Popular Tags: [View All]
Chester
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
The heroes we deserve!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Kickstarter backer of this game, am I the only one a little miffed by the Express version? First of all, who needs an express version of a 20 minutes game!? Typically express versions strip down a meaty game and offer a bare bones experience with similar theme, mechanics, and feel for much less time. Second of all, who needs another card version of a card game!? It's like making the express version of Yahtzee with only 3 dice! Absurd! Third of all, it seems the publisher is lavishing much more attention on the Express version than the original. It is even listed as a re-implementation on the BGG game page. How can you market and sell a game, then repeat for the same game again!? Is Crash Games getting a better deal on the express version than the original?

Perhaps some more information on the how these two games are related and how they came to be might answer some of my questions. Full disclosure in that I know the designer of Yardmaster and I bought this game because I know him to design well thought-out and fun games and I wanted to support his efforts. But right now I am definitely feeling like Crash Games took his design and gave it the bare bones treatment to bring it to market before poaching it to run with their own project based on his hard work. I sincerely apologize if I am way off base here and please somebody educate me if that is the case.

[Edit: thank you all for the responses, removed inflammatory reference to publisher from title]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Relationship to Yardmaster Express? Crash Games shadiness?
Yeah, it's just you.

Bare bones? haha Come on! Yardmaster is going to be awesome and has CRAZY bling for a small card game...and that was BEFORE the announced mini-expansion tied to Breaking Bad.

David was inspired by it and made a different game that happens to play faster and fits an even more popular niche right now of microgaming. I'm excited about both, but everyone's going to have their favorite. They're both sweet and different; what's not to like?

Finally, accusing Patrick at Crash Games of being "shady" is f'n blasphemy! This guy is THE most trustworthy, overly-committed, bend-over-backwards for fans guy in the business!!! I get your (very late) reaction as I wondered the same when YE was announced midway through the Yardmaster campaign. The company was pretty forward about announcing sooner rather and later to pre-empt exactly your criticism, stating what the products were, what they would do differently, who the designers were, and why both had merit. I'm happy to have multiple copies of both coming in October!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Reed
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm BullTaco and I approved this message.
badge
Mess with the Bull.....
mbmbmbmb
Well the games play totally different in the first place. They share some art....but I will not defend the game mechanisms, design etc...first I am not qualified to do so..

What I will defend is Patrick of Crash Games......I am pretty active here on BGG and have never EVER had anything that really ever "loaded" my trigger...until this post....

I mean this is a site about games....play games and have fun...that is what it as all about...in my eyes.....

Patrick is one of the best if not THE best publisher, person, friend I have ever had the pleasure of doing any business with. I just backed his games and have built a relationship with him...I have only met him once and that even more solidified his passion and care for his customers and his games..

You will not find ANY person/publisher/designer that is as passionate about gaming and wanting to fulfill his dream of being in the boardgame business.

This is his livelihood and how he provides for his family...he has to and needs to make money just as you do I assume in your job.

He is NOT shady, he is not "puling the wool" over anyone eyes...

I just felt I needed to stand up for one of the nicest/passionate/caring person I have ever met in the board gaming hobby world. He is the Best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You claim to know the designer of Yardmaster - I can't imagine him feeling very happy about this thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It costs $7-$9. Hardly worth getting miffed about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hann_Boe
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cvdellen wrote:
As a Kickstarter backer of this game, am I the only one a little miffed by the Express version? First of all, who needs an express version of a 20 minutes game!? Typically express versions strip down a meaty game and offer a bare bones experience with similar theme, mechanics, and feel for much less time. Second of all, who needs another card version of a card game!? It's like making the express version of Yahtzee with only 3 dice! Absurd! Third of all, it seems the publisher is lavishing much more attention on the Express version than the original. It is even listed as a re-implementation on the BGG game page. How can you market and sell a game, then repeat for the same game again!? Is Crash Games getting a better deal on the express version than the original?

Perhaps some more information on the how these two games are related and how they came to be might answer some of my questions. Full disclosure in that I know the designer of Yardmaster and I bought this game because I know him to design well thought-out and fun games and I wanted to support his efforts. But right now I am definitely feeling like Crash Games took his design and gave it the bare bones treatment to bring it to market before poaching it to run with their own project based on his hard work. I sincerely apologize if I am way off base here and please somebody educate me if that is the case.

xen911 wrote:
Yeah, it's just you.

