Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: [deck] looking for feedback in this overmind-focused build rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris D
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all! I just made a similar post about a corp deck, but here is my story again. I'm going to my first major tournament this weekend, and am looking for general feedback on my builds. I've been running this build around overmind for a while now, and this is the current state. Just looking for creative people to throw thoughts, ideas, and "what ifs" at me. Thanks so much for any help!

Oh, Don't Mind Me

Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (12)
3x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
3x The Maker's Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (17)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
3x Cyberfeeder (Core Set) ···
2x CyberSolutions Mem Chip (Fear and Loathing)
2x Deep Red (Mala Tempora) ··
2x e3 Feedback Implants (Trace Amount) ····
2x Omni-Drive (Creation and Control)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (8)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
3x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)

Program (9)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ··
3x Crescentus (A Study in Static) ···
1x Deus X (A Study in Static)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set) ·
3x Overmind (Honor and Profit)

Cards in deck: 46 (min 45)
15/15 influence used
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built with Net Deck
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of your decks are similar to the style of decks I'm playing
Also, I like the name of this one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have exhaustive overmind experience, but when I tried to use it I had the same experience that Justin did - its just too expensive to use.

Basically it was good at preventing the corp from rushing agendas (ha - who plays agendas in remotes anyway - come on!) - but it wasn't good for sustained R&D locking.

So the question you have to ask yourself is: I can get into any server really easily really early, what do I have that punishes them for letting me in? Right now I hate to say it, but the biggest motivator IMHO would be Account Siphon.

Looking at your list, I'd really want another clone chip and another and another R&D interface.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Trundle
msg tools
mb
I think you might be a little *too* focused on MU here. Have you been running out of counters much in your playtests? I'd probably drop the CyberSolutions, which would free up space for another Clone Chip and maybe a Levy. I'd also swap out the Cyberfeeders for some way to pressure HQ -- probably Legwork, since it doesn't look like you want to spend the MU on Nerve Agent. The Overmind setup means you're unlikely to be running every turn, which really cuts the efficiency of the Cyberfeeder recurring credits.

How have you found Maker's Eye + R&D Interface in your playtests? Seems like a bit of overkill. I get that you're making some big 'Hail Mary' runs with Overmind, but the more consistent pressure of an additional interface might be better here.

I would also definitely toss in a 1x ZU.13 -- if you're going to a tournament, you're going to be playing lots of "The Win is Yours" (AstroBiotics), and those folks love their Quandaries. Shame to waste an Overmind counter on something so tiny.
--

This is a bigger change, so I don't know that I'd do this if the tournament is coming that soon, but I might suggest including a couple of Parasites here. They'll help with some smaller ice like the aforementioned Quandary, but will also tear through a lot of the multi-sub ice (Tsurugi, Hive, Komainu) that are taxing for Overmind even with an E3 installed.
--

Finally, *definitely* don't do this before the tournament because even I think this is a questionable move, but... I wonder with this much hardware if it's not worth squeezing in a couple of Replicators. For deck thinning alone, they might actually pull their weight here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can spare the influence, Knight feels like it pairs well with a lot of the cards you already have (Deep Red, E3), and it might take a load off of Overmind for larger ICE. Also, I wonder if Personal Touch makes sense because it is in faction.

Datasuckers also seem to make sense to help with the early pressure and offset the cost of pumping OM.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
what advantage do AI breakers have over standard breakers? you need to maximise that advantage. if the advantage is not worth the cost, then why are you running overmind.

atman is good because it breaks ice cheaply if they only have 1 or 2 subroutines. also, once you know the str of the ice, you can always break it with atman(barring things like wraparound/swordsman), no need to find the specific standard breaker.

overmind is good because it allows you to break multiple unknown stacked ice with a single breaker. thus, as captain frisk pointed out, it's amazing against corps who IAA. the cost, is that it's expensive to use, more expensive than most standard breakers suites, and you need to run supporting cards like deep red/scavenge to keep using it.

with that said, how is your deck utilising the advantage of overmind over standard breakers? is it making overmind worthwhile? imo, the answer is no, but i don't think a good shaper overmind deck is out of the question.

if the only real reason you're running overmind over standard breakers is that it's different, then that's great, but that reason alone doesn't make a strong deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the advice! The general reason I wanted to focus on overmind was early game pressure. I have gotten very serious edges in games with turn 1 or 2 Maker's Eye or RDIs. No need to build a full suite, just play and go.

