Popular Tags: [View All]
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The random draw of trade house tiles after you choose the role always seemed really weak to me. Why? Thematically it makes no sense (you can't check the price of coffee until you get to market?) and as a game design choice I think it's a missed opportunity.

Place all five face up at the beginning of the game.

You can place them in a random order, ascending order, or descending order. All three work great and breathe a new element of tension and predicting your opponent's moves into the game.

Give it a try and let me know if you like it, too!

(Or just post that the game is perfect and there's no reason to change it, as you enjoy doing in every variant thread. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is perfect and there's no reason to change it

Seriously I would be fine with either, as I can see knowing the tile would influence you decisions when choosing your role.

I usually just tries to remember what the last tile was, and then plan from that.

In any case I always bank on the lowest outcome, and then being pleasantly surprised.

I've also player with players who kept the used trading tiles turned over, and once all 5 had been used, they were turned face down and shuffled again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
The game is perfect and there's no reason to change it

Seriously I would be fine with either, as I can see knowing the tile would influence you decisions when choosing your role.

I usually just tries to remember what the last tile was, and then plan from that.

In any case I always bank on the lowest outcome, and then being pleasantly surprised.

I've also player with players who kept the used trading tiles turned over, and once all 5 had been used, they were turned face down and shuffled again
Some claim it is a bit of drag if you play against players who can memorize the order, and thus, they would always know how much they're getting each time they trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
(Or just post that the game is perfect and there's no reason to change it, as you enjoy doing in every variant thread. )

The game was nearly perfect - and it is now!

Nice variant - I don't know how much difference it will make, but yes, why not have a bit of forward planning - good idea - I'm sure I'll use this next time I play - thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
I'm sure I'll use this next time I play - thanks.

My pleasure!

(If you thumb the thread more people might read it... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the threads I've read about SJ, the trade house tiles appear to get a large amount of attention due to the random set up per the rules. I may try this, but I personally like the random set up. I don't memorize the order, and the future market value is visible prior to round's end. So, there is planning involved in your role selection the following round(s) at least based on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.