Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Single ship arena build help. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
While some are on collective OP 2 we haven't done the arena yet. It will be the first OP we have done that allow the Borg and I am eager to try them out. We didn't allow then in the tholian web because of the way they maneuver.

I fancy the idea of a single ship, tooled right I think they could do alright. The idea is using transwarp for a 5 then in'cha 4 I can get over the planet turn 1 with a scan token (flagship) and a target lock (Picard) with Spock I should be able to destroy a smaller ship (or cripple it to finish it off next turn). Full assault with Spock target lock and scan 8 hits hopefully and 2 vs another ship. Uhura is there because as a single ship your movement is vital, if my opponent pulls off a sneaky trick then she allows me to react. Yes Picard will probably die in the captains battle but I will still have a huge cube to play with.

I have 120 pts to play with and it's take what you want, no pure faction rubbish.

Tactical Cube 138 (46)
Flagship: Independent (Federation) (10)
Jean-Luc Picard (7)
In'cha (6)
Borg Ablative Hull Armor (7)
Mr. Spock (6)
Nyota Uhura (4)
Feedback Pulse (8)
Transwarp Drive (4)
Full Assault (6)
Total (111)

Fleet total: 111

Generated by Space Dock for iOS
http://spacedockapp.org

That all said I think a 3 ship Klingon build with fighters could also do well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things:

1) You won't get a free Scan action from the Independent-Fed flagship. It'll add the Evade action to your action bar, but it won't be free.

2) Without Picard, your ship action will probably want to Scan every turn to activate Spock. Wouldn't be terrible, but just be aware that'll be your only action with this setup.

3) You can't move 5 on a Transwarp. If you use Transwarp, you're going 6 Straight.

I'd suggest giving up Uhura and going to the Indy-Klingon flag.

On a general note, it seems like you're throwing a lot of points into killing a ship or two before the Captain's Battle (ostensibly to even the odds) but still planning on losing it. You'll only have 1 turn with Picard (easy to forget) and it doesn't look like you have any room for an action to support him on the planet on turns 2 and 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should double check with your TO that they'll let you run 120pts.

120 is the recommend limit for the Collective. The Arena recommends 100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Illyth wrote:
A few things:

1) You won't get a free Scan action from the Independent-Fed flagship. It'll add the Evade action to your action bar, but it won't be free.

2) Without Picard, your ship action will probably want to Scan every turn to activate Spock. Wouldn't be terrible, but just be aware that'll be your only action with this setup.

3) You can't move 5 on a Transwarp. If you use Transwarp, you're going 6 Straight.

I'd suggest giving up Uhura and going to the Indy-Klingon flag.

On a general note, it seems like you're throwing a lot of points into killing a ship or two before the Captain's Battle (ostensibly to even the odds) but still planning on losing it. You'll only have 1 turn with Picard (easy to forget) and it doesn't look like you have any room for an action to support him on the planet on turns 2 and 3.

Thanks for the advice, transwarp was a typo, 6 will easily clear the planet. Looked at the flagship wrong and will have to swap it. I understand that Picard will loose but killing a ship or two in the first few turns is pretty strong.

adorablerocket wrote:
You should double check with your TO that they'll let you run 120pts.

120 is the recommend limit for the Collective. The Arena recommends 100.

Yep 120 and another one later in the month at 150.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jackowski
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
We had our Arena event yesterday. One of my opponents did a Tactical Cube with a Captain and an Admiral. They were able to get two captains on the planet that way. Just an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
I ran something similar for the Arena (back in June), I went 2-1 and loss the last game to the winner (I finished tied for 2nd and placed 3rd I think after fleet point tie breakers).

My thoughts, 1st your not going to win the planet battle, because of this you will not win tie breakers with fleet points as you at best will be scoring 100 points. You must win all games, and even then may not take first.

My option Picard is less useful as he will be gone after first turn and you aren't not going to beat a multiple captain build with just 1 captain. I like Worf as he gives you the the reroll blanks on your first turn, teamed with Spock you should be getting a great alpha strike in.

