Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting:

Ohio Enacts Released Time Program, Effective In September

This weekend, the Cleveland Plain Dealer carried op-ed columns supporting and opposing Ohio House Bill 171 (full text) which was signed into law by the governor last month. (Legis. status report.) The law, which will go into effect in September, allows school districts to approve "released time" programs during which students can be excused from school to attend a program of religious instruction elsewhere. High school students can earn up to two units of course credit for participation in a released time offering. No public funds or school personnel may be used in the religious instruction.

In support:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/07/ohio_made_r...

Against:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/07/regardless_...

Full text of bill that was passed :

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/BillText130/130_HB_171_PS...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have anything against the program per-se. As long as:

A)No rebates etc are given to the parents of students to 'pro-rate' the time spent not on school grounds.

B)The credits obtained fall under the 'Elective' category. I don't see anything specifically unique about religion vs Non-religion when it comes to electives. They're all just interest driven courses anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Shadrach wrote:
I don't have anything against the program per-se. As long as:

A)No rebates etc are given to the parents of students to 'pro-rate' the time spent not on school grounds.

B)The credits obtained fall under the 'Elective' category. I don't see anything specifically unique about religion vs Non-religion when it comes to electives. They're all just interest driven courses anyway.

The issue boils down to this: Is what is going to be taught in the release-time courses simply religious education about the Bible? OR will it also entail Creationism and political propaganda against abortion, homosexuals, etc.?

None of the school officials can vouch for the content of what will be taught in those release-time courses.

Quoting from an excerpt of ACLU rep Gary Daniel's opinion column against the release-time bill: "In their zeal to have schools endorse sectarian teachings having zero relationship to academics, they also tied the hands of school districts to evaluate what is taught during released time. When schools go to decide whether or not to allow credit, they will learn they are barred from considering the religious content of what is taught. Ohio students can now learn dinosaurs died off millions of years ago ]during their regular science class] –– yet also learn that dinosaus lived only a few thousand years ago [during their religious release-time class] -- and potentially receive credit for both lessons."

The release-time effort is just another encroachment of Dominionism extending its tentacles to worm its way into all aspects of American life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

...just another encroachment of Dominionism extending its tentacles to worm its way into all aspects of American life.

Geez, James-
Dominion isn't my favorite game either, but I don't think that its THAT popular!!

God, if all games were like Dominion, that really would be the end of America as we know it.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
The bill doesn't even require schools to allow this; it simply makes it possible for the districts to allow it. Looking at the text of the bill, the provisions relating to how credit is assessed don't seem substantially different for ordinary school courses, so you're no more likely to see people getting credit for learning young earth creationism or the like than they are otherwise. As usual, it appears James' fears are rather misplaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

...just another encroachment of Dominionism extending its tentacles to worm its way into all aspects of American life.

Geez, James-
Dominion isn't my favorite game either, but I don't think that its THAT popular!!

God, if all games were like Dominion, that really would be the end of America as we know it.

Darilian

No, no, no Dar, he's lamenting the rising demand for this late mediocre selection from gothic rock legend The Sisters of Mercy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea what the big deal is with this. It's been SOP in Utah and Idaho for generations. It's an elective, no school credit as I recall (so no chance of finishing a semester early like many others did), it doesn't give a financial discount or anything. Four years of high school and you got Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenenats/church history.

The thing that interests me is how it gets run, who is sponsoring the classes, and how many different denominations they will cater to. Too broad, and I think it would be ineffectual. Too narrow, and you'll get Baptists up in arms with Pentecostals up in arms with Catholics and vice visa versa.

Now that I think about it, though, I wonder if other faiths had their own release programs. Never heard of any...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Darilian wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

Geez, James-

Especially if it were re-themed with a Dominion theology bent.

However, having encountered with one of those Dominionist worthies who asserted modern/Euro strategy games were "satanic", under Dominionism, you most likely wouldn't be able to play Vaccarino's "Dominion" card game anymore without its being re-themed with Dominion theology bent to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

twomillionbucks wrote:
The bill doesn't even require schools to allow this; it simply makes it possible for the districts to allow it. Looking at the text of the bill, the provisions relating to how credit is assessed don't seem substantially different for ordinary school courses, so you're no more likely to see people getting credit for learning young earth creationism or the like than they are otherwise. As usual, it appears James' fears are rather misplaced.

On the contrary, although the concept of release time, whereby students leave public school during the day for religious instruction offsite, was upheld by the Supreme Court in 1952, it’s important to remember, however, that public schools are NOT required to permit outside groups to run release-time programs. If a school chooses to do so, it should not promote the plan or encourage students to take part in it. In addition, schools should not punish students who choose not to take part. Students who don’t want to participate in release-time programs should not see their education suffer. They should be given meaningful instruction while the program runs.

But even though the school system is not even allowed to evaluate the content of the offsite programs, the religious organizations sponsoring them have nonetheless made inroads because the school system is expected to award credit to the students completing the release-time courses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
No idea what the big deal is with this. It's been SOP in Utah and Idaho for generations. It's an elective, no school credit as I recall (so no chance of finishing a semester early like many others did), it doesn't give a financial discount or anything.

The version in the OP gives you school credit. So a kid could potentially miss out on some education compared with an after school or Sunday school type program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

sbszine wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
No idea what the big deal is with this. It's been SOP in Utah and Idaho for generations. It's an elective, no school credit as I recall (so no chance of finishing a semester early like many others did), it doesn't give a financial discount or anything.

The version in the OP gives you school credit. So a kid could potentially miss out on some education compared with an after school or Sunday school type program.

