Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amanda Garceau
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi guys!

I need input for my game, and help with the concept of it. It needs to be both probability based and strategy based, i.e finding the favorable probabilities, and that is the part I am struggling with. I would appreciate any input as to what I could add to make it less dependent on being lucky. Thanks in advance. Here's the game outline.

There can be multiple players, and they move across the board using a D4 die. There are monsters that are on specific spaces on the board, that a player MUST stop on when they cross it to battle, despite what they rolled (ie, they roll a 3, monster is 2 spaces away, they must stop on that second space to fight). A player has 15 Life and 5 attack to start, and the monsters get stronger as you move across the board. There are 2 paths you can take, a longer (more monsters) easier path, or a shorter(less monsters) more difficult path. The monsters also have life and attack points, which tend to be about 3 or 4 attack points higher than the player, and a set 5 or 6 life for each. If the monsters attack is higher than the players, the player will want to defend, and will roll the D4 again to gain 1-4 attack points to add. If the players attack points are greater than the monsters, the monster will lose life points that is equal to the difference between the players attack points and the monsters attack points. For example, if the player has 5 attack points and the monster has 8 attack points and 5 life points, the player would defend and roll a D4. Let’s say they roll a 4, they have 9 attack points now, which is 1 point above the monsters attack points, and the monsters life goes down by 1. The monster cannot attack because its attack points is not high enough, and it would take 5 rounds to kill the monster. A player can only defend if its attack points are less than or equal to the monsters. Players alternate every round, meaning after every attack or defense play.

If a monster has more attack than you, you lose life points equal to the difference between your attack and the monsters attack. So if you defend, and roll a D4 and still have less attack points than the monster, your life points go down by the difference.

Between the monsters, a player has a chance to land on an Extra/Buff space, where you have a chance to either increase the players attack or life. This space gives the player a chance to roll EITHER a D4 or a +/- die to get the effect of a 50/50 chance. If you choose to roll the +/- die, and land on the – then nothing happens and all your stats stay the same. If you roll a +, then you add +3 to either your life or attack, depending on what the square was for. If you choose to roll the D4, then you add whatever you roll to your stat. For example, a 1 would add 1, a 2 would add 2, etc. This counts as a turn.

At the end of the board, there is a Boss, who has the strongest stats of the game. First one to get to and beat the boss wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the choice on the Buff space, that is quite fun.

From what I am imagining of the board, could you have little cross overs or long cuts that switch between tracks or lead to a (longer) run of easy monsters and buff spaces respectively. So that if players find they are being unlucky/chose poorly they can do something about it?

If you want a way of balancing out bad luck you could have 'grim determination' tokens, a player gets one everytime they roll a 1 and can use them on later turns to re-roll dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Muller
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify a bit:
If I have an attack score of 5, if a monster has a score of 8.
I would defend roll a 2 and then the monster hits me for 1 damage.
Do I defend again and then roll another 2 does my attack score increase to 9 or at 7 again?

After the battle does my attack score stay at the increased value or return to 5.

Thinking about the game, luck seems to be a very large part of it at the moment. Movement and so on.
Some thoughts I had were: possibly have the bonuses (attack, health and maybe even movement) be items which must be purchased from a home town using money from monsters or maybe even if they farm to the side(very slow return on value). This makes the players have to decide when to retreat or to carry on pushing. It also gives the option of maybe controlling 2 or 3 characters.

But this suggestion may be a little off what your concept is.

Last question: Any reason for the d4s? They might a little unwieldly, would prefer d6s and recalibrate the game or maybe even a d6 with numbers: 1,2,2,3,3,4 or 1,1,2,2,3,4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Garceau
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After the battle, the attack score stays at the increased value, making it so those who choose the easier, longer path will have the potential to have more attack points, but won't get there as quick.

And the reason I chose D4's is because the the most spaces one could ever move is 4 without running across a monster and being forced to stop, but a D6 is probably a friendlier choice.

I do like the purchasing of bonuses though! Adds a little bit of thought for the player. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Garceau
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have 2 cross overs right now on the board so a player can opt out of a harder section, but I think I will add more of them to make it more of a choice.

I also really like the token idea to balance out bad luck. Thanks for the suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.