Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin Jean
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Geeky Gimp reviews at geekygimp.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone. So my disability prevents me from truly playing games solo, as my range of motion is super limited. I can't extend my arms more than four to six inches from my body. I need help playing any board game I have for this reason. But I also have a hard time getting people to play games with me. Not because of my disability, but because I don't know many gamers.

Anyway, I recently purchased a dice tray because I wanted to give Dungeon Roll a solo try. I have no problem throwing dice or using my hands to flip/turn cards. I figured I could throw the dice in the tray, and use my back scratcher (shaped like a small hand) to retrieve the dice that I can't reach. It will essentially act as an extension to my arms.

My question for you all, is what other games would you recommend for me to try solo? If you have any more questions about my limitations, feel free to ask. Also, I like most any type of game.

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can use cards, maybe Friday? it's a great game and the footprint is small that you could play on a tray on your lap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D M
United States
Playa Del Rey
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Erin, given you're dealing with a limited range of motion, here's a list of recommended games with a small footprint:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/175019/item/3279869#item32...

(If you expand the comments you'll see far more recommendations than the original posting.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Checked your collection, and wondering, have you gotten in any solo plays of Forbidden Desert or Forbidden Island?

A great guild for these resources is the1 Player guild.

A particularly lively thread of theirs is the monthly solitaire games on their table, here is July.

Oh, and you asked for game ideas -- I have been looking into Friday and Onirim, though I haven’t bought them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to hear about your limitations. I have a hard time picturing exactly what you can/can't accomplish, but if flipping and shuffling cards isn't an issue, then Friday is a great solo game. SOS Titanic is another good one that takes up a small amount of space and doesn't require much dexterity. Finally, if shuffling cards and rolling dice truly isn't a problem, you might enjoy Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set (be aware that the next base set, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set, is coming out next month). That game is hit or miss, but some people love it for a solo game. Does require a lot of shuffling during setup, though--for a solo game, 3 10-card Location decks, 1 30-card Blessings deck, and 1 15-card Character deck. Once you have built the decks, the game does not take much space and is mostly flipping cards and rolling dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Flash Point the board isn't very large and if you kept the few tokens and cubes in cups or divider tray nearby it shouldn't take up a huge amount of pace.

Elder Sign is a card game but using the same suggestion as a tray divider it might not take up a lot of space.

Maybe look into story games, like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, of course I've heard you want to have a second party check your results so you don't find out the answers and spoil second attempts.

On a related note possibly look into play-by-email games or online text RPG games, there are bound to be some that don't require huge piles of materials laid out. Maybe a traditional wargame that you could move the bits around with your stick (always a dream of mine, huge board, moving army markers with those rake-looking sticks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have already read Sherlock Holmes (because the game has spoilers), then for the use of a few d6 and a few (printable) PDFs you could play Sherlock Holmes Detective Story Game. You might even be able to get away with swaping PDFs back and forth on a tablet or something. You might need to take notes too. If you've not yet read Sherlock, all but the last 12 short stories are available for free on Gutenberg.

Utopia Engine can be played with a few d6 and 1-2 player record sheets. The latter can be laminated for replay. I vaugely recall someone making an e-sheet for it as well, but I forget if you have to be online for that or not. The theme is a bit magical-steam-punkish.

Both are solo, free to download, and about as compact as I can imagine.

If you do play with another person, I'd think Hanabi could be fairly compact if they put the draw and discard piles next to you, and maybe move your played card to the right spot in the middle once you toss it down.

Computer versions of board games might fit you well if you have a touch screen tablet, which might open up many more games to you.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jawmonkey wrote:
Maybe look into story games, like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, of course I've heard you want to have a second party check your results so you don't find out the answers and spoil second attempts.

On a related note possibly look into play-by-email games or online text RPG games, there are bound to be some that don't require huge piles of materials laid out.

Jawmonkey? More like jawninja.

Edit:
Also, I'd wonder whether any of the games made from rekinom's mineature dice would either be solo or better for you even in group play, because when the dice are that small, the rest of the game can be mineaturized too, putting the whole game within reach. Assuming you have really good eyesight though. Item #37 in this month's auction. http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/174918/item/3286513#item32...
There are pics scraimer made of games with those dice, and a link to a list of games remade with those dice.

