Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
60 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Zombicide» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Should you get Zombicide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alejandro Nunez
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you thinking of getting any of the Zombicide games? Well then, read on, hopefully this review will help you make up your mind as to why you should or shouldn't do it. I won't be going over the rules in this review, instead I'll go over several aspects of the game that you should consider before buying it:

The minis
This is a minis game at the end of the day, so a review of this game needs to mention them. The miniatures for the male zombies and male survivors are very well done, they have enough detail to make it look good on your table. I honestly have nothing to complain about with those, they are not the highest end of miniatures, but are better than what I originally expected. Then again, you might be wondering why I called out the male ones, and that is because I definitely have a problem with the female ones. Every single one of the female zombies has rips in their clothing so that they can show as much T&A as possible, making me feel like this game was intended only for 14 year old males, who a sexified plastic figure might actually appeal to (my apologies to any 14 year old that was offended by this comment). The human survivors are ever so slightly better, although not by much to be honest. If you never play with females, then maybe this won’t be an issue for you, but I’ll warn you that the females that I have played with, because I did give this game a fair chance, complained after taking a closer look at the minis.

The strategy
Maybe you think that this is a game were you will be faced with hard choices, and that you will be staring at the board for a while trying to figure out how best to survive, unfortunately that is not the case. The game lacks any puzzle or major strategic component to it, and makes it much more of a move forward, roll several dice to see if you kill something or if you miss yet again. At the end it is just a very repetitive "shoot first don’t ever think about it" game. And don’t get me wrong, not all games need to be a game in which you will spend several minutes figuring out the optimal move or that force you to think several turns ahead, and there is certainly a place for games that are lighthearted and fun in anyone's collection, however…

The setup and time
The strategic component of Zombicide, or lack thereof, makes it feel like this should be the kind of game that you pull out when you and your buddies just want to have fun and drink some beers. There is such a lack of strategy that you'd think, oh even this person, who normally doesn’t like games, will love it. You tell them that you have a light zombie killing game that they will enjoy, so they agree to play it, and as you set it up you can see the panic in their eyes and know that they are thinking “What the f*** did I get myself into?”. For such a simple game the game is absolutely huge, which will make the setup time incredibly long, at least while you compare it to light hearted games. But let’s imagine that after you open the huge box, the people you want to play with don’t immediately back out from that beast, before long they will notice that there isn’t much to the game, and that it is simple enough to play, so for a while they will enjoy it. However, after a long time of playing a game that keeps going, that person will keep asking you “Is it almost over?” or “Can I just die already?” This is because even though Zombicide attempts to be a light hearted game, it drags on for too long, and while for a time it can be fun, eventually you realize that you have been doing the same mindless thing for a couple of hours and aren’t even enjoying it at that point, you are just trying to see how it will all end, while hoping that it is soon.

The company
Let’s face it, when you buy a product you are supporting that company, and do you really want to support this one? A lot of people who want to publish their games and don’t have the financing for doing so, try to do it in KickStater, but after all the success that CMON had with their KS, specially the Zombicide ones, do you really think they need it? Of course not! However, it is so much easier to go with that model, they get all the benefits of doing a massive preorder without any of the accountability for timelines since “KickStarter is not a preorder system” as many of their fanboys will yell at you if you ever complain about the fact that they have yet another upgrade or that they made a printing error that they will only fix for you if you buy into their next KickStarter. Other KickStartes do whatever they can to make sure that the people that support them are happy, because they are trying to build a community of people who, if they make any other games in the future, will buy it from the company. On the other hand to quote a CMON employ when I was having an issue “If I get to it, it will be at the end of the day”, and either that day hasn’t ended, or he never got to it and just decided that ignoring my follow up emails was the appropriate course of action. Not to mention that their system of having so many exclusives makes it so that most people get it via the KickStarter, and those who don’t end up with an (even more) mediocre game, if they want to get it at all.

