Subject: I just got my pre-order copy! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got AW and I'm completely blown away by the game. The production quality is top notch! From box, to maps, counters (16 counter sheets) to player aids...as well as GOSS rulebook and exclusive rule book (which are both massive). Content wise, it's massive!!! I spent quite a bit of time over the past few months reading GOSS system rulebook and studying Hurtgen Forest game, I have to say the system rulebook in AW looks better and seems to be better organized and cleared up. I love this system! Sorry not fully qualified to give the game a proper review but I'm very impressed with what's in the game, the system seems a bit of hybrid between operational and grand tactical scale. It's deep yet one doesn't need to know every single rule or a sub rule to enjoy the system and this thing has everything. Chain of Command, general supply, logistics (fuel, ammo, transportation for leg units), Barrages, unit modes, line of sight. 3 turns per day, 1 mile per hex, leg units are battalion size and vehicles are company sized (hence my option about being connected to grand tactical scale). I have decided to stop buying OCS games in the future ( I respect OCS), I just don't see the point.

Cheers!

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
preston smith
United States
Russellville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good for you. Glad you got it. Still waiting here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
razorbacjac wrote:
Good for you. Glad you got it. Still waiting here...

Thanks, I hope you get it soon too in perfect condition...mine arrived safely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found GOSS to be easier to wrap my head around than OCS. I have both, but GOSS has gotten more recent play than OCS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
I found GOSS to be easier to wrap my head around than OCS. I have both, but GOSS has gotten more recent play than OCS.

Same here, for some reason I find reading the GOSS rulebook interesting on it's own...can't say the same thing about OCS. However I do respect OCS system, it's just that for me it feels like the combat stuff is not detailed enough. OCS scale is just too high level for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pat cristy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Got my copy in yesterday. A birthday present just a week or so late. It is massive. Going have to yield the pool table & WaRII to AW. I never really got going on WaRII. Read almost all the rules. How different is GOSS? They came out with HF right?

Too many game and not enough time. Just start back on BfN too and have Day of Days on pre-order. Ahhhh. Can't pass up on the monster Normandy games. Fell in love TLD years ago. Bought two copies too. Flood took them both out. Hope to see a more active forum on this game/system. Really like the scale.

Would love to see GOSS applied to Korsun Pocket and Black Sea Black Death reprints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping someone doesn't like AWII and wants to jettison it from their collection. Thats how I acquired WaRII. Been trying to find someone to do the same with HttRII but no luck so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pat cristy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Tom, I was just looking at your profile. I live in Keller TX. It just west of DFW airport. Have a sister in law in the Houston area. Too bad your not closer to teach me the GOSS rules.

I played the original WAR 25 years ago. Loved it. Broke through the German lines, took Bastonge, crossed the Muese but couldn't break thru the Elsborne ridge area to get the total victory. Had a great time tough. Some broken rules and victory conditions. Looking forward to forcing myself through the GOSS rule system and play both WaR2 and AW2.

Never played Vassal other than solitaire. Might be up for trying Vassal. I stumbled on the Monster game guild tonight. Saw that you were looking for a fourth player on TLD several years back. Have(had-the floods in basement took out over a hundred games) a good collection. Keep me in mind if your looking to put together another team event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let the review nagging begin:

I don't own it and only just found out about it. I have The Longest Day & The Battle for Normandy. How does this compare to those two? I see the scale and turns/day. The DG site shows a lot of landing beach detail for the assault day. What I can't find at the DG site are the rules because I'd like to know how it handles the June 6 AM air support/naval bombardment/landing assault. For instance, TBfN just skips the first two but TLD lays it on. TBfN has no Crab flails, but the TLD has them and the DG site shows one on the VRE counter.

And what about naval support? I don't see any ship counters at the DG site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Naval support is operational - no indiv ship counters. You receive so many naval fire support mission pts (representing BBs, CAs, CLs, DDs and Monitors) each day and use these as fire support missions thruout the day, subject to ammunition depletion. The landing games are solitaire games you can play as stand alone games themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.