Edit2:
I can't vouch for any of these, but there appear to be some solo Icehouse games. http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Solit...
The next question would still be, are they small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Jean
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, everyone. Some of the games mentioned I don't think I'd be able to play solo, because my reach is REALLY limited (no, I can't play Forbidden Island/Desert solo). But others mentioned look promising. I like the idea of micro games, and miniature dice would be great.

Again, thank you so much meeplemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Jean
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, re: Sherlock Holmes, I tried playing solo. It worked until I had to use that huge map. Too awkward and cumbersome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zinehappy wrote:
Also, re: Sherlock Holmes, I tried playing solo. It worked until I had to use that huge map. Too awkward and cumbersome

You mean in Sherlock Holmes CD not Sherlock Holmes DSG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Jean
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. I have the older version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Delve the Card Game and Delve: The Dice Game for when space and movement is a factor.

edit: got the wrong Delve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rog B
United Kingdom
Manchester
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmb
I tried a PnP version of Tiny Epic Defenders last night which has a nice solo game and a small footprint.
It does require a fair bit of deck reshuffling though if that might be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deny Everything
msg tools
zinehappy wrote:
Hi, everyone. So my disability prevents me from truly playing games solo, as my range of motion is super limited. I can't extend my arms more than four to six inches from my body. I need help playing any board game I have for this reason. But I also have a hard time getting people to play games with me. Not because of my disability, but because I don't know many gamers.

Anyway, I recently purchased a dice tray because I wanted to give Dungeon Roll a solo try. I have no problem throwing dice or using my hands to flip/turn cards. I figured I could throw the dice in the tray, and use my back scratcher (shaped like a small hand) to retrieve the dice that I can't reach. It will essentially act as an extension to my arms.

My question for you all, is what other games would you recommend for me to try solo? If you have any more questions about my limitations, feel free to ask. Also, I like most any type of game.

Thanks a lot!

Well, while I have plenty of Coop games, the game I play the most solo due to ease of set-up and time is Ascension. It's a simple drafting/deck-building game where you splay out 6 cards in the center, start with a starting deck, and buy/attack the cards that are displayed. The solo-version is point-oriented, but with a discrete goal. Every turn the last two cards are bought/defeated by your opponent, which gives it more of a sense of tension than simply aiming for a higher score. The Apprentice Edition is really cheap ($10 dollars I believe) if you want to try without a heavy investment.

Haven't played Star Realms or DC Comics Deck-Building Game, but my understanding is that they are similar and so probably have similar solo variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping that there is someone near you that is skilled in arts and crafts.

As a wargamer, we often have need to mount our games vertically for the same reason you would need to. It's too far to reach.

Have someone configure a boardgame for you on a magnetic surface, paper playing area and magnets on the pieces. Done correctly and placed at a height that is best for you, you should be able to get really close to it so you can manipulate the game.

It would take a little work to create but you wouldn't be so limited in what games you could play.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory point games has some print on demand that I believe print to a 8.5x11 map. I have only played the bigger versions, but games like Disaster on Everest could be worth looking at.

Also Urbion is another game that takes a little more space than Onirim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hiimjosh wrote:
Victory point games has some print on demand that I believe print to a 8.5x11 map. I have only played the bigger versions, but games like Disaster on Everest could be worth looking at.

I think Zulus on the Ramparts! could do it. The map is small and doesn't use many pieces. Much of the game involves hand management, rolling dice, and chit draw.

Here's a pic of the game to see if it's too much for you (dice tower and card-holder not included). This is a smallbox VPG game so if you've seen Cruel Necessity, Darkest Night, or Dawn of the Zeds, the size of the box is much smaller than those offerings. You can of course set it up so it's not quite so spread out:
c/o nix342

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
hiimjosh wrote:

Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp is another one from them that has a very small footprint, and is a great game.

If you have an iDevice you can play Agricola or Le Havre solo as well. And there's an android (maybe iOS too) version of Star Realms which can be a ton of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since your microbadges suggest that sci-fi themes are no problem, I'd highly recommend Astra Titanus. It's designed for solitaire play and doesn't require a lot of surface area. You'll have one 11x17" map and one 8.5x5.5" titan status sheet, plus a bit of room for rolling dice, flipping cards and holding discarded counters.

There is going to be a "Gold Banner" upgrade to it in the future with improved components and presumably more scenarios, but that doesn't have a set release date yet. May well be 2015 or later.