I like the replicator idea, although I don't know if it's worth it over some of the other options. I will try running without the memchips. In my play testing the we're helpful more for late game click efficiency. An overmind with 8 or 9 counters means I don't need to waste time drawing and playing more scavenger and test runs. However maybe I don't need quite so much. There's also the issue of not getting an E3 early enough. When that happens I really rely on knight.

Parasite and Knight were both in the original version of this deck. They were dropped in favor if Femme and Corroder. However, squeezing one knight in now might be very helpful.

I like the idea of personal touch, but the unfortunate problem is that it would be of limited use as it gets trashed when I recur overmind. Those better with card math, is it still economically helpful?

That's again for the advice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
siowy wrote:
what advantage do AI breakers have over standard breakers? you need to maximise that advantage. if the advantage is not worth the cost, then why are you running overmind.

atman is good because it breaks ice cheaply if they only have 1 or 2 subroutines. also, once you know the str of the ice, you can always break it with atman(barring things like wraparound/swordsman), no need to find the specific standard breaker.

overmind is good because it allows you to break multiple unknown stacked ice with a single breaker. thus, as captain frisk pointed out, it's amazing against corps who IAA. the cost, is that it's expensive to use, more expensive than most standard breakers suites, and you need to run supporting cards like deep red/scavenge to keep using it.

with that said, how is your deck utilising the advantage of overmind over standard breakers? is it making overmind worthwhile? imo, the answer is no, but i don't think a good shaper overmind deck is out of the question.

if the only real reason you're running overmind over standard breakers is that it's different, then that's great, but that reason alone doesn't make a strong deck.



This is very valid. I agree completely. But what are some ways I could better take advantage if the overmind concept? What other concepts partner with what you are saying able multiple layers of unknown ICE? It's a great thought but I don't know how to incorporate that more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daine .

Illinois
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Don't laugh:
Inside man. One of my friends is running a Kate Overmind deck and she has been having a ton of success with inside man to help pay for all her hardware.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Schulte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Are the Test Runs necessary? Are the MU less tutors essentially? If you cut Femme, I think you could cut Test Run myself. Once you get one Overmind you can just use Scavenge or another Overmind to reset the one you have. Clone chips seem like cheaper recursion, maybe paired with a Pawnshop to make the exhausted ones almost pay for the one you have to Clone Chip? Also Pawnshop would make it possible that 1 clone chip and 1 Overmind can allow you to reinstall without the need of another program.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I built an Overmind deck yonks ago, one thing I always wondered was whether E3 was necessary. I rarely found myself running out of counters, in fact I had cards like Test Run and Scavenge building up in my hand.

I think I used the influence I saved to pick up a few Caissa, Knight and Bishop in particular, to take advantage of the ability on Deep Red. With Overmind, you only pay to get up to Strength on the ICE you're breaking, so Bishop was a good call IIRC.

I take it the Corroder is in to deal with Wraparound? Knight should help there, and I think it probably works well with Crescentus too.

The main advantage of Overmind is that you can get in ANYWHERE without the click requirement Crypsis has. I agree with the earlier poster who mentioned you want punishing run cards, stuff like Maker's Eye, Account Siphon and Legwork are all good (if you can squeeze them in!).

EDIT: Also, if you're constantly trashing and scavenging Overmind... maybe LLDS? I know you're off to a tournament soon and probably don't want to be majorly tweaking the deck, but test run into a surprise Overmind with a few extra strength can really surprise the corp (and combine with Stimhack to go from nowt to all up in the corp's expensive servers).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
unitled wrote:
I built an Overmind deck yonks ago, one thing I always wondered was whether E3 was necessary. I rarely found myself running out of counters, in fact I had cards like Test Run and Scavenge building up in my hand.

I think I used the influence I saved to pick up a few Caissa, Knight and Bishop in particular, to take advantage of the ability on Deep Red. With Overmind, you only pay to get up to Strength on the ICE you're breaking, so Bishop was a good call IIRC.

I take it the Corroder is in to deal with Wraparound? Knight should help there, and I think it probably works well with Crescentus too.

