Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin H
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Rococo, Concordia and (a little less so) Lewis & Clark one action you can do is to get more cards in your hands and those cards increase the number of action choices you have (and sometimes it just makes some actions more efficient).

Are there any other games with this mechanic?

I am not really a fan of pure deck building games, so I am not really looking for one of those.

Edit: I am also thinking of something that grows a little faster than Mage Knight or Path Finder where you only get a new card when you level etc...

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Keyflower match your criterion? I think so because, as each player's array gets larger, there are more choices for where to place your meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Acres of Snow does this well, in my opinion, while allowing the deck building to support the rest of the game, opposed to simply being the game.

At the end of the day, are you just looking for games that offer in-game card drafting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin H
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower matches a little bit, but in Keyflower, everyone is adding tiles every turn, whereas I like how it the 3 I mentioned, you don't need to add any, its just an option. Besides, I already have Keyflower.

I am not really into war games, so I don't think I would like A Few Acres of Snow.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin H
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yes, I would prefer it where it supports the game rather than being the game.

I don't think in game card drafting is what I am looking for either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Caylus, a worker-placement game, one of the things players can do is build more buildings, and those buildings are locations where workers can be placed, so more options for actions are created as the game progresses.

Ora et Labora has a similar thing going on, where you may build buildings that provide you with more actions you can take, but in its case there is more ownership of the buildings, so generally the buildings you place expand your actions more than they expand the shared pool of actions available. (Though, other players can pay you to take one of your actions for them.)

Antiquity is a third board game where you build buildings that increase the options available for you to do, and you also can increase the number of workers you have available, increase the number of things you can do. In this game, those increases are purely owned by the player who build the buildings in question.

Do any of those sound like what you're looking for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Agricola and Caverna add new actions each game turn.

Lords of Waterdeep players build new action spaces for worker placement throughout the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin H
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you are all right that worker placement games where you build buildings all meet my criteria from above. I think I just don't know how to explain exactly what I am looking for.

I've heard the mechanic get called a slow deck building game. Unlike Dominion, where all you do is buy cards each turn, these games have other mechanics and other things going on. Each turn, you have a hand of cards (which are essentially actions) that you can play. One of those cards is a "buy a new card" action, but most do other things.

PS. I own Ora et Labora, Agricola, Caverna and Lords of Waterdeep and I've played Caylus. Unfortunately, Antiquity is outside of the price range I am looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes does this pretty well with, for example, Researcher Cards including Special Knowledge, General Knowledge and Rumours and Legends. The Time Marker adds an interesting mechanic to the game. If competitive archaeology is a theme you find of interest I suggest you have a look at Thebes

By getting more cards in your hand you increase the number of action choices you have in Africana and Egizia.

Some of the expansions contained in Alhambra: Big Box also produce this effect. Similarly, some variants within Catan: Traders & Barbarians produce this effect for Catan. Two other very good games offer what (I think) you are looking for but not through card acquisition.

Assyria for similar reasons noted in an earlier reply by David Gibbs regarding Caylus

The Princes of Florence is another excellent game that allows you to increase action choices as you acquire/build jesters and builders, for example.

Good luck!

EDIT: Corrected typos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Raabe
United States
flag msg tools
The variety of actions you can take in Troyes and Tournay expand as the games progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Le Havre, players and the town build and buy buildings which then become spaces on which to take actions. By the end of the game, there are over 20 buildings to place on, whereas in the start there are three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
OR
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
mhost2 wrote:
In Rococo, Concordia and (a little less so) Lewis & Clark one action you can do is to get more cards in your hands and those cards increase the number of action choices you have (and sometimes it just makes some actions more efficient).

Are there any other games with this mechanic?

I am not really a fan of pure deck building games, so I am not really looking for one of those.

Edit: I am also thinking of something that grows a little faster than Mage Knight or Path Finder where you only get a new card when you level etc...

Thanks.

