Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Newb - The Collective OP 1 Event, 90sp Build rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Soper
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
So I'm relatively new to Attack Wing, I have only Played a Few games, I did do the last Area event but it was only me and my wife that played, due to poor turn out in our area for that day.
Both me and my wife will be doing the Full Collective OP Event and any constructive comments are welcome.

Here is what I'm thinking of running for OP1. (I used Space Dock on Android to compile this list.)

USS Voyager - 30
Flagship Fed - 10

Jean-Luc Picard - 6

Preemptive Strike - 2
Engage - 3

Harry Kim - 4
Tom Paris - 4
Tuvok - 4
B'elanna Torres - 4

Quantum Torpedoes - 6
Nuclear Missiles - 2+1=3

The Doctor - 3
Ablative Generator - 10

Total SP Build = 90

So my thoughts are Lots of upgrades (8) encase of Assimilation. But at the Same time Stave off Assimilation by using Voyagers High speed and Maneuverability to keep away from the Borg. But when I am in Range use the Resistance action but still have Picard's Free action. I can use Ablative generators at the start, until they are gone or the Borg Assimilate them and then still have my shields ready. High damg Long range weapons thanks to Tuvok with +1 atk dice, Ability to Repair Shields with Kim, Extra Def die always with Tom, And the Doctor lets me spend one action to re-enable all the crews actions.

Plus I will get the Extra Ship to help keep voyager out of trouble.

So do you guys think? Is This Survivable? Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Ryan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a little low on DPS but not terrible...

http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Soper
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Are you saying its low DPS because of it only being One Ship? Or do you have other reasons. Trying to learn as much as I can.

Because I thought this build gives very high damage potential for a signal target. When firing the Quantum Torpedo's for example I will have One extra dice bringing the rolling count to 6 and if any hit I will get a Extra hit, So that has a hit Potential of 7.

And as Far as normal Attack with the Voyager with the Flag ship Upgrade I roll 5 Dice, Which I thought was rather high?

Is there something else I could do to Maximize my Damg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
A few quick notes, I'm going to assume you have any cards that aren't from OP prizes, and that you want to keep the warship Voyager type build.

1. Replace the Nuclear Missiles, with fed cost 3 Photon Torpedoes as they are the same cost for a more useful attack if for some reason you needed them, normally at range 1-2 your 360 attack with target lock and BS is better. These would be the first thing I'd drop if I need more point for something. Secondary Torpedo if you have them aren't a bad idea.

2. Voyager and Chekov is almost always the right choice. You want to be able to use your 4 dice attack out of primary arc attack whenever you need it and Chekov lets you clear the Aux token on any move. i'd drop Tovok or Kim for him

3. If your running Quantum think about Lojour over Tuvok a 2nd round of BS modded Quantum are better then 1+ dice to an attack. Secondary Torpedo if you have them aren't a bad idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therealguppy wrote:
(I used Space Dock on Android to compile this list.)

Space Dock on Android will let you copy the squad as text to the clipboard. It's the icon that looks like two sheet of paper on the inspect part of the squad screen. If you're not posting from the Android device that's probably not that useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Ryan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is there an update for space dock? my version does not have wave 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tpryan01 wrote:
is there an update for space dock? my version does not have wave 6.

The short answer is yes. I don't want to hijack this thread with the long answer so I'll post it on its own thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Soper
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
All good points

I think I will go with fed torpedoes, not sure how I missed those I only picked the other ones because I was looking for a 3point weapon to fill the spot.

And chekov seems like the better choice didn't think about how the 360 fire arc worked.

Unfortunately I don't have the excelsior pack lojour sounds like a great idea. I will have to see if I can find it before the event.

Thank you for your great insights!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Soper
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
U.S.S. Voyager (30)
Flagship: Federation (10)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Engage (3)
Preemptive Strike (2)
B'elanna Torres (4)
Kyle (2)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Tom Paris (4)
Ablative Generator (10)
Bio-Neural Circuitry (5)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)
Total (88)

Fleet total: 88

Generated by Space Dock for Android
http://spacedockapp.org

OK here is a new build. Changed weapons and crew. Changed out kyle for Kim this way I can do a green move repair a shield use engage to do another green and then use chekov to remove the aux token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyle may not provide enough rapid healing for your liking, given the decrease in your attack power. He also eats an action, which can be difficult to deal with. At the same points I'd probably go for Miles O'Brien to disrupt your opponent a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like what I'm seeing, but I can't decide at this point if I like the idea of 1 super tricked out ship with a ton of upgrades for preventing borg attacks or a lot of ships with just 1 upgrade to try and take out enemy ships faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
LoneWolfPR wrote:
I like what I'm seeing, but I can't decide at this point if I like the idea of 1 super tricked out ship with a ton of upgrades for preventing borg attacks or a lot of ships with just 1 upgrade to try and take out enemy ships faster.

I learned while playing in my OP 1 that it is more a question of balance than one-way-or-the-other. I flew in with the intention of surviving the Borg Cube Token which made me a little light on the attack side. Big mistake. Worst round I have played to date. Don't add a single upgrade that isn't designed to hurt the other guy's space boats. It will be a round or two before you have to worry about the BCT anyway.

Given the chance to play it again, I would focus more on taking out enemy ships. I would also fly in a tighter group in order to focus fire more effectively. Splitting the fleet only meant that I had to fly around the BCT to get back in the fight. Took too long. Ended up with 1 win and 2 losses.

Long story short? I overestimated the BCT and lost. Had a lot of fun though and can't wait for OP 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ex8404 wrote:
LoneWolfPR wrote:

I learned while playing in my OP 1 that it is more a question of balance than one-way-or-the-other. I flew in with the intention of surviving the Borg Cube Token which made me a little light on the attack side. Big mistake. Worst round I have played to date. Don't add a single upgrade that isn't designed to hurt the other guy's space boats. It will be a round or two before you have to worry about the BCT anyway.

Given the chance to play it again, I would focus more on taking out enemy ships. I would also fly in a tighter group in order to focus fire more effectively. Splitting the fleet only meant that I had to fly around the BCT to get back in the fight. Took too long. Ended up with 1 win and 2 losses.

Long story short? I overestimated the BCT and lost. Had a lot of fun though and can't wait for OP 2.

These are very good points. This OP event is not the place for one super tricked-out ship or synergy strategies that rely on linchpin upgrades. You have to take your opponent out before the BCT does too much damage to you. Don't make the mistake of waiting for the BCT to weaken your opponent first. It's just as likely to to hurt you even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McCullars
msg tools
Maybe I am splitting the difference here, but I was going to try and run a tricked out ship focused on stealing/sabotaging upgrades.

Tactical Cube 138 (46)
Borg Queen (6)
Crosis (5)
Borg Ablative Hull Armor (10-3)
Borg Assimilation Tubules (8)
Photon Torpedoes (6)
Full Assault (6)
Impulse Overload (2+1)

My plan was to use Crosis, the Tubules, and Overload to pull upgrades off my opponent and stick close with them to keep pulling the other cube into the mix. That being said, I'm about as new to STAW as OP so I may be missing something critical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Gray
United States
Brookfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am trying:

90-Point USS Voyager

Resource: Flagship Independent (Romulan) (10)

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Flagship (0)
Engage (3)
Pavel Checkov (3)
Harry Kim (4)
Tom Paris (4)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Transphasic Torpedoes (10)
Antimatter Mines (5)
Ablative Generator (10)
Ship SP: 80

Total Build SP: 90

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.