The main advantage of Overmind is that you can get in ANYWHERE without the click requirement Crypsis has. I agree with the earlier poster who mentioned you want punishing run cards, stuff like Maker's Eye, Account Siphon and Legwork are all good (if you can squeeze them in!).

EDIT: Also, if you're constantly trashing and scavenging Overmind... maybe LLDS? I know you're off to a tournament soon and probably don't want to be majorly tweaking the deck, but test run into a surprise Overmind with a few extra strength can really surprise the corp (and combine with Stimhack to go from nowt to all up in the corp's expensive servers).



I do agree About E3 for OM. I only really use it when I know Ill be a counter or two short on a run (facing 5 total subs with only 4 counters). It helps prevent needing to reset OM. Still, this is rare. The thing that it has massively saved me with is facing high strength bioroids. As this thread has confirmed, OM is a huge economic drain. This makes HB glacier decks a royal pain. However, E3 can save and insane amount of money (Janus for 3 creeds, etc). I don't throw them down every game, but when playing HB, it's almost always a life saver.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palpster
Netherlands
Nunspeet
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Shaper deck containing neither Diesel nor Quality Time?! Blasphemy! (But kudos to you for trying to make it work)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a lot of hardware...

You're going to wish you had that card draw too...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Palpster wrote:
A Shaper deck containing neither Diesel nor Quality Time?! Blasphemy! (But kudos to you for trying to make it work)


+1 to this. I frequently try to not use QT or diesel - and I always regret it later.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
msg tools
Since quite a few people ahve commented on how long the OM counters seem to last, rather than get rid of E3 why not pack less memory? You could replace deep red with somethign else, freeing up some influence. Perhaps try bug? Bit out there and relatively expensive to maintain (less so on omni drive, and probably less than making a run on each and every card), but I think there's some potential there for maximising the reward from each overmind run.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
Palpster wrote:
A Shaper deck containing neither Diesel nor Quality Time?! Blasphemy! (But kudos to you for trying to make it work)


+1 to this. I frequently try to not use QT or diesel - and I always regret it later.


would those replace the Pro Cons? Or supplement them? Once I get one out I always feel fine, but I agree before it's out I tend to be pretty bummed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziziros wrote:
Captain_Frisk wrote:
Palpster wrote:
A Shaper deck containing neither Diesel nor Quality Time?! Blasphemy! (But kudos to you for trying to make it work)


+1 to this. I frequently try to not use QT or diesel - and I always regret it later.


would those replace the Pro Cons? Or supplement them? Once I get one out I always feel fine, but I agree before it's out I tend to be pretty bummed.


I am addicted to Professional Contacts. Even with it, i find myself digging in Shaper far too often. Getting paid to dig is nice, but when you need to find something specific, Pro Cons doesn't really help you get it faster, just pay for it once you find it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palpster
Netherlands
Nunspeet
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziziros wrote:

would those replace the Pro Cons? Or supplement them? Once I get one out I always feel fine, but I agree before it's out I tend to be pretty bummed.


Most of my Shaper decks run either 2x Pro Contacts and 3x Diesel or 3x Diesel and 2/3x Quality Time
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Palpster wrote:
Ziziros wrote:

would those replace the Pro Cons? Or supplement them? Once I get one out I always feel fine, but I agree before it's out I tend to be pretty bummed.


Most of my Shaper decks run either 2x Pro Contacts and 3x Diesel or 3x Diesel and 2/3x Quality Time


makes sense. so say I drop a pro con, I would need to drop two more cards to fit in 3 diesel. any recommendations?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ro
msg tools
3x Datasuckers isn't a normal thing to go into an Overmind deck or is it just in that one anarch article from team covenant? I threw together a Whizzard Overmind deck with Datasuckers and it seemed to combo well together, Overmind + datasuckers that is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm late to the party, I know, but what can I say? Full-time work and full-time school is a lot.

Anyway, try squeezing in a Legwork. I've noticed with my Overmind deck that the Corp tries to shore up R&D to make it expensive for me to get in, and then they build a big remote server for scoring. HQ, on the other hand, has relatively light defenses, so a single Legwork and a few credits is usually enough to get that last agenda or two that you need.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.