23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: new a massive epic strategy game for 4-6 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chad
msg tools
mb
So me and my game group are becoming big into strategy games. I've been looking at runewars and eclipse. But I don't know much about either enough to make a decision. What would any of you decide on. I'm not stuck on just them 2 but any strategy game would be great. The bigger and the more epic the better. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
Runewars is perfect,but can only be played with for so i°d rather point at eclipse in this case(between the two you°ve mentioned). Also there is TI3 that people would recommend(haven°t played it but i really think it is a great game). Exodus is another. I°d also recommend warrior knights,if you can find the expansion(if not, search for another game).

I°d happily recommend runewars but it only plays with up to four,and it also scales very well with two or three players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Runewars but haven't played yet, it looks really good. Can't wait

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont own nor have I never tried it, but I've heard from a lot of people that Twilight Imperium is the most epic boardgame ever. Its an epic game in space - with spacecats!

Theres also Descent 2nd editition (which I both own and have played) which is a dungeon crawler game with 1 overlord and 1-4 heroes (so it goes up to 5 players). It has a campaign setting, and while a single quest isnt epic, doing the whole campaign sure is epic.

Eldrith Horror/Arkham Horror are epic coop games where you fight Chtulu or one of his fellow Elder Gods.
Eldrith horror is the new one with updated stuff+more streamlined than Arkham, but I included Arkham Horror as it has a lot more expansions - get them all (!!) and you sure will have a very epic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you give some more specific criteria?

Length of game?
Depth of game(Complex, light, medium)?
Theme (WW2, specific theater; Space/galactic; ancient/historic; other)?

I would assume massive and epic are descriptions, then you don't mind complex and long.

My personal favorite is Flat Top. It's best played over email, with a game master, and teams playing the allies/Japanese.

For a space theme: Twilight Imperium (I prefer the older editions).

For a truly epic (again, play by email mostly, and it could take years....) there's Galactic Starfire and its various offshoots.

There are a lot of choices though. Game of Thrones is pretty popular for that player count, but I'm not a fan of that one. You might ask in the wargame specific forums if that's particularly what you're looking for too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
Runewars is a good game, and it scales nicely from 1v1 up to four players (max). Twilight Imperium 3 plays well with 4 or 5 (or more) players, but will take all day and only really shines if you have the expansions. I like Eclipse much, much more than TI3; I've only played it 2-3 times, and am not sure how well it plays with only 2 players.

Clash of Cultures might also be something to look at. A great civilization game, it's my current favorite of the in-print Civ games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Reuhl
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvl4d wrote:
Also there is TI3 that people would recommend(haven°t played it but i really think it is a great game).

Pouvla wrote:
I dont own nor have I never tried it, but I've heard from a lot of people that Twilight Imperium is the most epic boardgame ever. Its an epic game in space - with spacecats!

I will give my two cents about Twilight Imperium:

TI3 gets a bad rap for length but is really going to depend on who you are playing with. I just played with 7 people playing for the second time and we finished in about 8 hours. It is by far the largest game I own, but it scales with different amounts of players. I have fun with 3 but you (with expansions) can get up to 8.

There is a deck of 10 public objective cards, in the last 4 cards the 'end game' card (highest victory points win or first to 10). You also get secret objectives to get you closer to that 10. It is all about victory points ... Some objectives deal with building units, exploring, expanding, and WAR (hence it being a 4x game - eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and exterminate).

The game is dripping in theme, it is a space epic. Tons of units, planet cards, action cards, politics, and most of all: rules. You need a sherpa for this game, I know I did.

PM me if you want to know more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad
msg tools
mb
We like civ builders/war. Not a huge huge fan of space stuff. But eclipse peeked my intrest. We mainly do fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad
msg tools
mb
Sad part is runewars only has 4 players. We scams from 4-6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Reuhl
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evilhomer54 wrote:
We like civ builders/war. Not a huge huge fan of space stuff. But eclipse peeked my intrest. We mainly do fantasy.

I do not own it because of redundancy but I hear eclipse is TI3 light. I am personally a 'go big or go home' gamer ... Arkham horror instead of elder signs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies Europe 1940 (and the pacific version) are awesome and pretty epic if you want a more real world theme but still have piles of plastic guys.

Diplomacy

Virgin Queen (or Here I Stand)

Dominant Species is pretty epic and scales really well and is an amazing game.

Three copies of War of the Ring (First Edition)

Ogre the new epic designer's edition.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game (even though it's in space)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evilhomer54 wrote:

You want really epic? Civilization: The Expansion Project. You can purchase all of the components (or print your own from the links there).

Bits and maps available here:
https://camelotgamestore.com/zencart/index.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evilhomer54 wrote:

Twilight Imperium is akin to civilization in space. There's exploration, expansion, technology/research, war, politics, etc - everything a good civ game will typically have. And it plays up to 6 (max player count of 8).

I'll admit to being biased, but to me, Eclipse feels really dry and economic-euro-like in comparison to Twilight Imperium. But Eclipse does have some good things going for it, and there are lots of people who love it.

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game might be more up your alley, but it only plays up to 5 with an expansion.

In a completely different vein, Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game is a blast, and plays well from 4 to 6. 5 players is ideal, 4 & 6 are fine, but better with the Daybreak expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) plays perfectly with 6 and great with 5. With 4, you'd probably want the Feast for Crows expansion. Epic game, great components, great backstabbing, war, theme fits, it's one of the top rated games for a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warrior Knights
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, and do get the Daybreak expansion when you have learned the game and if you play 4-player (and 6-player) games a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your initial impulse towards Eclipse is spot on. It's undeniably epic in scale, is designed to accommodate 6 players right out of the box, and plays in a reasonable period of time. There are a lot of different aspects of play (research, ship design, ship combat, exploration, etc.) but the rules are elegant and streamlined enough that it's pretty intuitive to pick up. Also, there's very little downtime even with 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would vote for the obvious ones in Runewars for up to 4 players and TI3 for any more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am absolutely no expert here as I've only played Civilization (with Add-Ons), Eclipse and Game of Thrones (2nd).
But I do adore epic games that involve a lot of varying thinking and thus have a complex feeling about them - and I absolutely love Eclipse!
It is very nicely designed with not too much downtime imho, there are multiple options as to how to act and the different alien races make for a asymmetrical constellation that won't make it boring for a rather long time.

So, yeah, I'd absolutely recommend Eclipse.

Game of Thrones is huge, btw, it's close to perfect with its very neat implementation of non-rule diplomatic dynamics - but honestly, I feel like it can only be played really well with 6 people and that's a huge downside for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lord atreides
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your post istantly clicked me two titles

StarCraft: The Board Game

epic enough?

Rex: Final Days of an Empire

a new retheme of an old classic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Rex! This game is such a fun one. Especially with 6 players. I won't play it without 6 anymore, except as a teaching game, but when we have exactly 6, it's hard to get me to play anything else!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse is epic if you don't only define epic as combat and conquering.

I'm probably going to be alone in this but I am recommending Cyclades. Mythology and Gods are bigger than anything relative to the worlds and their believers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lazzaro

Schaumburg
Illinois
msg tools
I am unfamiliar with Runewars so I can't really comment on that.

As for Eclipse, while one of my top 25 favorite games, it really is not epic. It's more of a management semi-euro style game.

As far as epic definitely a +1 to Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). If that is too much, the closes thing to a TI3 lite is Exodus: Proxima Centauri.

Also thinking that you might be interested in Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. Take a look at some reviews for it if interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.