However the one counter point to this is that Worf will place before a lot of the other captains you will see at this event so a smart opponent can try and hide on the other side of the board in the corner. None of my opponents tried this and to counter had they I was placing the Cube just off to the right of the planet and planned to use the Auxiliary Control Room to be able to take a 4 sideways if they did this. This would have been the best tactic for a swarm or non 2 ship fleet to take as I really needed to kill a ship in the first turn.

Full Assault works very well vs smaller ships and I found Auxiliary Control Room to be very useful for the cube.

Uhura isn't going to help you after you lose Picard in the first round as you will most likely be moving first as you will have a captain skill of 1.

The problem with this list is that you are hurting vs 2 any of the borg ships lists as they will beat you on the planet and can do enough damage to take you down before you can kill them both. I was able to beat one fleet like this do to good placement/flying and some lucky crits, but lost my last round to a tac cube (Picard), sphere(queen) build. As I couldn't kill a ship before the planet battle happened.

I did however wipe the floor with a 5 ship swarm build who didn't realize how far a large base, Transwarp Drive, In'Cha ship could move.

As others have said In'Cha doesn't work with Tranwarp, but you still move 6 + 5 + one large base

If the point total is really 120 I think this type of build will have more problems as you going to have a harder time chasing down all the other ships, plus it will be easier for a opponent to take 4 heavy hitters with captains which will end you once you get reset after the planet battle.

My list
Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)

Tactical Cube 138 (46)
Worf (4)
Flagship (0)
In'Cha (6)
Mr. Spock (6)
Full Assault (6)
Transwarp Drive (4)
Auxiliary Control Room (4)
Ship SP: 90

Total Build SP: 100

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
csimian wrote:
We had our Arena event yesterday. One of my opponents did a Tactical Cube with a Captain and an Admiral. They were able to get two captains on the planet that way. Just an idea.

An interesting idea, but that Tripple cost faction penalty is a bit steep for Admirals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Flagship Resources are great but I must admit I'd be tempted to go with the Reinforcements sideboard if I was using a single ship build.

Put a decent Captain on there and load them onto the Cube if your original captain dies in the Captain's battle.

If you can get hold of the new Enterprise before the event I'd go with:

Dukat and Admiral Kirk to give 2 Captains on the Planet.

Skill 9 for the first turn then skill 8 for the second.

Then if you lose the Captain's Battle you still have Picard on the Sideboard to give you that skill 9 back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greaves
msg tools
Where do you play Rob?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where are you playing, Rob?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greaves
msg tools
I'd take a punt and say he plays in Preston. Only because I'm one of the TO's up there and we have a player called Rob! Plus he always has interesting lists

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyguard wrote:
I ran something similar for the Arena (back in June), I went 2-1 and loss the last game to the winner (I finished tied for 2nd and placed 3rd I think after fleet point tie breakers).

My thoughts, 1st your not going to win the planet battle, because of this you will not win tie breakers with fleet points as you at best will be scoring 100 points. You must win all games, and even then may not take first.

My option Picard is less useful as he will be gone after first turn and you aren't not going to beat a multiple captain build with just 1 captain. I like Worf as he gives you the the reroll blanks on your first turn, teamed with Spock you should be getting a great alpha strike in.

However the one counter point to this is that Worf will place before a lot of the other captains you will see at this event so a smart opponent can try and hide on the other side of the board in the corner. None of my opponents tried this and to counter had they I was placing the Cube just off to the right of the planet and planned to use the Auxiliary Control Room to be able to take a 4 sideways if they did this. This would have been the best tactic for a swarm or non 2 ship fleet to take as I really needed to kill a ship in the first turn.

Full Assault works very well vs smaller ships and I found Auxiliary Control Room to be very useful for the cube.

Uhura isn't going to help you after you lose Picard in the first round as you will most likely be moving first as you will have a captain skill of 1.

The problem with this list is that you are hurting vs 2 any of the borg ships lists as they will beat you on the planet and can do enough damage to take you down before you can kill them both. I was able to beat one fleet like this do to good placement/flying and some lucky crits, but lost my last round to a tac cube (Picard), sphere(queen) build. As I couldn't kill a ship before the planet battle happened.