Bare bones? haha Come on! Yardmaster is going to be awesome and has CRAZY bling for a small card game...and that was BEFORE the announced mini-expansion tied to Breaking Bad.

David was inspired by it and made a different came that happens to play faster and fits an even more popular niche right now of microgaming. I'm excited about both, but everyone's going to have their favorite. They're both sweet and different; what's not to like?

Finally, accusing Patrick at Crash Games of being "shady" is f'n blasphemy! This guy is THE most trustworthy, overly-committed, bend-over-backwards for fans guy in the business!!! I get your (very late) reaction as I wondered the same when YE was announced midway through the Yardmaster campaign. The company was pretty forward about announcing sooner rather and later to pre-empt exactly your criticism, stating what the products were, what they would do differently, who the designers were, and why both had merit. I'm happy to have multiple copies of both coming in October!

bulltaco wrote:
Well the games play totally different in the first place. They share some art....but I will not defend the game mechanisms, design etc...first I am not qualified to do so..

What I will defend is Patrick of Crash Games......I am pretty active here on BGG and have never EVER had anything that really ever "loaded" my trigger...until this post....

I mean this is a site about games....play games and have fun...that is what it as all about...in my eyes.....

Patrick is one of the best if not THE best publisher, person, friend I have ever had the pleasure of doing any business with. I just backed his games and have built a relationship with him...I have only met him once and that even more solidified his passion and care for his customers and his games..

You will not find ANY person/publisher/designer that is as passionate about gaming and wanting to fulfill his dream of being in the boardgame business.

This is his livelihood and how he provides for his family...he has to and needs to make money just as you do I assume in your job.

He is NOT shady, he is not "puling the wool" over anyone eyes...

I just felt I needed to stand up for one of the nicest/passionate/caring person I have ever met in the board gaming hobby world. He is the Best!

Yeah. I have to agree with Xenothon and Chuck here. Outside of the colors and names...the games at not alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like someone is trolling to troll.

If this is legitimate has the designer contacted Crash Games to discuss this? Was the original game set in a train yard or was it just a set of rules developed into a train card game by Crash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Chester,

You may not have read Update #20 to the Yardmaster KS campaign. Just before I read your post I read this update where Crash Games apologized for messed up PnP files. They offered all the PnP level backers 3 options: 1) wait until the files were fixed which could take a couple more weeks, 2) a full refund of their pledge, or 3) an upgrade to a hard copy of the game at the expense of Crash Games.

I've seen other publishers use KS to fund games with only one or two stretch goals or KS exclusives. As others have posted here, Crash Games offered several really neat stretch goals and KS exclusives for both Yardmaster and Yardmaster Express.

I backed both of these games, and I am glad I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
The heroes we deserve!
mbmbmbmbmb
To all,

I am not trying to troll and sincerely apologize for misunderstanding the situation. That was why my post had question marks. I appreciate everyone who clarified the situation for me and feel relieved that my faith in this hobby, industry, and community have not only answered my questions but resolved my mistrust of the whole situation.

Again, I apologize for any hurt my comments may have caused, especially to Crash Games. Thank you all for the thorough and civil response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good of you and I appreciate your desire to protect your respected friend. I expect Express can only lead to MORE sales of Yardmaster, so I think Steven should be good. I know it will be available as an add-on for Yardmaster Express KS buyers, and I suspect a lot of people will pick it up if they don't already have it coming. Express is just cheaper to manufacture, so it's easier to sell (in addition to hitting the micro trend); I think that's what you're seeing. Right now, at least from my perspective, it looks very positive for all involved.

cvdellen wrote:
To all,

I am not trying to troll and sincerely apologize for misunderstanding the situation. That was why my post had question marks. I appreciate everyone who clarified the situation for me and feel relieved that my faith in this hobby, industry, and community have not only answered my questions but resolved my mistrust of the whole situation.

Again, I apologize for any hurt my comments may have caused, especially to Crash Games. Thank you all for the thorough and civil response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is not fun! Yardmaster is actually a fun game. I just played Yardmaster express and I'm just left wondering what am I missing? Flux is actually closer to a game than Yardmaster express.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.