12 Posts

Galaxy Defenders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Xeno-Alpha and Xeno-Grey rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris S.
msg tools
Xeno-Alpha Leadership

Let's say there's a green Xeno-Alpha in one area and a blue Xeno-Alpha in an adjacent area. There are no other aliens in the same or adjacent area of the green Xeno-Alpha.

1. If I activate a green Xeno-Alpha and he moves, does his leadership ability work on the blue Xeno-Alpha?
2. If yes to 1, does the blue Xeno-Alpha, since he moved, move any other aliens that may be in adjacent areas to him due to his leadership ability, effectively putting the blue alpha and possibly 1 or 2 other aliens in the same area as the green alpha?

Xeno-Grey activation

For this purpose, let's say the Xeno-Grey is assigned to the alpha agent and a Xeno-Beta, assigned to the next player, is in the same area with him. No other aliens in adjacent areas and both are green. Close encounter card is drawn to activate all green aliens. The Xeno-Grey activates the Xeno-Beta. The beta moves 1 space and uses regenerate.

Will the next player who controls the beta still activate the beta, or does the grey's ability essentially take the turn of the beta? I ask because I've seen it confirmed that if the beta had gone first, the grey would teleport a new alien because he cannot activate an alien already activated, so I was wondering if the same applied the other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
friendlygamer wrote:
I ask because I've seen it confirmed that if the beta had gone first, the grey would teleport a new alien because he cannot activate an alien already activated, so I was wondering if the same applied the other way.

I wasn't aware of this rule. Do you have a link?

My instinct on the first two questions is 1) Yes, alphas can move other alphas, but 2) that doesn't result in the alphas that are being moved moving even more aliens. The Leadership ability only applies when that alien is activated (even by the Xeno-Grey). At least, that is how I play it.

Curious to hear the answer on the Xeno-Greys. I have been playing that an alien CAN be activated twice in one Close Encounter phase if one or more of those activations is from a Xeno-Grey, regardless of the order, but I'm open to the idea that I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S.
msg tools
kittenhoarder wrote:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15452277#15452277

I took this the first time I read it that this same logic would be applied to an alien that moved and was still in the Xeno-Grey's range for his ability. Reading it again, now I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friendlygamer wrote:
kittenhoarder wrote:

I took this the first time I read it that this same logic would be applied to an alien that moved and was still in the Xeno-Grey's range for his ability. Reading it again, now I'm not sure.

That is a completely separate issue. That thread is about how to go about determining whether or not an alien that is brought into the game, during the player's activation phase, would activate. Not whether an alien that has already been activated can activate again. There is no rule that I am aware of that would stop an alien from being activated multiple times via multiple Xeno-greys.

As far as the Alphas, I believe Leadership says to place an alien adjacent to the Alpha. I'm not 100% sure about the wording though. But if I am correct about it saying 'place' then there is no actual movement made by the alien being placed; thus nothing to trigger Leadership on the placed figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S.
msg tools
Hero_guy wrote:
friendlygamer wrote:
kittenhoarder wrote:

That is a completely separate issue. That thread is about how to go about determining whether or not an alien that is brought into the game, during the player's activation phase, would activate. Not whether an alien that has already been activated can activate again. There is no rule that I am aware of that would stop an alien from being activated multiple times via multiple Xeno-greys.

In a way, aren't they tied together? If a player activates their alien, then receives a new one, the new one isn't activated. However, if a player activates their alien, then their same alien can be activated again after that player took their activation turn? I understand they are different situations, just similar in that the first player in both of these situations already went.

Searching these forums showed me how much I botched a lot of mission 5 and the game in general, and I just want to make sure I get as much of this game right as I can before playing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
friendlygamer wrote:
In a way, aren't they tied together? If a player activates their alien, then receives a new one, the new one isn't activated. However, if a player activates their alien, then their same alien can be activated again after that player took their activation turn? I understand they are different situations, just similar in that the first player in both of these situations already went.

The two issues are different because when activating using a Close Encounter card you are activating aliens based on generic criteria, and you track activations based on play order and who controls which aliens.

Activating an alien with the Xeno-grey, on the other hand, targets a single specific alien and can happen multiple times (for instance, if you have a blue Xeno-grey adjacent to a green Xeno-alpha at {3} from an agent, the blue Xeno-grey can activate the same alpha twice--for a total of four attacks against your poor agent. Ouch!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S.
msg tools
Skaak wrote:
friendlygamer wrote:

The two issues are different because when activating using a Close Encounter card you are activating aliens based on generic criteria, and you track activations based on play order and who controls which aliens.

Activating an alien with the Xeno-grey, on the other hand, targets a single specific alien and can happen multiple times (for instance, if you have a blue Xeno-grey adjacent to a green Xeno-alpha at {3} from an agent, the blue Xeno-grey can activate the same alpha twice--for a total of four attacks against your poor agent. Ouch!).

I guess to add to that, the alpha could go a third time if the xeno-grey was to act before the alpha, making a total of 6 attacks. Yikes!

I appreciate everyone's help here answering my questions and clearing up my confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friendlygamer wrote:
Skaak wrote:
friendlygamer wrote:

I guess to add to that, the alpha could go a third time if the xeno-grey was to act before the alpha, making a total of 6 attacks. Yikes!

I appreciate everyone's help here answering my questions and clearing up my confusion.

Its happened in games I've played before. Luckily we were in the proper formation so the attacks targeted our hulk who soaked them up like a sponge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you don't want to happen is have the blue Xeno-Grey standing right next to the blue Xeno-Nexus while there is an agent in its line of sight. That is a one-way ticket to the apocalypse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genus Solo
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

When multiple aliens in the same area like the xeno grey, which of them will be activated?

In order from the alpha agent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Squish
Germany
flag msg tools
That's correct.
Rulebook 8.3 wrote:

All matching aliens on the map must be activated, starting with the ones controlled by the Alpha Agent and following in clockwise order. If any player controls more than one alien, the player may choose the activation order of his aliens.

Depending on the number of aliens to activate I would try to cause the most possible damage to the agents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynnux
msg tools
Genu1976 wrote:
Hi,

When multiple aliens in the same area like the xeno grey, which of them will be activated?

In order from the alpha agent?

Since the according AI rule states "the closest alien", I'd say it's the choice of the player who has activated the Xeno Grey. Keep in mind that the Xeno Grey shall act like it's smart.
E.g. you have a blue Xeno Grey with a Spine Critter and a Xeno Alpha as closest aliens within 1 area and the closest agent(s) is/are 2 areas away.
If there's just one agent with just a few life left then the Xeno Alpha will be activated twice trying to eliminate the agent.
If there are two or more agents with full health then it might be best for the aliens to activate the Spine Critter to engage as many agents as possible in this area and then activate the Xeno Alpha. Beware that an engaged Agent Mercury can be attacked by the Xeno Alpha, too.
So it fully depends on the situation and is the player's choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.