Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I have one health left, my opponent has a Beast Genetic Expert ( burst) in play. He has 13 health but I have 4 attacking characters that will deal a net of 13 damage. Who wins?

Beast Genetic Expert- when KO'd while blocking, deal 2 damage to opponent.

I have enough unblocked attacks that will win the game. So, do you assign damage to characters first then KO, then damage players? Or, is it all simultaneous and we knock each other out? Game in limbo!!!

thanks for any help,

Alex

ps- oh I didn't even notice the heal 1 health as well, does my opponent actually come back to life with one health. Confusing timing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keebler Powell
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Blustar wrote:
1. I have one health left, my opponent has a Beast Genetic Expert ( burst) in play. He has 13 health but I have 4 attacking characters that will deal a net of 13 damage. Who wins?

Beast Genetic Expert- when KO'd while blocking, deal 2 damage to opponent.

I have enough unblocked attacks that will win the game. So, do you assign damage to characters first then KO, then damage players? Or, is it all simultaneous and we knock each other out? Game in limbo!!!

thanks for any help,

Alex

ps- oh I didn't even notice the heal 1 health as well, does my opponent actually come back to life with one health. Confusing timing!

I am guessing you mean you have 5 characters attacking so that beast has someone to block.

But the answer is that you will win. Your opponent will hit 0 life prior to beast's getting ko'd triggers. As all combat damage is simultanius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is still up for debate what the proper order is. There are good arguments for either interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The effect is due to damage as soon as one player is at zero game over, a player at zero can't apply effects of a knocked out beast because he's out of the game the second he's reached zero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No one debates that a player at zero instantly loses.

The debate is when does the player receive damage. There are lots of threads on this debate. until Wizkids chimes in, its whatever you and your playing partners agree on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smat Denley
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
I would lean towards the attacking player getting the win. When there is a timing issue the attacking player applies all affects first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas W
United States
Arroyo Grande
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
The active player would win if he assigns his unblocked attacker's damage first, which would be the smart move...

EDIT: for clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The order of damage assignment has no relevance in this case. The only time I could think the order of assignment matters is if the defender wants to see how damage is going to be assigned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keebler Powell
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
DDoubleVVision wrote:
The active player would win if he assigns his unblocked attacker's damage first, which would be the smart move...

You can't pick to assign any characters damage before another. Combat damage is simultaneous.

*** Unless Hawkeye (the first strike one) is engaged with an opposing character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keebler Powell
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Kworth wrote:
It is still up for debate what the proper order is. There are good arguments for either interpretation.

I didn't see this post till after I posted my last quote.(My bad.)

Can you explain the other view point?

IE How you would get to pick the VS Player Damage to Resolve Prior to the VS character damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas W
United States
Arroyo Grande
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
Keeblerpowell wrote:
DDoubleVVision wrote:

You can't pick to assign any characters damage before another. Combat damage is simultaneous.

*** Unless Hawkeye (the first strike one) is engaged with an opposing character.

Yes damage is simultaneous, but you still resolve damage one at a time. If you look at the original post, there is a game example and timing question, which is what I was answering. The active player would assign damage first, per the rules, because in that case, the order of assigning damage is important. He would assign damage from his unblocked characters first, bringing opponent's life to zero and win the game (I am assuming he meant he has unblocked characters that would do 13 damage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keebler Powell
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
DDoubleVVision wrote:
Keeblerpowell wrote:
DDoubleVVision wrote:

Yes damage is simultaneous, but you still resolve damage one at a time. If you look at the original post, there is a game example and timing question, which is what I was answering. The active player would assign damage first, per the rules, because in that case, the order of assigning damage is important. He would assign damage from his unblocked characters first, bringing opponent's life to zero and win the game (I am assuming he meant he has unblocked characters that would do 13 damage).

I think this is where I am not understanding. Where in the rules does it say damage can be resolved separately. If this were the case when would the damage Cary over from thrown car resolve? At the time the character took damage or when unblocked characters deal damage?

Not trying to seem duchey, this just doesn't seem correct.

When you agree damage is simultaneous but then say your resolving it in 2 steps the in which the order is picked by the attacker... I just can't find this in the rule book.

Again trying to understand not trying to be a bone head or troll.

EDIT:

I DO agree that triggers (or globals that prevent damage) can be triggered in an order picked by the turn player.

But I don't see how the damage itself can resolve at different times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas W
United States
Arroyo Grande
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
I should have used the word "assign" instead of "resolve". Where it is relevant, the attacker assigns damage first, per the rulebook page 8.

99% of the time is it not relevant, but in the case of the original post, it is relevant. If it weren't for the above rule, then stalemates would be possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keebler Powell
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
DDoubleVVision wrote:
I should have used the word "assign" instead of "resolve". Where it is relevant, the attacker assigns damage first, per the rulebook page 8.

99% of the time is it not relevant, but in the case of the original post, it is relevant. If it weren't for the above rule, then stalemates would be possible.

Why would the order in which the damaged was assigned change any outcome of the scenario above if the damage still resolves simultaneously?

When the damage actually resolves the order in which is was assigned means nothing. *** unless there is something I am missing. I very well may be...

I didn't realize there was a spilt in the community on this at all. The comprehensive rules can't come soon enough! Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximus
msg tools
Smat008 wrote:
I would lean towards the attacking player getting the win. When there is a timing issue the attacking player applies all affects first.

This is all anyone needs to know on the issue. Attacker wins, end of story.

Even without this, damage is simultaneous - damage has to be applied to KO Beast, thus damage happens before KO effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas W
United States
Arroyo Grande
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
Keeblerpowell wrote:
Why would the order in which the damaged was assigned change any outcome of the scenario above if the damage still resolves simultaneously?

When the damage actually resolves the order in which is was assigned means nothing. *** unless there is something I am missing. I very well may be...

Because you can't have both players reach 0 life at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.