Summary
In short you should not get Zombicide if:
•You want a strategic game.
•You want a quick light hearted game that you can quickly pull out and enjoy with friends.
•You do not enjoy the objectification of women.
•There is someone in your group who does not enjoy the objectification of women.
•You care about the company that you buy products for and don’t like companies that treat their consumers like c***.
•You don’t like wasting your money
o Seriously, there are so many other way better games out there, that it would be a shame for you to waste money on this thing at all.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JATL
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry but you are wrong on all accounts.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trea
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds pretty wrong to me too.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hunnicutt
United States
Arden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Well that escalated quickly. shake
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you post the same review in two different game forums?

I would suggest anyone who is interested in this game to go and read all the comments both positive and negative to get a clear picture of what Zombicide is and isn't. So far, I think it is one of the best Zombie games made.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The sad thing is someone on the fence is going to stroll through here, see this "review" and decide not to buy because one person doesn't like it. It is by no means perfect, but it is a lot of fun. Almost as fun as Spartacus (my current favorite).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Outzone wrote:
Minis: Too much T&A really? How can there be too much of that?

...

Summary
You should get Zombicide if:

You love T&A
You have friends who love T&A

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
Twilight struggling to find time to play
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I don't mind negative reviews when substantiated but here is more a rant and the paragraph on CMON has not much to do with a review section.

- Regarding the minis: obviously a question of taste here. I personally think that the female minis are hardly distasteful, or offensive, but it is only my opinion.
Scantily clad women are not a selling point for this game like many others.

- Set-up : with the base game only, set-up is hardly 5-10 minutes : choose the mission (can be done before), set the tiles on table (tiles can be sorted pre-game), choose characters (go random to save time), find the matching figure (this is to me the longest task when you have all expansions), assign starting equipment (usually pre-arranged unless a chosen character has specific starting equipment), shuffle decks (can be shuffled preemtively at end of previous session).
If you take more than 5 10 minutes to set-up it is only because you aren't prepared and don't know how to do it. It is hardly the game's fault.

- Strategy: Zombicide is not Mage Knight Board Game, puzzly adventure euro game, for sure. But it is not marketed otherwise. A little research would tell you that it is a pure ameritrash dice chucking game. If you had higher expectation then you got the game without doing your due diligence. With regards to strategy, there is some bite-sized choices and the game really comes down to coop group decisions and how to use your characters skills efficiently. What would be a more relevant criticism is that some missions are broken not well play tested, although there is plethora of missions now available, and I would say that official fans missions are quite better that out of the rules missions.

- The Company: again, not really relevant to a review. CMON is a very small company with very small number of employees. You can't deny them access to Kickstarter for funding games production. Kickstarter is the right financial choice, that you would use if you were a small boardgame publisher.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim kelly
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T&A? Seriously? Stop already. This game is a hoot to play with a bunch of people.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
alejandro58 wrote:
Are you thinking of getting any of the Zombicide games? Well then, read on, hopefully this review will help you make up your mind as to why you should or shouldn't do it. I won't be going over the rules in this review, instead I'll go over several aspects of the game that you should consider before buying it:

The minis
This is a minis game at the end of the day, so a review of this game needs to mention them. The miniatures for the male zombies and male survivors are very well done, they have enough detail to make it look good on your table. I honestly have nothing to complain about with those, they are not the highest end of miniatures, but are better than what I originally expected. Then again, you might be wondering why I called out the male ones, and that is because I definitely have a problem with the female ones. Every single one of the female zombies has rips in their clothing so that they can show as much T&A as possible, making me feel like this game was intended only for 14 year old males, who a sexified plastic figure might actually appeal to (my apologies to any 14 year old that was offended by this comment). The human survivors are ever so slightly better, although not by much to be honest. If you never play with females, then maybe this won’t be an issue for you, but I’ll warn you that the females that I have played with, because I did give this game a fair chance, complained after taking a closer look at the minis.

