Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Dominion: Hinterlands» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cardtype of Tunnel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One short and simple question: Is the Tunnel an action card?

I ask, because on the one hand, I think, all reaction cards are also action cards per definition. Since this card is partly blue, it is a reaction card.

On the other hand, this card misses the usual text "Action - Reaction", all other reaction cards have on their bottom.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tunnel is not an Action card. It is a Victory - Reaction card, just like Fools Gold is a Treasure - Reaction card.

That's why Tunnel is combo green-blue and not just blue.
11 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Hermjard wrote:
I ask, because on the one hand, I think, all reaction cards are also action cards per definition.

Why do you think that?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaction cards are not action cards by definition. A card is only an action card if you can play it normally during the action phase. Since Tunnel is not able to be played normally during the action phase, it is not an action card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
Reaction cards are not action cards by definition. A card is only an action card if you can play it normally during the action phase. Since Tunnel is not able to be played normally during the action phase, it is not an action card.
Or, the rules literalism answer: a card is an Action Card if and only if it has the type "Action" at the bottom (and Tunnel does not).
7 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
Tunnel is not an Action card. It is a Victory - Reaction card, just like Fools Gold is a Treasure - Reaction card.

That's why Tunnel is combo green-blue and not just blue.


Yes, but Action - Reaction cards are neither white-blue, but pure blue.

The definition by printed terms at the card bottom might be consistent though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermjard wrote:
Buggy wrote:
Tunnel is not an Action card. It is a Victory - Reaction card, just like Fools Gold is a Treasure - Reaction card.

That's why Tunnel is combo green-blue and not just blue.


Yes, but Action - Reaction cards are neither white-blue, but pure blue.


Yes, exactly. Action - Reaction cards are pure Blue. Tunnel is not pure Blue. It is not an Action - Reaction card.

Quote:
The definition by printed terms at the card bottom might be consistent though.


Here you are correct. Always use the type on the bottom of the card. Tunnel says "Victory - Reaction" so that is what it is. Tunnel does NOT say "Action" anywhere in that area, so it is NOT an Action card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermjard wrote:
Buggy wrote:
Tunnel is not an Action card. It is a Victory - Reaction card, just like Fools Gold is a Treasure - Reaction card.

That's why Tunnel is combo green-blue and not just blue.


Yes, but Action - Reaction cards are neither white-blue, but pure blue.

The definition by printed terms at the card bottom might be consistent though.

The colours are there to act as reminders of when a card does something - the types (at the bottom of the card) are definitive in terms of the rules for what the card does when. And yes, Action - Reaction cards should have been white-blue but Donald decided that would be confusing to new players in the base game where that was the only example.

See this post by Donald X for the reasoning in his own words.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.