That's why one must question whether such release-time programs are more geared toward Education OR Sectarian Indoctrination.

I infer it would be the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it. Make your kids dumber. As long as they figure out how to flip burgers for my kids they can pray all day long instead of learning that satanic math and science if you want them to. The McDonalds instructions don't even require a mastery of English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
Go for it. Make your kids dumber. As long as they figure out how to flip burgers for my kids they can pray all day long instead of learning that satanic math and science if you want them to. The McDonalds instructions don't even require a mastery of English.

They won't be missing science or math classes. They'll be missing... hell, I don't remember. Typing? Wood shop? They won't be missing any of the fundamentals. And if you think that an hour of learning about God will make an hour of learning about chemical bonds dribble out their earhole, then you think God is far more powerful than I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

That's why one must question whether such release-time programs are more geared toward Education OR Sectarian Indoctrination.

With the state of our public schools, its really just trading one indoctrination for another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
They won't be missing science or math classes. They'll be missing... hell, I don't remember. Typing? Wood shop? They won't be missing any of the fundamentals.

Depends what's core in your school district. For me it was English and maths only, with science being an elective. Though when I went to primary school region was core and I had to get special dispensation to swap it out for reading novels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
They won't be missing science or math classes. They'll be missing... hell, I don't remember. Typing? Wood shop? They won't be missing any of the fundamentals.

Depends what's core in your school district. For me it was English and maths only, with science being an elective. Though when I went to primary school region was core and I had to get special dispensation to swap it out for reading novels.

Most USA high schools have required amounts of math, science, language skills (writing, speech/debate, literature), social sciences, physical education, and history that must be completed at some point during the 4 years of attendance. Which there are electives ways to get those fulfilled, for example business math vs algebra, general survey science vs more concentrated one subject science like Chemistry, etc. But nobody can get a diploma without some set of core ideas being presented to them.

Now on top of those core there are still a couple of hours a day for electives like band, choir, drama, foreign languages, typing, shop, and dozens of other similar offerings. Including time release for other pursuits like art classes at community colleges and/or including part time on the job training in things like "office work", or auto repair, vet assistant etc. So this isn't some totally new idea or concept it is just letting kids earn credit for learning something the school doesn't officially offer on campus. A long time well established practice in most school districts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as the kids get the three R's and as long as no funding is provided (as well as they still have to sit the same exams, and their "extra curricular education is not taken into account") I have no issue with this.

Of course this will lead to demands that these kids are indeed going to get their own exam papers that take into account their "sciecne" lessons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
I took plenty of elective classes in high school. I don't see the problem, and I think this is preferable to the school system offering religious classes on campus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it seves basicalkly as elective classes and all religious can do it, I don't see a fundamental objection. Thus, Jews could do Jewish studies, Catholics whatever it is Catholics do and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
whac3 wrote:
As long as it seves basicalkly as elective classes and all religious can do it, I don't see a fundamental objection. Thus, Jews could do Jewish studies, Catholics whatever it is Catholics do and so on.

I don't think we want to let the Catholics do whatever it is they do.

I was referring to Catholics generally, not perverted priests. I don't think they're any more representative of Catholics than televangelists are representative of your our beliefs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
i think the big question is how are the elective sessions assessed?

In the UK each school sits a subject exam paper from one of the exam boards of which there are several. so schools A/B/C may sit an exam from exam board X, and schools L/N/M sit one from board Y. but both exam boards papers are assessed to make sure they are roughly the same weight etc; so a student getting an A on one boards should be as good at maths as one getting an A from the other exam.

in a similar way universities set their own exam papers but they all have to be peer assessed to make sure they are good enough etc.

if schools are being forced to accept credit from an external 'board' for religious studies, then surely something needs to be done to assess how good the external board is?

for example a single school could have kids going to (for example) a Jewish studies school; a middle of the road catholic school; a westbro type school or young earth school. the idea that we should let them assess the students and force credit on schools is laughable.. as is the idea that young earth nutjobs should get as much credit for anything..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem is the credits. It undermines the legitimacy of the education to have external, unaudited, arbitrary curriculum be counted as part of the High School Diploma, which is kind of a certificate of achievement to some extent. If you want to cut out study halls, non credit classes and free periods so the kids can go to 3rd party tutors, then fine. Just don't extend the public stamp of approval by validating them with credit hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
My problem is the credits. It undermines the legitimacy of the education to have external, unaudited, arbitrary curriculum be counted as part of the High School Diploma, which is kind of a certificate of achievement to some extent. If you want to cut out study halls, non credit classes and free periods so the kids can go to 3rd party tutors, then fine. Just don't extend the public stamp of approval by validating them with credit hours.

that's pretty much what i meant but in a more coherent manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
I am not that up on the US credit system, but as I understand it it just is a means of showing they have actually attended school for a given length of time? It is not an actual academic qualification, just a statement "this kind did not bunk off or drop out", correct?

So a question, if (as some are suggesting) this law will damage kids academically, will that not show up in their grades, irrespective of their graduating? If this is the case, I am not sure it's that bad a thing. Look at what a person did, not how long they sat in the classroom for should be how you judge a persons schooling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I am not that up on the US credit system, but as I understand it it just is a means of showing they have actually attended school for a given length of time? It is not an actual academic qualification, just a statement "this kind did not bunk off or drop out", correct?

Somewhat, the credits ensure the students spend a certain amount of time in approved instruction with accredited instructors. You can, as a student, decide to forgo uncredited time and take classes worth higher amounts of credit and graduate early. So, it's not really just "straight" time, it is "quality" time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.