Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David O
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mb
Does Tennin Institute's ability work with cards like Tyrant and Woodcutter ("can be advanced only while rezzed")?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennin Institute can put an advancement token on any card, even itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrTall wrote:

Any card in play. It can't advance cards in R&D, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mb
DrTall wrote:

Thanks. I understand that it can put counters on ice. I meant, do those count as actual advancement counters for the purposes of Tyrant's subroutine text? Since the card says it can only be advanced while rezzed, if counters are placed upon it when un-rezzed, are they valid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they do count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
hwangman wrote:
Since the card says it can only be advanced while rezzed, if counters are placed upon it when un-rezzed, are they valid?

Any advancement counter works on Tyrant, regardless of where they came from.

Edited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hwangman wrote:
Does Tennin Institute's ability work with cards like Tyrant and Woodcutter ("can be advanced only while rezzed")?

Remember that "advancing a card" is different than "placing an advancement token on a card" Tyrant, Woodcutter, and Salvage (eww) only forbid the former action, not the latter effect.

Shipment from SanSan, Matrix Analyzer, and Trick of Light, on the other hand, all specify that the target you're putting tokens on must be "a card that can be advanced". As those pieces of Weyland ICE can be advanced only while rezzed, the above three cards' effects cannot place advancement tokens on the ICE. Tennin Institute has no such restriction - it just says "a card".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Azeltir wrote:
hwangman wrote:

Remember that "advancing a card" is different than "placing an advancement token on a card" Tyrant, Woodcutter, and Salvage (eww) only forbid the former action, not the latter effect.

Shipment from SanSan, Matrix Analyzer, and Trick of Light, on the other hand, all specify that the target you're putting tokens on must be "a card that can be advanced". As those pieces of Weyland ICE can be advanced only while rezzed, the above three cards' effects cannot place advancement tokens on the ICE. Tennin Institute has no such restriction - it just says "a card".

And, it should be noted, cards do not remember where they got their tokens from. Once on Woodcutter, the advancment token acts just like it would had it been advanced through regular means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so sure about putting the advancement token on the ID itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Morris
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
I'm not so sure about putting the advancement token on the ID itself.

The identity is a card. It is also an active card. Therefore it can be used for an ability that says "place an advancement token on a card."

And for those of you that insist on getting rulings from Lukas as the only way to be convinced, here it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
hwangman wrote:

Crap. I never noticed that wording. I was always under the impression that you could use cards like Shipment from SanSan or Shipment from Kaguya to put advancement tokens on things like Woodcutter. Ah well. The only deck I ever did that with, though, was a deck I'd thrown together because my daughter wanted to try playing and I figured a good way to handicap myself was to include Woodcutter. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MinisterOfPropaganda wrote:
Azeltir wrote:
hwangman wrote:

Crap. I never noticed that wording. I was always under the impression that you could use cards like Shipment from SanSan or Shipment from Kaguya to put advancement tokens on things like Woodcutter. Ah well. The only deck I ever did that with, though, was a deck I'd thrown together because my daughter wanted to try playing and I figured a good way to handicap myself was to include Woodcutter. laugh

You can use those cards to advance the advanceable ICE, as long as it's rezzed before you play the cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Galdames
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's important to understand the difference between "Advancing" and "Putting advancement tokens" on something. Both are different things. While the result is virtually the same, the former refers to the act of advancing, while the latter circumvents the action itself.

Tyrant, Woodcutter and *shudder* Salvage allow the Corp to advance only while rezzed. Putting counters, on the other hand, is NOT advancing. Not in terms of wording, at least.

It's the same reason why Weyland's Because We Build It cannot use its recurring credit with Matrix Analyzer's on-encounter ability; the ID specifically demands "advancing", while the Analyzer uses a credit to "place 1 advancement token".

That's game wording for ya. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.