I did however wipe the floor with a 5 ship swarm build who didn't realize how far a large base, Transwarp Drive, In'Cha ship could move.

As others have said In'Cha doesn't work with Tranwarp, but you still move 6 + 5 + one large base

If the point total is really 120 I think this type of build will have more problems as you going to have a harder time chasing down all the other ships, plus it will be easier for a opponent to take 4 heavy hitters with captains which will end you once you get reset after the planet battle.

My list
Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)

Tactical Cube 138 (46)
Worf (4)
Flagship (0)
In'Cha (6)
Mr. Spock (6)
Full Assault (6)
Transwarp Drive (4)
Auxiliary Control Room (4)
Ship SP: 90

Total Build SP: 100

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

I know you cannot go 4 with In'cha and then transform that to 6 with transwarp. But you could go 4 with a regular move, use Transwarp to make it 6, and then use In'Cha to do another move couldn't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I know you cannot go 4 with In'cha and then transform that to 6 with transwarp. But you could go 4 with a regular move, use Transwarp to make it 6, and then use In'Cha to do another move couldn't you?

Correct.

With In'cha and Transwarp you can move a total of 14. (6+2+4+2)

With In'cha but without Transwarp you can still move 12! (4+2+4+2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
aaron2310 wrote:
Where are you playing, Rob?

mustanguk wrote:
I'd take a punt and say he plays in Preston. Only because I'm one of the TO's up there and we have a player called Rob! Plus he always has interesting lists

Cassiel33 wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Correct.

With In'cha and Transwarp you can move a total of 14. (6+2+4+2)

With In'cha but without Transwarp you can still move 12! (4+2+4+2)

Yep I am the rob from preston lol, and when you say "interesting" others would say broken (but only won one OP).

14 move is going to get that cube across the board quick! However I think that 12 might be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thinking weyoun 7 maybe an interesting choice to get extra crew... Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You'll be losing your Captain in this build so I say go for it. He'll get you the slots to make it through the rest of your game - hopefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Steiner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
If you want to make a show of it at the captains battle. Put Adm Kirk on the ship. Then when Picard gets taken, you can make Adm Kirk turn into Captain Kirk. Then Captain Kirk joins Picard on the planet giving you a 9 and 8 to fight and more than likely both will have ammunition tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
So managed to have a couple of practice games tonight and it went ok(ish). This is the build I went with.

Tactical Cube 138 (46)
Flagship: Independent (Klingon) (10)
Weyoun (6)
In'cha (6)
Sacrifice (6)
Mr. Spock (6)
Nyota Uhura (4)
Worf (4)
Feedback Pulse (8)
Transwarp Drive (4)
Full Assault (6)
Total (120)

Fleet total: 120

Game one was against a decent player who has been to a number of OP and owns most of the ships in duplicates. His fleet was built around the excelsior as a torpedo boat. First turn I was right infront of him (transwarp and in'cha) and used full assault but only took the shields of the reliant (forgot about sacrifice). Managed to destroy the reliant and take the shields of voyager in the next two turn, but loosing all my shields. The planet battle was over quick with weyoun getting smushed. The cube was then placed diagonally in the corner next to the planet. Close melee ensued with the excelsior bumping the cube a few times and eventually the cube destroying the fed fleet.

It was close (I only had a few hull points left) but a win is a win. Things I learnt- Spock with a target lock is awesome 7-8 hits regularly is hard to stop. Noticed that the additional rules card for the cube is different than the sphere. Don't forget sacrifice on the first turn or it's wasted.

U.S.S. Excelsior (26)
Flagship: Federation (10)
Christopher Pike (4)
Dmitri Valtane (2)
Lojur (1)
Tuvok (4)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)
Total (53)

U.S.S. Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Total (44)

U.S.S. Reliant (20)
Clark Terell (1)
Total (21)

Fleet total: 118
Can't remember the last few points.