The strategy
Maybe you think that this is a game were you will be faced with hard choices, and that you will be staring at the board for a while trying to figure out how best to survive, unfortunately that is not the case. The game lacks any puzzle or major strategic component to it, and makes it much more of a move forward, roll several dice to see if you kill something or if you miss yet again. At the end it is just a very repetitive "shoot first don’t ever think about it" game. And don’t get me wrong, not all games need to be a game in which you will spend several minutes figuring out the optimal move or that force you to think several turns ahead, and there is certainly a place for games that are lighthearted and fun in anyone's collection, however…

The setup and time
The strategic component of Zombicide, or lack thereof, makes it feel like this should be the kind of game that you pull out when you and your buddies just want to have fun and drink some beers. There is such a lack of strategy that you'd think, oh even this person, who normally doesn’t like games, will love it. You tell them that you have a light zombie killing game that they will enjoy, so they agree to play it, and as you set it up you can see the panic in their eyes and know that they are thinking “What the f*** did I get myself into?”. For such a simple game the game is absolutely huge, which will make the setup time incredibly long, at least while you compare it to light hearted games. But let’s imagine that after you open the huge box, the people you want to play with don’t immediately back out from that beast, before long they will notice that there isn’t much to the game, and that it is simple enough to play, so for a while they will enjoy it. However, after a long time of playing a game that keeps going, that person will keep asking you “Is it almost over?” or “Can I just die already?” This is because even though Zombicide attempts to be a light hearted game, it drags on for too long, and while for a time it can be fun, eventually you realize that you have been doing the same mindless thing for a couple of hours and aren’t even enjoying it at that point, you are just trying to see how it will all end, while hoping that it is soon.

The company
Let’s face it, when you buy a product you are supporting that company, and do you really want to support this one? A lot of people who want to publish their games and don’t have the financing for doing so, try to do it in KickStater, but after all the success that CMON had with their KS, specially the Zombicide ones, do you really think they need it? Of course not! However, it is so much easier to go with that model, they get all the benefits of doing a massive preorder without any of the accountability for timelines since “KickStarter is not a preorder system” as many of their fanboys will yell at you if you ever complain about the fact that they have yet another upgrade or that they made a printing error that they will only fix for you if you buy into their next KickStarter. Other KickStartes do whatever they can to make sure that the people that support them are happy, because they are trying to build a community of people who, if they make any other games in the future, will buy it from the company. On the other hand to quote a CMON employ when I was having an issue “If I get to it, it will be at the end of the day”, and either that day hasn’t ended, or he never got to it and just decided that ignoring my follow up emails was the appropriate course of action. Not to mention that their system of having so many exclusives makes it so that most people get it via the KickStarter, and those who don’t end up with an (even more) mediocre game, if they want to get it at all.

Summary
In short you should not get Zombicide if:
•You want a strategic game.
•You want a quick light hearted game that you can quickly pull out and enjoy with friends.
•You do not enjoy the objectification of women.
•There is someone in your group who does not enjoy the objectification of women.
•You care about the company that you buy products for and don’t like companies that treat their consumers like c***.
•You don’t like wasting your money
o Seriously, there are so many other way better games out there, that it would be a shame for you to waste money on this thing at all.


Is this a review or a hate letter?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I have played this game with my wife, my friend, and his wife. Neither woman had any issues with how the zombies or survivors were dressed. We just set up the game in about ten minutes and played the scenario and took it down in no time.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I understand your frustration with the female zombies, I can't see much of a problem with the Survivors. The outfits they wear wouldn't be at all out of place in their respective jobs/social circles, and rather then stick them in poses meant to highlight their tiny plastic assets, the girls are depicted in action poses that wouldn't look out of place when struck by a man.

Your free to feel what you will about the game, but to say the female survivors are "objectified" is simply disingenuous.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done for voicing a minority opinion. thumbsup

Strongly agree on the representation of women and it has got far worse as the game has grown. This is my most disliked part of the game and if I had been more aware of it I probably would have just stopped with the base set.

Personally I'd call this a light strategic game that can be taken out with gamers and non-gamers alike. It does have a bit of set-up but it's not that lengthy to my mind.

Being a simpleton, having pinned my colours to LNoE I actively set out to dismiss Zombicide. Got to say though, I was proved wrong and now both have a place in my collection. Zombicide doing something on a scale that I have rarely seen in other boardgames.

It's extremely rare that I support a KS and I didn't/won't in this case. Sorry to hear that there are issues with it but it seems to me that this goes hand-in-hand with other crowd funds.

