Subject: Recommend Scanner Settings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired a brand new, never opened copy of Dynamite.

I intend to play the game with my kids (played it when I was a boy). Before I apply the stickers, I wanted to scan the sheet to upload to the Geek. That way there's an archived copy for anyone that are missing them.

What is the best format to use and what resolution should I use?

Any other tips when scanning the stickers and rules are welcomed.

Thx,
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's over 9000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
It's over 9000.

Care to elaborate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your own archive, try the highest resolution first. Then, after 20 minutes of scanning and creating a 50GB file, try 600 dpi. Very few individuals will have a printer which can use a resolution this high, but you won't have another chance to make a better scan after they're separated. For saving another copy here at BGG set it for 150 dpi. There are guidelines in the wiki:

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Image_submissions#
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neoOberon wrote:
kittenhoarder wrote:
It's over 9000.

Care to elaborate?

Lol, Byron is quoting a humourous internet meme, google the phrase and all will be revealed. (I guess you had to be there)

FWIW, the higher resolution, the better, but you also end up with large file sizes. My scanner defaults to 300 dpi, I crank it up a notch to 450dpi. But for the purposes of a counter inventory, I'm guessing that 300 dpi is fine.

I'm open to suggestions from the more experienced though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
300 dpi should be fine. That's what we use for production images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
300 dpi is more than enough scanning resolution. It's quite likely that a modern printed game component was printed at that resolution in the first place, in which case going higher isn't going to get you anything at all.

For the image format, use an LZW-compressed TIFF for your archive. This is a lossless format, but the compression makes it a lot smaller than a straight bitmap. There are other compression schemes, but LZW is common and compatible with most programs. For uploading to BGG, export it to a JPG at whatever resolution seems practical for the sheet size and detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the reasons for an image submission being rejected:

•Too big: Scans and copy-photography images of components, such as counter sheets, cards, and other flat materials, may have a maximum resolution of 200ppi, or a maximum size of 1900 pixels on the long side, whichever is less.

Although the "whichever is less" phrase is making my head spin. A width of 800 pixels makes 6000 dpi (or ppi) okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
One of the reasons for an image submission being rejected:

•Too big: Scans and copy-photography images of components, such as counter sheets, cards, and other flat materials, may have a maximum resolution of 200ppi, or a maximum size of 1900 pixels on the long side, whichever is less.

Although the "whichever is less" phrase is making my head spin. A width of 800 pixels makes 6000 dpi (or ppi) okay?
Well, that's a 3mm component. So if your game art is a micro dot, why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.