Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, it's a build which uses flagships and cards to enable at least one ship to rocket to the other side of the board on turn 1 (while people are still raising their ablative armor, cloaking, getting stuff off the sideboard, etc.

A variation of this build I've seen is the Suicide slingshot build, where the ship that zooms to the other side is there to blow up and hurt the other team (while they are still concentrated). A variation of that is designed to shoot them up first, and then blow up when THEY destroy him.

Case in point --
U.S.S. Enterprise-D (28)
James T. Kirk (6)
Cheat Death (3)
I Stab at Thee (4)
Boheeka (3)
Dmitri Valtane (3)
Romulan Pilot (3)
Total (50)

U.S.S. Reliant (20)
Flagship: Independent (Dominion) (10)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Hikaru Sulu (3)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)
Secondary Torpedo Launcher (4)
Total (49)

Fleet total: 99

Generated by Space Dock for iOS
http://spacedockapp.org

Saw this online. So I'm not sure exactly the sequence but the D gets to the other side of the board and does an appreciable amount of damage to someone, ideally getting in among them and then gets shot at. When he blows up, he does the I Stab at thee thing and comes back with cheat death. They destroy him again and he does it again.

What are the essentials of playing this build, and is this a trick that is likely to work more than once? How do you fight the slingshot? My guess would be to not kill him a second time, try to extend and kill him then?

Seems really annoying. Especially since the Reliant is coming up behind him with Quantum torpedoes AND a secondary launcher (and probably a battlestations)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey that looks alot like mine except for the Secondary Tops.

Playing the build greatly depends on your opponents setup. Part of the strength of the build is you can decide if you want to move the slingshot ship first or second. Your ships should be setup next to each other and choose a 5 Straight (ent-D) and a 2-Straight. Also be aware that the distance from setup zone line to setup zone line is ~17.5 base lengths (70 cm)

Case 1) If they setup close together immediately across from you and stay that way (for the most part) during their movement:
* Slingshot move First - grants the Bullet ship a 5 forward. Less if the enemy came off the line with aggressive speed. (total forward movement in base lengths = 6, or 5 move + 1 ship base itself)
* Bullet moves an additional 5 forward on its turn. (total forward movement in base lengths = 12)
* Bullet activates Romulan Pilot for a free scan and a bank 1 or Straight 3 depending on what target you want to bear down on and enemy formation to get off I Stab. (total forward movement ~15-16 lengths
* Bullet takes Battlestations for it's action.

So your first shot should be with the Bullet at Range 1 with Scan, BS, 2 die reroll, and a blank-to-hit. If they manage to chew through your 9 hp in that turn, add another 3 unmodified dice to that, which is usually enough to explode most normal ships, also ships will be uncloaking to fire, making them vulnerable to the Reliant coming up from behind.

On the second round and beyond, depending how that went, you can maintain some close distance with your 2-Full Astern maneuver and 360 arc (even though you lose your actions) or zoom forward out of the line of fire and attempt to turn around for another pass. The Reliant should always be on the defensive unless there's nothing shooting at it. 5-6 defense dice + one BS to Evade conversion is pretty strong against standard attacks. That leaves your free TL and free BS from Picard for your Torps.

---

Case 2) If they spread out their ships: Even better for you, divide and conquer is an easy way to win with your relatively high firepower.
*Don't Slingshot, keep your ships together, and if you think that the Bullet is too close to the Slingshot, just push it gently forward 3 so you're out of I Stab range.
*Remember that you can do a Red Backup or Red Turn with the Bullet and the Slingshot can clear it by giving it a green maneuver
* Remember that you can switch up the order if the Bullet is about to bump and you'd rather it didn't. By having the Sling move first you can alter the Bullets trajectory.

---

Fighting the slingshot - set up facing parallel to the starting edge and move straight away from the approaching enemy, or set up on opposite board corners (which is hard since the slingshot uses 2x 9 skills. Keep your ships together but outside of the effective Stab range. Try to get the Slingshot build to separate it's forces and then turn and engage while the Sling is still lagging behind. Your other option is to try to blast past the Bullet and take out the Sling first (which will be difficult because of it's high defense) but after that the Bullet's decreased maneuverability should allow you to stay out of Stab range fairly easily.

This build could probably be updated using Voyager as the Bullet, but the Reliant still seems like the best fed ship to have as the sling thanks to its low cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense since I think I got it watching your hangouts. I'm going to have to try out some approaches on a practice board before I think about trying it in a game. It's a great trick though. Right now I'm trying to build to keep things as simple as I can so I don't forget a rule or get overwhelmed. I find that happens in Star Wars if I try to take too many ships.

The reason this stuck in my mind originally was that I tend to play against cloaked Klingons and even if the torpedo boat isn't tuned to them, the idea of suddenly appearing right beside them on turn 1 when they are cloaking is a pretty compelling notion. And what does a Klingon do? He pounds the heck out of the enemy at point blank range! Oops. Bang. Ship reappears and then what does he do? Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Pity you didn't film your build in action complete with the details of watching you execute it. Knowing what to do is good. Knowing how to do it is often harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The suicide slingshot is tricky. The build is easy, but it's the finesse of the build that makes it tricky. I never had consistent success with it.

However, it's not two difficult to have Picard and Kirk fire torpedoes on turn 1. Anywhere from 10-16 dice (with convert and scans) being thrown at the opponent of your choice. Build it right and you'll bring a Miles to include a disable to cut a hole in your opponents pesky defenses (Feedback, CS, Varel, Ablative, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This build was back with Admiral's Orders so that helped alot as well. There's this replay, but yeah, it doesn't have the full decision tree of "how far do I actually want to go" that happens in turn 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it on my table at home. Of course it's hard to outguess yourself when you are playing both sides. It's surprisingly difficult because once the opponent has gotten over the initial shock, there are a lot of options but most of them are annoying for the Klingons. In both plays, I one-shotted the Ch'Tang by practically colliding with it. It was my target of choice because it was in the middle and it had moved. But then I was up against two Vor'Chas.

One thing I noticed playing the Klingons (don't usually) is they are really action poor in the normal cases. Using their action to cloak repeatedly is so expensive in terms of actions and lack of a battlestation hurts them too.

Also the Reliant is potent, but if you spend your action to enable the torpedo again and lock onto a Vor'Cha, you are just too vulnerable and need to use Sulu rather than doing both in one turn. In the first go, Kirk's explosion did no damage! In the second game, the same thing happened. I rolled again twice and took the average, but it's a lesson.

Once you are twisting and turning, especially with the Reliant, desperately trying to re-enable the torps and lock on with two damaged Vor'Chas trying to line up shots was interesting. Really it can go either way but the torpedoes only seem to work because they never get the chance for that initial alpha strike from cloak.

I'm guessing the first time an opponent sees this attack, he's a little flummoxed. How do you turn to put your arcs on the Galaxy when the Reliant is locked on and approaching with Quantum Torpedoes? The usual simple choices for the Klingons at the least become really complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.