Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan D
United States
san antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my wife and I were doing some "spring cleaning" cleaning out the guest bedroom. I brought in a book shelf from the garage and arranged all my games on it. My wife looked at it and asked why I did not put any of the party game (i.e her games) Pictonary, Apples to Apples ,Outburst. Its not that I dont think that these are not fun games. Its just they are casual games and I am not really into that genre of games I guess. Anyways long story short she called me a Game Snob lol...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more of a game hipster than game snob. I look down on a game if it is popular, unless of course, I played it before it was mainstream. But still, I am sure than both our tastes are far more sophisticated than most ol' chum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been there and back again.

I'd rather be a friendly introducer to board games than appear to be a snob. I like gamers, even if we don't like the same games.

Although I do also separate the party games from my game shelf. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at a game meet-up talking to another person there. He mentioned that at the last game meet-up he attended he spent four hours waiting for a game to come up that he was interested in playing before joining in.

I'm not there yet, but I won't agree to play any game someone happens to mention anymore either.

So maybe I'm somewhere between a game plebeian and a game aristocrat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Schumm
Ireland
Flagmount
County Clare
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider myself more of a "game DJ" or a "game mixologist". I definitely keep the party games in close proximity to the real games so that to the layperson they may not even look segregated (which, they are in my brain).

I keep them close because when you get a really varied group of gamers, I want to be able to pull out just the right game for the mood, group, and time available. Sometimes that means picking up a slow evening with a quick round of Taboo. And then upshifting to Settlers. You have to have that balance available if you want to not alienate too many people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enthusiastic about what I like and not as interested in things I don't like.

If my only other option is being even more social reclusive than I already am, I'm fine with people mistaking me for a snob every now and then.

(but really I spend more time trying to be inclusive in the definitions of things like wargame, superhero, science fiction, or punk rock. So I think calling me a snob is generally someone just enthusiastically broadening definitions in their love of judging people!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Becoming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not being a game snob to have preferences on what one enjoys in games, or to take pleasure/pride in having things you value displayed in your home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a game snob anymore than I'm a book snob, or a movie snob, or a food snob, or a wine and beer snob....

Oh, wait a sec. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never knew that one of my childhood's most popular games, Monopoly, drew such ire and was the bane of the board game community until people here on BBG "enlightened" me.
Now I sneer at the game too.
Does that make me a "game snob"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Join the club:
I feel like I've failed as a BGG husband but according to my wife I am just a game snob... because I belittled her new game purchase.

Here's your microbadge: mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan D
United States
san antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
Join the club:
I feel like I've failed as a BGG husband but according to my wife I am just a game snob... because I belittled her new game purchase.

Here's your microbadge: mb

How do you get gold and how much does it cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes all you have to do is ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan D
United States
san antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you I can now turn up my nose in style lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope!

Pete (will play just about anything with just about anyone)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy bad-to-average (not broken) games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Life is too short to play mediocre games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
It's not being a game snob to have preferences on what one enjoys in games, or to take pleasure/pride in having things you value displayed in your home.

But it's WHY you have the preference that makes you a snob or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am from Taiwan.
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a taste preference doesn't make you a snob. Being condescending about why your game is better than others' is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the term connoisseur. Also, casual games are for plebes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not describe myself as a game snob, but generally I don't spend my recreational time doing things I don't like, because then it is work, only I am not getting paid!

So if someone suggests a game I do not like I probably will pass. I don't see why I should play a game I don't like when there is bound to be something I do like. Of course, sometimes a compromise is necessary (Teri's and my taste in games is vastly different) so maybe I will play a game I do not really like if we will then play one my wife does not really like etc., but when at a gaming night there are enough people everyone should be playing something they enjoy, we certainly have enough games to choose from nowadays!

To me a game snob is someone who denigrates the taste of another, which is snobbish. It is one thing to say you don't like something and put it down to a matter of taste, another to say you don't like something because it is inferior and anyone who does like it has bad taste. Each to their own, but once you leave that stance on something that is a matter of taste, then you have become a snob in that field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Stormhammer
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moramis wrote:
Life is too short to play mediocre games.

Yes.

I don't play games that dont make me think anymore. Id rather play Brass or Caylus with enemies than Settlers of Catan with my best friend. The latter is just a waste of time, rather just sit and talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yup, hate love letter .. awful game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit that I sure am a game snob hehe.

BGG learned me to not like Munchkin. Even though thats whats got me back into boardgame as an adult I learned that the game has some problems and to get my group to focus on other (better) games that I bought, I took a snobbish attitude to munchkin.

But not just that, Im also in the cult of the new, since I've gotten into boardgame a year ago I mostly bought all new stuff. I know about Settlers of Catan and Carcasonne - but why do a snob like me need those gateway games that are 10-20 years old when I got newer (=better) gateway games now.

Dont take the reply too serious, Im fully aware of myself being a snob and laugh more at myself for being like that than I actually am snobbing in peoples faces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.