Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Captain James Morris
Camp Mortar Strike
Afghanistan-Pakistan Frontier

Dear Captain Morris,

This letter is to inform you that due to recent decisions to drawdown American troop levels, vacate Afghanistan and return America back to the same peaceful nature and military levels it had prior to World War Two, your service with the US Army will terminate when you return from your current deployment.

The original document terminating your service will be presented to you on the tarmac when your MATS flight arrives at Fort Bragg.

The Pentagon and President Obama thank you for your years of service and in recognition of your multiple deployments to the war torn region you will also be awarded a certificate of accomplishment when you arrive.

We here at the Pentagon wish you the best in your job search when your current deployment ends and it's our fondest hope that it doesn't end tragically before the deployment is finished, after all you've sacrificed for us here that would be a cruel twist. We do understand that the transition from a military career to civilian life can sometimes be difficult so to help ease the stress President Obama has created Community Outreach Partners For Our Troops centers in every major, minor and small town in America. These COPFOT workers are even now engaged in contacting the friends and family of all our soldiers due to be terminated upon their return and we're pleased to offer the following good news for you when you get back home to Carlsbad, New Mexico:

Your best friend from high school, Joe Schmarken, has partnered with the COPFOT center in Carlsbad and has reported back that your wife, though distraught with your multiple deployments and now the news of your impending joblessness, has been comforted by Joe's daily attentiveness and his willingness to be that strong male shoulder she can cry on.

Other good news is that your three children have been seeing a COPFOT counselor to assure them that daddy is not a murderer, just a military man, and Joe has made their sad little lives brighter by buying them all new sporting equipment and taking them to McDonald's daily for Happy Meals. All gratis, funded by the American taxpayers via the COPFOT.

The only slight negative adjustment you might have to make is regarding your dog Champ. Joe reports that Champ had become increasingly protective of your children and that it escalated to the level where Joe unfortunately had to shoot Champ to gain entry to your home.

While COPFOT doesn't have a budget for pet replacement both Joe and you wife have already contacted the local human society to see if they can adopt a kitten in time for your arrival back in New Mexico.

Thank you again Captain Morris. President Obama and the entire nation appreciates your service and sacrifice. Good luck on your job hunt and make sure you check the record of your local VA hospital before setting any appointments.

Sincerely.

The Pentagon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I didn't know you were on my moms Facebook feed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond the hilarious jokes, is the main point here that it is difficult for veterans to find gainful employment in private industry?

Don't most people want to leave the military at some point?

Also, doesn't the military more or less market itself as a vocational school?

Won't the people who are "losing their jobs" because a war ended ("The Taliban terk er jerbs!") still be eligible for free college and a wide variety of benefits that we rightfully provide to veterans? Should we continue to fight wars to provide job security?

Again, I recognize that this is a veritable conservative laff riot, but what is the point here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So one less government worker your tax dollars need to pay for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:

Again, I recognize that this is a veritable conservative laff riot, but what is the point here?

If America would get off its ass and invade Iran, good men like Captain Morris would still have jobs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:

I'm sure lots of men are on your mom's "Facebook feed." Know what I mean? Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink. Say no more.

Well I wouldn't be surprised knowing Tripps track record of crazy women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
but what is the point here?

Sorry Jeff, you'd never get it, even if you did get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
Beyond the hilarious jokes, is the main point here that it is difficult for veterans to find gainful employment in private industry?

Don't most people want to leave the military at some point?

Also, doesn't the military more or less market itself as a vocational school?

Won't the people who are "losing their jobs" because a war ended ("The Taliban terk er jerbs!") still be eligible for free college and a wide variety of benefits that we rightfully provide to veterans? Should we continue to fight wars to provide job security?

I think his point was that after sending all our soldiers off to "fight for our country" the Republicans refuse to provide funding for their medical care or education as they feel it is far more important to give tax cuts to the rich. That of course has tied Obama's hands as far as what he can do to help the aforementioned soldiers, forcing Obama to give the veterans the middle finger. Truly a point very well made DWTripp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Then again, these are all Military Officers who are being laid off. Who 82.8% have a bachelors degree or better(vs. 29.9% of the U.S population as a whole).

Officers vs. Enlisted in military terms is a different beast, on a professional level. You know an officer at the 20 year mark averages $115,000 dollars a year in compensation(vs. $62K for the rest of the U.S. population with a bachelors degree)

They are well educated, and will do better than if they started laying off enlisted personnel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Heh.

Today is a good day. Cause RSP is humming along like a well-oiled machine. Responding on cue. Dismissing anything and everything that isn't within the narrow confines of Hive Mind propaganda. In essence... being the mindless stimulus response mechanism that typifies all communities laden with liberal/progressive ideologues.

I just figured there would be a more tactful way of firing a bunch of soldiers than sending them pink slips while they're deployed. But I guess morale isn't important any more when it comes to being able to fight wars. Cutting budgets, that's important.

Chapel. I picked Carlsbad because I went there a lot as a kid. I have never met your mother, that I am aware of. Do you often read things that mention places you know about and just assume the person writing had you in mind? Oh, and thank you for Googling up those officer pay stats for us. Unless that's something you just knew, and had at ready for when you might need to use it to straighten someone out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
DWTripp wrote:
Heh.

Today is a good day. Cause RSP is humming along like a well-oiled machine. Responding on cue.

Tripp's image of himself:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Downsize Government, but don't cut any jobs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Heh.

