Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Blind Test Form Feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew NA
msg tools
Hi guys! I just made a Blind Test Form. I was hoping to get some feedback on what information you guys think is necessary for a Blind Test Form just to make sure I'm not forgetting anything. Thanks for the help!
-Drew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what did you put on your form?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. It would be a great help to know what you have already not forgotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing you forgot is... the form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew NA
msg tools
I originally left the form out to not put information in the heads of others before they thought of a list of what should be on a Blind Test Form, but here are the 2 forms I plan on using: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HMhF67-2Rfb52KeP7Lbw...

The Playtester Feedback Form is what the players will fill out and the Designer Notes sheet is what I will be filling out while the game is going on. I will be there taking notes, but I will not interact with the players, and I will not answer questions. Thanks for the help.
-Drew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are doing questionnaire stuff (rate the theme on a scale of 1 poor to 4 great), then I would suggest making the questions more explicit in order to try to get them interpreted more uniformly by testers. Just putting "theme" could be interpreted as "does the theme interest you" or "is the theme well integrated into the game", for instance.

This is one reason you often see questionnaires containing statements that you are meant to agree or disagree with. You could go with that and end up with something like:

Do you agree or disagree with the following statements? (1=strongly disagree, 2=agree, 3=neither agree nor disagree, 4=agree, 5=strongly agree.)

* The theme of the game makes me want to play.

* The rules and mechanics of the game help to strengthen the theme.

and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew NA
msg tools
Thanks Rob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The age of the tester should be optional and/or some sort of grouping, e.g. under 20, 20-29, etc., however you wish to segregate it.

And I think a minimum recommended age might be worth polling.

Favorite Game Genres:
Game Compares To:
Number of Tabletop Games Owned:
Frequency Playing Tabletop Games:

One or more of these may benefit from some choices instead of just blanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew NA
msg tools
Thanks for the ideas. I'm not really a fan of giving options because I think it can create a bias and it's limiting. I understand why others would want to offer options to have a more uniform options, but I don't expect problems interpreting the data so the costs outweigh the strengths for me.

About the age, they are free to put NA on anything if they like. If someone has an issue with a question I just think they will put NA or not answer it. I also don't see the point of grouping the ages. A specific age will give me better feedback.

About the minimum recommended age, I'll consider that. Knowing that would be beneficial, but I'm not sure asking for a recommended age is reliable. Maybe asking if the player feels the game fit their age would be better.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably be making a few changes soon.
-Drew

EDIT: I updated the form, and I took many of your ideas into consideration. Thank you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Becker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
"How much would you pay for this game?" is the type of question I never know how to answer. Any game that doesn't suck I would probably just buy at < $10. What I want to pay, what it's worth, and what I'm willing to pay are all very different things to me.
Maybe you could do a more specific question here.
Ex:
Consider these prices and rate them from 1 to 5 (1= This is an incredible deal! 3= That seems fair. 5= What a rip-off!)
$25
$35
$50
$70

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew NA
msg tools
Which of these is the best way to word it in your opinion:
How much would you pay for this game?
How much do you think this game is worth?
What would you value this game at?
What would you suggest selling this game at?

I think your suggestion would just get people to put the lowest amount as the best deal and the highest amount as a rip off. The middle numbers would get middle ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

If you saw this game in a finished state on the shelf of a game store, how much would you expect it to be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew NA
msg tools
I think that's too wordy, and you are projecting information by saying "in it's finished state". The testers have no way to know what the finished state will be.
-Drew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.