Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would fans of the series care to rank the SOS series from easiest to most difficult? Favorite to least? Or just enthuse about certain ones? I'm currently in love with Cruel Necessity and I'd like to hear more first-hand reports so I know how to plan my attack through these games.

http://www.victorypointgames.com/games/states-of-siege-tm.ht...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The VPG website provides "difficulty" ratings for each game.

Click on the game then the "game data" tab. Lower difficulty numbers are easier games than higher numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dune Tiger
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the only one I've played is Dawn of the Zeds, which doesn't even really count. But as a solitaire experience it reminded me of a very elaborate tower defense style game which was pretty engaging and the emergent narrative was actually quite good. If anything, the game was really good at keeping the tension up as you attempt to multitask an onslaught of crises. I can only assume that extends to the rest of the series as a core component of the mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe if you get enough of these overlapping lists, you can starting creating a more comprehensive view.

Easiest to hardest:

1. Levée en Masse
2. We Must Tell the Emperor (OOP, alas)
3. Malta Besieged: 1940-1942 (OOP, alas)

That is also my list of least to most favorite, though they are all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Mongoven
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only one I've played was Keep Up the Fire!: The Boxer Rebellion 1900 which captured the intensity and violence of the battle quite nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
From easiest to most difficult from my experiences:

1. Israeli Independence
2. A Blood-Red Banner: The Alamo
3. Zulus on the Ramparts!
4. The Lost Cause
5. Dawn of the Zeds (First edition)
6. We Must Tell the Emperor
7. Legions of Darkness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

Odd, I purposely designed Legions to be on the easier side of the difficulty scale, figuring that the fantasy theme would attract some new players to the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Miles
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite State of Siege game is Soviet Dawn. I like the early, simpler ones. The ones I've played from simplest to more involved:

1). Ottoman Sunset
2). Soviet Dawn
3). Habsburg Eclipse
4). We Must Tell The Emperor
5). Malta Besieged
6). Mound Builders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Odd, I purposely designed Legions to be on the easier side of the difficulty scale,..."

And that's how I found it to be. I'd put it between Blood Red Banner and Zulus on the Ramparts in difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes, please do include OOP games! Interesting to see such variance in opinion so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I'm off the series in general, I'm still always happy to play Empires in America. It's the best of the lot for my money, good historical feel, not completely dice-dependent. Haven't played Cruel Necessity yet, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through a phase of playing a lot of State of Siege games and came away from it being not terribly impressed with any of them. That said, out of the designs I have played--Soviet Dawn, Ottoman Sunset, Zulus on the Ramparts, The Lost Cause, Levee en Masse, We Must Tell the Emperor--I found Ottoman Sunset and Zulus to clearly be the best of the bunch.

I do use Levee in conjunction with my European history class, and it has gone over well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Odd, I purposely designed Legions to be on the easier side of the difficulty scale, figuring that the fantasy theme would attract some new players to the series.

I think it was just the mechanics were more than I was expecting from an SoS game. I'd probably make Legions and We Must Tell interchangable on this list; they're both more involved than Dawn of the Zeds, and the rest of the list is pretty much stratified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
gatorskin wrote:
Would fans of the series care to rank the SOS series from easiest to most difficult? Favorite to least? Or just enthuse about certain ones? I'm currently in love with Cruel Necessity and I'd like to hear more first-hand reports so I know how to plan my attack through these games.

I have one: The Lost Cause. Go to 3:25

I also played similar games that weren't actual S.O.S. games, but played like them: A.D. 30 and Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition). All are good. Zeds was the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
gatorskin wrote:

I have one: The Lost Cause. Go to 3:25

I also played similar games that weren't actual S.O.S. games, but played like them: A.D. 30 and Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition). All are good. Zeds was the best.

I'd wager your review sold a few copies of the Lost Cause. It sold me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the ones I've got:

Zulus: easiest

Cruel Necessity: cruel and unnecessary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For the ones I own, easy to hard:

Zulus
Emperor
Malta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to derail this thread too much, but just how different are the SoS games? I have Dawn of the Zeds, and just got Soviet Dawn (haven't played), and am wondering if others in the series are worth investing, or if it's just kind of a re-theming? I don't mean that in a negative light, just wondering if they differ greatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Way
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easiest: Blood Red Banner
Most Fun: Nemo's War, Empire's in America
Ones that are harder than others: Cruel Necessity, Mound Builders

They all play pretty much alike - the later iterations add some chrome which increases complexity somewhat, but I haven't found any of the SoS games 'complicated'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
dirtybacon wrote:
Not to derail this thread too much, but just how different are the SoS games? I have Dawn of the Zeds, and just got Soviet Dawn (haven't played), and am wondering if others in the series are worth investing, or if it's just kind of a re-theming? I don't mean that in a negative light, just wondering if they differ greatly.
They are all pretty much "don't let the invaders waddle their happy asses down any of the various trails to your house." Different games might call the tracks different things, or layer a minor combat module on top of the proceedings, but that doesn't change the basic formula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
carlway wrote:

Most Fun: Nemo's War

I didn't realize Nemo's war was an SoS game. I really need to get around to playing that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wm Seabrook
United Kingdom
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dirtybacon wrote:
carlway wrote:

I didn't realize Nemo's war was an SoS game. I really need to get around to playing that...

There is a revised version in the works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Cruel Necessity and loved it -- and I wouldn't call it complicated. So if that's the most complicated, I think anyone will find the series approachable. I have Mound Builders (which some say is equally or more complicated than Cruel Necessity) and will tackle it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtybacon wrote:
carlway wrote:

Nemos War doesn't feel like SOS to me, but maybe it's a perspective thing.

Blood Red Banner has to be the simplest of them. Zeds is the most complex that I've played (which isn't many), but it's more of a rule quantity issue than actually being hard to understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joestin wrote:
dirtybacon wrote:
carlway wrote:

Nemos War doesn't feel like SOS to me, but maybe it's a perspective thing.

I haven't played it, but I don't think it is SoS. It's not listed as such on VPGs website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.