Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: How Would You Run This Tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
---------ViSiT---------- ------------------------- DockingBay416.com -------------------------- ----------for some---------- -------------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like theme and one thing I dislike, but have gotten used to, is rebels vs rebels and imperials vs imperials match ups.

Lets say there was a tourney where you were forced to bring two lists, one imperial and one rebel so that all matches were empire vs rebellion.

What would you think of this system. Before the match starts both players roll 3 defense dice. The player with the most focus results gets to choose which of his lists to run.

If one player is higher ranked than the other, then the higher ranking player gets to roll an extra defense die (so 4 dice vs 3).

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as choosing sides . . . I was going to say just make it random but I guess mathematically it works out to the same thing.

If there was some way to make it each player got to use each list the same number of times. Or make it like netrunner and have them play each opponent with both lists haha.

As far as knowing what type of squads your squads will face . . . it'd be fun to prepare for. I'd give it a try.

Off the top of my head, I wonder if it makes swarms a lot better. And then maybe assault missiles a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a group in Europe that does this and they really enjoy it.

I want to run a tournament with no mirror matches and you bring 4 unique lists (2 of each). If Howlrunner is in one list she can't be in the other. You use each list once and then when we cut to the final you pick one list to stay with and mirror matches are okay.

Anyways some idea like that but yeah it definitely changes how you think about squad building having no mirror matches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was thinking about this but I hadn't gotten very far.

For starters, do the 1st round randomly matching opponents. For the 2nd round everyone switches factions, then randomize opponents such that no one plays the same person again.

Now rank everyone based on the 1st 2 games and then arrange opponents within ranks as best as possible, trying to avoid opponents who have played against each other. To determine factions, if either player has played one faction more than another then they should play the faction they've played the least number of times. If there is a conflict then the higher ranked player determines the faction. If both players have played the same number of times for each faction, then randomize as you have stated with dice.

I don't know how well this would work since I haven't really thought it all the way through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
we've done it in San Antonio where you play two rounds as one and two rounds as the other, with results being pretty successful. I enjoyed the events like this, the only problem is as organizer it makes match-ups a little harder.

also rotating each round is a fun way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
we are running a no mirror match tourney at our FLGS on Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From a purely fluff perspective rebel vs rebel & imperial vs imperial are easy to explain:

Imperial vs imperial wasn't too uncommon as the rebel alliance gained steam.Admirals did occasionally splinter & try to form their own empires. This became more common after the death of Vader & Palpatine & the loss of the executor & second death star. Plus there's the imperials who joined the republic.

Rebel vs rebel is as easy as mercenaries or pirates who choose to raid alliance supply lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
red_starrise wrote:
From a purely fluff perspective rebel vs rebel & imperial vs imperial are easy to explain:

Imperial vs imperial wasn't too uncommon as the rebel alliance gained steam.Admirals did occasionally splinter & try to form their own empires. This became more common after the death of Vader & Palpatine & the loss of the executor & second death star. Plus there's the imperials who joined the republic.

Rebel vs rebel is as easy as mercenaries or pirates who choose to raid alliance supply lines.

Or training missions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That thought did cross my mind, antihero. I just wasn't sure if the alliance would have the resources for such or if the empire even cared since their pilots are mostly conscripts & TIEs are cheaply mass produced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
red_starrise wrote:
That thought did cross my mind, antihero. I just wasn't sure if the alliance would have the resources for such or if the empire even cared since their pilots are mostly conscripts & TIEs are cheaply mass produced.

They might be in flight sims. But I think both sides did live action drill too. And at least in stories about fighter pilots (star wars or other wise) beating each other in training often inflates the ego as much as shooting down enemies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
---------ViSiT---------- ------------------------- DockingBay416.com -------------------------- ----------for some---------- -------------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
red_starrise wrote:

If I'm playing rebels, I don't want to be pirates lol!

Also, when Wedge shoots Wedge it gets a little silly. Or when there are 3 Falcons on the board and Han is fighting Lando and Chewie, it really gets silly . Double Falcons is bad enough, triple falcons is a facepalm.

Anyway, this thread isn't about why it's ok to have same faction matches, I'm hoping to get some great rules ideas thrown out there for the type of tournament described in the first post.... Stay on target....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.