United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rage card in the Holy Nightmare Expansion says a successful hit deals 4 damage and it must be played before rolling and discarded after use.

Can this be played at the beginning of a battle and be used for that entire battle (a successful hit at anytime through the battle deals 4 damage?) or is it a one roll time use only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it really have to be used before rolling? We've played it after a successful roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes before rolling as stated on the expansion card index card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That makes that card a lot less useful. I wish more of the cards included their timing on the card instead of having a need to look them up in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody know which it is? The entire battle or just one roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Squire
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . .
badge
‘I could tell you my adventures–beginning from this morning,’ said Alice a little timidly: ‘but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.’
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the "played before rolling and discarded after use" means that it only applies to one die roll, the same as the other combat bonus cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Corey

To me that seems a bit odd, to fly into a rage in battle for 'one hit' only to then "calm down" for the rest of the battle. It would have made much more sense to play the card at the beginning of the battle (before any dice rolls) and have it last the entire battle.

This would give a better chance against the tougher monsters like the Oak King (level 20), especially if you have no weapons!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Any official confirmation? Robb?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb De Nicola
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Hey sorry for the SUPER late reply, I never seem to get any alerts when these posts come up.

That is correct, it's only used once & after the roll. You need some risk if you use such a powerful card

Thanks everyone!
Robb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epicscalegames wrote:
That is correct, it's only used once & after the roll. You need some risk if you use such a powerful card

So, the rules card is wrong? It does get played after you know it will work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Dell
msg tools
mbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
epicscalegames wrote:

I would appreciate some clarification here, too. The 1.2 FAQ answer to the Rage card says to be confirmed. It would be great if that could possibly be updated in the future. Thanks for the FAQ by the way, it is a great help and I have referred to it quite a bit in learning the game.

The rules card that came with my recent copy of the game says, "A successful attack roll deals 4 health gem damage on any creature. Must be played before rolling & discarded after use."

This is how we have been playing it. If you play it according to the rules card, you declare it before the roll which risks the possibility of a miss and discarding Rage unused. If you play it after the roll, there is no risk of losing Rage to a miss.

If the official comment I quoted is accurate, then there is no risk. So I imagine that was a mistake; but, I would sure like to know the ruling for certain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb De Nicola
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
That was a type-o on my last comment, very sorry about that!
I meant to say"...and ROLL AFTER"

You have been playing correctly!

Robb

Mekhet wrote:
donnbobhardy wrote:
epicscalegames wrote:

I would appreciate some clarification here, too. The 1.2 FAQ answer to the Rage card says to be confirmed. It would be great if that could possibly be updated in the future. Thanks for the FAQ by the way, it is a great help and I have referred to it quite a bit in learning the game.

The rules card that came with my recent copy of the game says, "A successful attack roll deals 4 health gem damage on any creature. Must be played before rolling & discarded after use."

This is how we have been playing it. If you play it according to the rules card, you declare it before the roll which risks the possibility of a miss and discarding Rage unused. If you play it after the roll, there is no risk of losing Rage to a miss.

If the official comment I quoted is accurate, then there is no risk. So I imagine that was a mistake; but, I would sure like to know the ruling for certain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now updated the FAQ to include the RAGE card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb De Nicola
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Dell
msg tools
mbmb
epicscalegames wrote:
That was a type-o on my last comment, very sorry about that!
I meant to say"...and ROLL AFTER"

You have been playing correctly!

Robb

Thanks for the confirmation.

Nickydude wrote:
I've now updated the FAQ to include the RAGE card.

Appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.