Second games was against someone who has just started attack wing but is a veteran from x-wing. He had an idea what he wanted but I helped him build his list. It's not great but it's ok. He started by splitting his force with the cube facing the reliant and the enterprises of to the left. I jumped forward again and shot janeway leaving her with only 2 hull. I managed to kill janeway before she beamed down to the planet which was good. However a few mines and battle stations later, along with miles disabling an armour he managed to get a crit through... Miss your next attack aaaarrrrggggghhhhhh! Again weyoun died quickly, and I was put in the same position, but with mines blocking one exit. This time however with feedback pulse having done nothing and a disabled armour I was in trouble. Battlestations all round and another miss your next attack!!!! Equals a dead cube cry

Things I leant - certain cards are going to wreck this build, miles, psf, edt etc. Make a massive sign so I don't forget sacrifice and stick it on my head. With weyoun popping so quickly we can carry on with the ship battle (I've seen some people say it takes ages, not for me ) full assault is a bit rubbish on the ship. Any ideas for a different weapon shot?

U.S.S. Enterprise-D (28)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Data (3)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Total (44)

U.S.S. Enterprise (22)
Kathryn Janeway (5)
Dmitri Valtane (3)
Mr. Spock (5)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Total (40)

U.S.S. Reliant (20)
Rudolph Ransom (2)
Worf (3)
Antimatter Mines (5)
Total (30)

Elite Attack Die (5)

Fleet total: 119

Overall it was a fun ship to fly but there was some of my usual OP opponents watching on and know they would just put psf on now just to counter my ship. I will see how I feel on the day if I run it or a Klingon fleet it was fun to try out something different tho. Thanks to both my opponents for fun games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe those mines - if deployed before the Captain's battle gets picked up and doesn't come back out after the battle is complete.

Beyond that, I played against someone that had a cube and a Romulan Science Vessel that he used to slingshot the cube ahead and then in'cha to get *behind* the person's fleet on turn one. His build would have suffered against high level Federation captains that would go after his cube moved if they could target lock and drop torpedoes on you. If the person doesn't see it coming, it is fun to see the look on their face when you land behind them - especially if it's a Romulan build or Klingon build with mostly all forward firing arcs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stpitner wrote:
I believe those mines - if deployed before the Captain's battle gets picked up and doesn't come back out after the battle is complete.

Beyond that, I played against someone that had a cube and a Romulan Science Vessel that he used to slingshot the cube ahead and then in'cha to get *behind* the person's fleet on turn one. His build would have suffered against high level Federation captains that would go after his cube moved if they could target lock and drop torpedoes on you. If the person doesn't see it coming, it is fun to see the look on their face when you land behind them - especially if it's a Romulan build or Klingon build with mostly all forward firing arcs

Will Sanchez's slingshot build is a work of art. If the Klingon (or other forward arc opponent) goes 1, you can only land right in front of them which really limits their options. If they move further forward you could land behind them. It uses the dominion independent flagship (I think) plus a fast ship such as the D, and Romulan Pilot. Very clever. Not quite faction pure though which is a problem in our venue. I want to try it in a casual game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
So the OP was today and I had a great time. This is the build I went with in the end.

Tactical Cube 138 [Cube] (46)
Flagship: Independent (Klingon) [DomWarPP4] (10)
Adm Gul Dukat [Cruiser] (8)
Weyoun [Battleship] (6)
In'cha [Negh''var] (6)
Sacrifice [Voyager] (6)
Borg Ablative Hull Armor [Cube] (7)
Borg Ablative Hull Armor [Cube] (7)
Ixtana'Rax [Battleship] (2)
Mr. Spock [Enterprise] (6)
Pavel Chekov [Refit] (4)
Feedback Pulse [Sphere] (8)
Transwarp Drive [Excelsior] (4)
Total (120)

Fleet total: 120

It worked really well throwing 7 dice (sometimes 8 or 9) with Spock is awesome. I was able to one shot a flagshiped keldon. I won 2 games and lost 1, coming second overall.

Feedback pulse dice a massive one damage in 3 games! But at least it stopped the attacks.

Chekov is great! The re roll blanks for a disable is much better than worf who has to re roll all dice.

The winning fleet which I didn't play had 3 keldons and a science vessel I think. I would have wond my second game but for a luck crit getting the additional damage!

Overall it was a fun day, I still prefer the tholian web OP however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.