Very much in line with Rococo, Concordia and Lewis & Clark is City of Iron which was also released last year. I rate all 4 of those games very highly and if you like the first three I'm pretty certain you'll enjoy City of Iron. Each of the 4 games employ the "slow deck/pool building mechanic you are referring to although each does it with a unique twist on the concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
mhost2 wrote:
I am not really into war games, so I don't think I would like A Few Acres of Snow.
As much as it's war themed (and categorized), it really isn't a war game, it's a highly tuned deck builder essentially, where the cards allow you do do a set number of actions with increasing efficiency as you improve your slim deck. You can easily win without firing a single shot in it. It was exactly what I was going to suggest as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Seasons?

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus: everyone's choices of actions grows as the game progresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other ideas:

Race for the Galaxy
Glory to Rome

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Study in Emerald. It has that deck building element, but it's in service to the strategies you're trying to accomplish on the board, not the end in itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hoon
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy The New Era and its expansion Winter. It has a very good "action increase" mechanic in my opinion. Not only can you interact with your own cards, but you can also interact in various ways with your opponents' cards. A very good game in my opinion and one of my favourites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think many explore and develop games provide wider scope for action, as new terrain is encountered and infrastructure is built.

See Archipelago, for instance, which also has 'evolution cards' which in many cases grant special actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eoin Corrigan wrote:
I think many explore and develop games provide wider scope for action, as new terrain is encountered and infrastructure is built.

See Archipelago, for instance, which also has 'evolution cards' which in many cases grant special actions.

+1

This was actually the first game that came to mind for me! So good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, you've got Civilization style games. As you research more techs, you get more and more benefits. For example, in Clash of Cultures, if you research "Irrigation" you can harvest food from a barren space. Or if you get Economic Liberty, your first harvest action each turn is free (and you're only allowed 3 actions a turn, essentially giving you 4).

Caylus is a great choice. Every game is different as the village is developed. While everyone gets the benefit of a new building, owning that building has significant benefits
1) When someone else uses your building, you get 1 VP
2) If it's a stone building, you also might get one added resource bonus
3) Using one of your own buildings always costs $1, regardless of the normal going rate
4) You can turn your buildings into residences (provide income) and later, into prestige buildings (provide lots of VPs).

Of course, all this has to be balanced with building the castle and saving up money for the provost. Hot damn, this game is beautiful.

Of course, you could go for a classic: Race for the Galaxy where as the tableau grows, so do your abilities. However, playing a card from your hand for a given ability like what L&C does (I am unfamiliar with the other games) brings a hand management aspect to it. Hmmmm.

One of the best hand management games I own is Gears of War: The Board Game. There is a hand limit of 6 (that also is your health bar) and as the game goes on, you'll probably get down to around 2 or 3 cards. But the more cards you have, the more you can do (reaction abilities, activating special locations, picking up weapons, etc) plus the safer you are from enemy attacks (due to more health). Of course, what cards you draw each turn are random and you're probably looking for a game with a static set of options.

Zulus on the Ramparts! actually fits this quite well. It's a clever little quick playing solitaire game with excellent hand management. You can play cards to your tableau and these cards have an action available. You can also take the card back to your hand to do a different action. Finally, you can discard the card to do a one-off action. In this game, your choice of actions will grow and knowing the prime time to kill a card is huge. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain might be a good candidate for you. Its not a strict deck builder, though that's one of the mechanics in the game. More options become available to you because you will acquire technologies during the game to advance whichever strategy you are working toward. The expansion for it adds even more variety and replayability to the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin H
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Iron seems like exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be looking into a few more of those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alam Muammar
Indonesia
Bandung
West Java
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
terpitude71 wrote:
Eminent Domain might be a good candidate for you. Its not a strict deck builder, though that's one of the mechanics in the game. More options become available to you because you will acquire technologies during the game to advance whichever strategy you are working toward. The expansion for it adds even more variety and replayability to the base game.

+1 Eminent Domain, when you buy a new powerful technology you can just played it at the next turn, unlike any deck building game the card goes to your hands not to discard pile, no need to wait for luck on shuffling, the game feel more strategic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers - you better buy more ships and get more actions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.