Today is a good day. Cause RSP is humming along like a well-oiled machine. Responding on cue. Dismissing anything and everything that isn't within the narrow confines of Hive Mind propaganda. In essence... being the mindless stimulus response mechanism that typifies all communities laden with liberal/progressive ideologues.

I just figured there would be a more tactful way of firing a bunch of soldiers than sending them pink slips while they're deployed. But I guess morale isn't important any more when it comes to being able to fight wars. Cutting budgets, that's important.

Chapel. I picked Carlsbad because I went there a lot as a kid. I have never met your mother, that I am aware of. Do you often read things that mention places you know about and just assume the person writing had you in mind? Oh, and thank you for Googling up those officer pay stats for us. Unless that's something you just knew, and had at ready for when you might need to use it to straighten someone out.

Bad news to someone in-theatre has always been a problem since there have been armies, Dear John letters et. al. Is this not so?

In the private sector, they send you home on the spot, so you have no time to screw up the plumbing. I think, however, it is more humane to give someone as much advanced notice as possible so that they and their spouses can make plans and organize.

Should the US military save pink slips for, for example, 60 days after someone has returned from a deployment. Perhaps. But, I think that's just one tiny example of many, and of a larger picture of how we can and ought to shepherd people from one job to another without destroying their lives. I don't like, there's the door, I hope your 50 year old ass has something to offer the market.

By the way, are those officers getting severance packages that'll shepherd them into their next career, or is it, bye and thanks for the help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:

Thanks. Now I get it. It was a long weekend.

I still think that veterans generally have excellent job prospects, are generally taken care of pretty well, and that being removed from combat is always an improvement, but maybe that's why I never enlisted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Downsize Government, but don't cut any jobs!

sauron There are ways of reducing the number of soldiers without laying any of them off. devil

Wait....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
she2 wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Heh.

Today is a good day. Cause RSP is humming along like a well-oiled machine. Responding on cue.

I am confessing, I've never seen those movies. So, like all the Star Trek "insider" jokes, I don't get them. Nor do I want to get them if I have to watch idiotic movies and bad TV to be an insider. But if you actually want to know what my image of myself in RSP is, then look no further than Muttley:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
she2 wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Heh.

I am confessing, I've never seen those movies. So, like all the Star Trek "insider" jokes, I don't get them. Nor do I want to get them if I have to watch idiotic movies and bad TV to be an insider. But if you actually want to know what my image of myself in RSP is, then look no further than Muttley:

The two characters are surprisingly similar.

The military doesn't come with "Tenure". It never has.

You move up or you move out. Peacetime means a smaller force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

Nothing that specific. I was commenting on how this is the typical propagandized conservative word salad that my mom likes to post everyday. But it's usually attached to a background picture of a bald eagle, or an american flag, or a uniformed soldier kneeling in front of a cross...Or if they are really going for heave-ho, a mix of an eagle wrapped in an american flag flying over a soldier saluting freedom, or some bullshit like that.

And I know if someday someone invents gifs with sound, I'm sure I'll get to endure a daily dose of that crap wrapped in Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA"...

At which point I am going to put my mom in a home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Clearly, in order to keep all of these soldiers gainfully employed, we should invade Iraq.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

Nothing that specific. I was commenting on how this is the typical propagandized conservative word salad that my mom likes to post everyday. But it's usually attached to a background picture of a bald eagle, or an american flag, or a uniformed soldier kneeling in front of a cross...Or if they are really going for heave-ho, a mix of an eagle wrapped in an american flag flying over a soldier saluting freedom, or some bullshit like that.

And I know if someday someone invents gifs with sound, I'm sure I'll get to endure a daily dose of that crap wrapped in Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA"...

Post this on her FB page, see what you get:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Tripp that sending redundancy notices to soldiers on active operation in a war zone is a shitty thing to do, if for no other reason the morale.

There is no question that a soldier should be sacked once he is back form active service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

How about a soldier barbecuing a bald eagle and serving it on an American flag table-cloth. Wait! That's not as patriotic as it was meant to be.... goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I agree with Tripp that sending redundancy notices to soldiers on active operation in a war zone is a shitty thing to do, if for no other reason the morale.

There is no question that a soldier should be sacked once he is back form active service.

I think it mighf depend on the nature of the active service. In hot zone combat duty sure you don't want distractions but otherwise a soldier might actually prefer a little warning. 'Hey we really don't have a job for you after the war, so you might want to look into education/orivate sector work and we've got x services to help.' would be easier to take seperately from the whole 'welcome back to civilian life!' thing instead of all at once. Mental adjustment time is a thing, and let's face it the armed forces have the best ability to watch and help service men who have a 'negative reaction' to the news while still in the service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I think it mighf depend on the nature of the active service. In hot zone combat duty sure you don't want distractions but otherwise a soldier might actually prefer a little warning. 'Hey we really don't have a job for you after the war, so you might want to look into education/orivate sector work and we've got x services to help.' would be easier to take seperately from the whole 'welcome back to civilian life!' thing instead of all at once. Mental adjustment time is a thing, and let's face it the armed forces have the best ability to watch and help service men who have a 'negative reaction' to the news while still in the service.
You can do that after they come back, it's called a period of notice. There is no reasoning why you cannot wait until after a soldier has returned before laying him off.

A person cannot adjust to civilian life whilst under fire. It adds one more concern to what is already about the most stressful situation any human being can find themselves in (people trying to kill you).

The point of this thread is this is being done to soldiers in a war zone, not soldiers back home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmm, I wonder how long before some shithead suggests that those who are let go early lose their entitlements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.