As a bonus, VPG tends to ship their games with miniature dice, though it seems they are no longer selling those dice directly. You can always get your hands on some of those on Amazon or eBay or dx.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
IoS games seem a perfect choice. Although you lose the tactical aspects of having physical pieces, it allows you to go beyond solo games when you're alone. I generally prefer to play multiplayer games against the computer or solo games with achievements like Roll Through the Ages, and for many games, you can easily find opponents online.

I would also recommend paper-based solo games like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (although I prefer it with a partner) and Ambush! (there's many others like this I haven't played). For big sheets like the Consulting Detective map that you need to reference but don't need to place pieces on, placing it vertically on a easel next to the table can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Jean
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, thank you everyone for your suggestions! You've all been so helpful, and this is why I love BGG.

SirPP, I actually have Roll Through the Ages on my wish list, and I didn't even think about it when I made this forum post. That game should work perfectly for me, though I am a bit concerned about being able to push the pegs in. But I can always work out another system if that doesn't work for me.

Moe45673, Zulus on the Ramparts looks to be a good one, as well. It might be a bit difficult, but I can probably arrange stuff for it to work for me.

The other suggestions look feasible. I'll have to watch some videos on them to make sure.

Pokey64, I think a vertical board would provide the same problem, maybe even worse, as I'd have to reach even further forward to get to the board. But maybe something with magnets might work, somehow.

Ryan Keane, I never thought of mounting the Sherlock Holmes map vertically! You're right, in that you just need to reference it, so that would work. Cool.

I'm going to make a GeekList soon to keep track or games I'm seriously
considering to buy. I'll post it when it's finished. Thanks again, everyone. meeple

Edited to say: I do play some iOS games (Ticket to Ride, Elder Sign), but I actually have the same problem with them as I do with board games. The iPad is a bit too big for me to reach the top, and I end up having to turn the iPad every time I have to reach there. It's doable, but gets annoying after a while
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zinehappy wrote:
Pokey64, I think a vertical board would provide the same problem, maybe even worse, as I'd have to reach even further forward to get to the board. But maybe something with magnets might work, somehow.

How can this be? I'm talking about putting the game board on a magnetic surface that can be placed, vertically, right in front of you. So close, that if you leaned forward an inch you could touch it with your nose! Attached to something adjustable in both height and angle similar to a music stand or a boom microphone stand.

I've mounted wargames on walls and the backs of doors due to space considerations or the physical size of the game itself (Fire in the East has six huge maps to deal with!) but with your limited reach you'd need it down low , close and adjustable. Forget the table. Think in terms of a chalkboard instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yardmaster Express: 2-4 player, but I saw someone make a mini size via PNP, which made me think it might work for you. http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/175533/item/3319351#item33...

Edit:
Solo, Escape from the Dead mini game, #56. Pics on the PNP thread show that it is really small. http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/175533/item/3320550#item33...

I think I can say, PnP games give you the flexability to be inventive in rearranging things or simply to print smaller, which might open up a whole group of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zinehappy wrote:
Edited to say: I do play some iOS games (Ticket to Ride, Elder Sign), but I actually have the same problem with them as I do with board games. The iPad is a bit too big for me to reach the top, and I end up having to turn the iPad every time I have to reach there. It's doable, but gets annoying after a while

Definitely give Ascension a try. Most everything you have to do is on the lower half of the screen (if memory serves). It's not a solo game, per se, but both my wife and I have enjoyed playing against the computer for years now.

I'm not sure if it would be help or hindrance, but a capacitive stylus might be worth trying for iOS board games, too. Downside would be that as a reach extender, the farther you get from your hand, the harder it is to judge the angle and where the stylus tip will actually be detected by the device.

If you are able to turn in place (office-chair style) and know someone who is into wood-working, it also might be worth constructing a semi-circular table (or semi-circular extension for an existing table). If your play surface curved around you, you might be able to mitigate your reach particularly with card games that require multiple stacks of cards (Pathfinder Adventure Card Game suggested above comes to mind; I doubt you'd be able to play it with only 4-6" clearance from your body since it involves several stacks of cards, but if you could array the various stacks of cards around you in a semi-circle the most you have to do with most of them is just flip cards over and occasionally shuffle).

Keep fighting the good fight! I hope you're able to find more gamers nearby, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.