

Spiel des Jahres and Kennerspiel des Jahres are explicitly devoted to attract a wider public to the board game hobby. Like it or not, but that's the way it is. As mentioned before, Deutscher Spiele-Preis is usually a better match for the BGG reading folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
eapeas wrote:

When was the last time you looked at the Top 100?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if you're going to complain about something, come up with a solution...

So we did! Heavy Cardboard Awards are coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.