Subject: Yay or nay with 2? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got finished watching both Lance and Rahdo's reviews after hearing the news that this won the Kinderspiele (Congrats to everyone involved, by the way!), and they both went out of their way to mention that there were some issues with the 2p version of this game. So far the game's page still says that it's recommended with two though, so maybe it's not a deal-breaker when it comes to buying this?

Either way, to those of you who have played this, are there any problems that have come up in your 2p games? I mean, aside from the inconvenience of using dummy players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it fine with 2. I have played it with 2-5, but most of my games have been with 2 and it seems no different really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my wife all the time. I believe Rahdo is wrong regarding balance issues. The only issue with two is that the game feels a little "loose" (too much space and not a whole lot of interaction between players, besides the actual race to the finish). However, we both enjoy it very much.

We also use a little variant that was suggested by the publisher (after encountering dummy merchant, player gets to decide where to put him, instead of rolling the dice). This adds a tiny bit of interaction, because you're trying figure out where your opponent wants to go next and drop the merchant there. This however adds a bit more downtime, so we're experimenting with reducing the number of dummy merchants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan H
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it's fine with 2, but do prefer it with more. With more players there's more gems and mosque tiles getting grabbed, the smuggler and governor are moving around more, the family members are more common and you have to be a bit more careful about your paths since another player might have similar plans in mind, so it's a much more dynamic game. That said it's just different with 2, there isn't as much moving around, but it's still a very fun and tight game. Regarding Rahdo's complaint about the Sultan's Palace, one game we played we didn't even grab any gems from the Sultan's Palace due to how the board was laid out, it really does change up how each game plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tompkins
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Just got finished watching both Lance and Rahdo's reviews after hearing the news that this won the Kinderspiele (Congrats to everyone involved, by the way!).
The game is great with two. This game won the Kennerspiel. Geister, Geister Schatzsuchmeister! won the Kinderspiel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I too think this game plays well with two.

Balance issue? Not seen any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maeddes maeddison
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
badge
Der Mensch wird am Du zum Ich. Buber
mbmbmbmbmb
definitely a Yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a counterpoint, Istanbul, for me, is a complete non-starter, as designed. I will try the 'smart' placement of the neutral merchants but IMO there are dozens of better 2p games out there and an award is not going to change that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All our games so far have been 2p, and we're enjoying it. After reading this thread, though, I'm really looking forward to trying a 4p game to see how different it will be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have only played it once with two, and it played just fine. We had no issues with it and actually loved it as much as the 4 player. I've played it once 2-player and twice 4-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful game with two players. Especially if you include the suggested "white player" variant, but even without it's great. Although if you're concerned, you can just pick up Louis XIV, which is essentially a much more strategic version of Istanbul that plays best with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Way Yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I really enjoy it with 2. I would vote yay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's "yea or nay". Unless you're being funny, in which case, good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tompkins
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a two player game and we tied in gems. My girlfriend ended beating me by one Lira on the tiebreaker seems balanced to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad8r wrote:
I believe Rahdo is wrong regarding balance issues.

Yup, as I point out in the thread I started on the 2p topic, I readily admit I could in fact be hugely wrong about the balance. We've played it several times now, and it's definitely been a recurring issue to us, but it seems we're WAAAAAY in the minority on this, so certainly take what I say with a grain of salt

As for the gameplay itself, it seems to work very well with 2p. Luck of the dummy players can really screw one player over the other, and the proposed variant of manually choosing where they go would address that, but I don't think we'd want to go that way, as it would make the game much more mean spirited...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giliar Perez
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, great game. Plays very well with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Im very surprised to see so many endorsements for 2 players. I found with 2 players each person set up their own efficiency route and just went about gathering rubies. There was no interaction and I felt the game played itself with only 2 players.

I won't play Istanbul with 2 anymore, as mentioned there are better 2p options. 4 players for me is the sweet spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
Im very surprised to see so many endorsements for 2 players. I found with 2 players each person set up their own efficiency route and just went about gathering rubies. There was no interaction and I felt the game played itself with only 2 players.

I won't play Istanbul with 2 anymore, as mentioned there are better 2p options. 4 players for me is the sweet spot.

Did you use the dummy player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.