Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Dawkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey all,

So finally got a chance to try this game last night, but something bugged me when reading the rules regarding New Recruits.

Under the section in the rulebook that specifically mentions them, it says "When a card effect tells you to "gain a Recruit," put a New Recruit from the Recruit stack to your discard pile."

My question is, can you buy New Recruits normally (by paying 2 gold per), or can these only be gained by cards that gain them?

My extensive background in CCGs tells me with the way its worded there, we can only get them through cards that specifically gain them (a la cards from Kingpin/Loki/Enchantress), but they don't do a good job of elaborating. Nothing in the sections says you can't buy them normally, but I don't know why they would word it that way if you could buy them normally.

Any clarification here would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawkins965 wrote:

Hey all,

So finally got a chance to try this game last night, but something bugged me when reading the rules regarding New Recruits.

Under the section in the rulebook that specifically mentions them, it says "When a card effect tells you to "gain a Recruit," put a New Recruit from the Recruit stack to your discard pile."

My question is, can you buy New Recruits normally (by paying 2 gold per), or can these only be gained by cards that gain them?

My extensive background in CCGs tells me with the way its worded there, we can only get them through cards that specifically gain them (a la cards from Kingpin/Loki/Enchantress), but they don't do a good job of elaborating. Nothing in the sections says you can't buy them normally, but I don't know why they would word it that way if you could buy them normally.

Any clarification here would be great.

From the rulebook, my emphasis:

Villains rulebook p. 11 wrote:
You spend Recruit Points to recruit Allies from the
Lair, one at a time. The “Lair” area of the game
board has five spaces. Those five spaces always
contain exactly five Allies, all face up. You can
also recruit “Madame HYDRA” and “New Recruit”
Allies from the HYDRA and New Recruit Stacks on
the game board.

So you can buy them for 2, or you can gain them through other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dawkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok, thanks. Still think the wording on the New Recruits section is really sketchy but I guess it was clarified in a round-about way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
devin ott
msg tools
mbmb
Seemed pretty straight forward to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Myshhrall
msg tools
mbmbmb
They wouldn't have recruit costs if you couldn't recruit them normally. They wouldn't have their own spot on the board if you could only use them with specific cards like Kingpin or Cops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Euloque wrote:
They wouldn't have recruit costs if you couldn't recruit them normally.

Well, to be fair, SHIELD and HYDRA starters all have recruit costs but you can't recruit them...

Quote:
They wouldn't have their own spot on the board

...though they aren't anywhere on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
A note on the artwork for this card. The guy in the middle looks a LOT like our own Brenzor (I suspect steroids with those biceps).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dawkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euloque wrote:
They wouldn't have recruit costs if you couldn't recruit them normally. They wouldn't have their own spot on the board if you could only use them with specific cards like Kingpin or Cops.

Not true. Cost matters for cards like Spider-Man's (both versions) cards and rules like Demolish which target the cost of the cards.

As far as the spot on the board, not true either. Being on the board makes them easily accessible, whether or not you can buy them normally, and not left in your box or out of the game instead. Bindings for example are generally only cards you "gain" through cards that give them, but they and bystanders have their own spot on the board.

ottrod wrote:
Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

The wording they used (I quoted in original post), could have EASILY said "Whenever you buy or gain" or something to that effect instead of "When a card effect tells you to "gain a Recruit". If you think that's straightforward despite the obvious difference, then I can't help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
A note on the artwork for this card. The guy in the middle looks a LOT like our own Brenzor (I suspect steroids with those biceps).

Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.