PS: The problem with using *s to obscure minor swears is, that being Scottish, my brain instantly inserts a more offensive word. surpriselaughwhistle
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:


PS: The problem with using *s to obscure minor swears is, that being Scottish, my brain instantly inserts a more offensive word. surpriselaughwhistle


whistle

Which being from south of the border I obviously didn't do too. Oh no.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This appears to be a part of the review. I quite like reviews which give you for and against in intelligent comments - but it starts "To help you make up your mind whether you should or shouldn't", but really seems to mean "I don't want anybody to get this game and this is why." Let's have a bit more honesty in reviews, please!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with pretty much everything in your review, but I want to touch on this one point further.

alejandro58 wrote:
In short you should not get Zombicide if:
•You want a strategic game.


How is there no strategy in Zombicide? At the beginning of each scenario you really do need to come up with some sort of a game plan... or dare I say a strategy on how you will be attempting to win said scenario. Will you split up your survivors? Where will you search for equipment? In what order will you go for possible objectives? These are all strategic questions you need to answer.

As for the a very repetitive "shoot first don’t ever think about it" game.... well, it is called Zombicide. What did you expect? A game about not killing zombies?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So much salt in this "review" laugh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of zombies, but I have Zombicide base set and Toxic Mall.

I have sold most of Season 2 since it adds a lot of clutter and increases the setup time into the 'miserable' territory. I wouldn't recommend getting Season 3 unless you're a massive Zombicide fan and have played through all the scenarios, you're a minis painter, or you don't have the base game.

The game is light and silly, but is great fun with non-gamers and casual gamers. I've even played it with my mum! It has a brilliant 'B-movie' feel, which is immediately accessible to people of all ages. The options for players each turn are pretty straightforward (search/fight/run), which avoids the 'alpha player' problem of most coops.

It's an excellent gateway game and way to spend a few sociable hours with friends and family.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
포크
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, many of the positive "reviews" are equally one-sided. I prefer balanced reviews, too, but lets's face it: they are rare. And I'd rather have a counter point to those many, many way too positive reviews than not. Every point the OP comes up with has some validity to it, even if you don't agree with him (which I don't). I find Zombicide to be a mediocre game that can be great fun if you find the right people to play with. But it can also be an absolute waste of time and spoil the evening if even one person in your group doesn't like it.

So, thanks for the review.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, Ahwala, people write reviews because they like or dislike a game. I have often read or watched reviews for games I think I might be interested in, and negative (but intelligently written) reviews have sometime encouraged me to buy, or positive reviews have encouraged me not to, because they tell me about the game style and I can decide for myself whether it is 'my kind of game'.

However, this review started by suggesting it was going to give reasons for and against - that's slightly different. it would have been better it he had said from the beginning what he intended to do.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
포크
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. He should've been more honest about his intentions. But that doesn't make him wrong on all accounts.

There are very few negative reviews already, and if every single one of them is dismissed right away, which even happens to perfectly balanced reviews all the time, people can just stop posting reviews all together, because every single one of them will be an advertisement written by a fanboy/-girl.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ahwala wrote:
But it can also be an absolute waste of time and spoil the evening if even one person in your group doesn't like it.


How is that different from any other game?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
포크
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Zombicide more group dependent than most other games. It's more polarizing than other games. Most people who don't like Ticket to Ride (to pick a random example that first came to mind) don't feel the need to spoil it for the other players and simply sit through it. Also, because much of the fun that is to be had with Zombicide comes from the unfolding story and the social interactions between players, that one player who doesn't enjoy himself has a bigger impact than he would in other games. On top of that it is a heavier time investment than most other games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
Outzone wrote:
Minis: Too much T&A really? How can there be too much of that?

...

Summary
You should get Zombicide if:

You love T&A
You have friends who love T&A



I wonder if this guy has posted this rant in the kingdom death forum too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hughey
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alejandro58 wrote:
Every single one of the female zombies has rips in their clothing so that they can show as much T&A as possible


THIS! Even if this were a good game, I wouldn't play it do to this kind of stuff. For instance look at this model, it is an embarrassment:

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.