4 Posts

Zpocalypse» Forums » General

Subject: Considering buying this but rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Goldfinger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering buying this but am wondering why the score is a little on the low side. I have read the rules and the game seems like it could be very fun. Is there something I am missing? Is the lower score because the game is too hard to beat or last long before death? By the way I love games with minis and also have zombicide but this game seems like a different flavor of zombie game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
I owned this game for the duration of .. half a game. Then sold it back out.

We had a hard time enjoying it because the rules were so difficult to implement in the game, things were unclear and it was a burden.
Also it didn't take long before we totally ran out of zombies and there seemed to be nothing we could do about that.

So obviously, I would advise against buying this game, it's too fiddly and seemed even "unfinished" at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rules have been re written by Universal Head.

The game is fun and challenging and a different take on most Zombie games.

There are 4 phases to the game and the first 3 abstract Scavenging, Fortyfying and Feeding / Reorganising. The fourth phase is the more traditional fight zombies.

Phase 4 is not as detailed as most Zombie combat but then again this game is more than just fight, search and flee. As such it works. It is challenging, fun, funny and frustrating. It does have a narrative flowing through it.

It does have some Combat onlly Scenarios and Phase 4 only expansions Zmergency and Aftermath Alpha and Beta, which do provide a more traditional Zombie game experience.

****WARNING***** Zombie Master in my experience is totally unbalanced and probably should not even be considered unless you have already mastered the base game and probably have the Aftermath expansion(s). Having said that playing as a Zombie is fun and I am sure it ca be balanced down. The new zombies scale and can easily be introduced into the main game.

The game is good as it stands but IMO Greenbrier missed the opportunity to develop it further.

The Combat Phase / combat Phase only Scenarios (DAY Zero/ZMERGENCY/AFTERMATH) could do with tweaking ;-

A Noise mechanism
Zombie spawning
New Survivor Generation (For Phase 4 only Games, it works in the full game)
Campaign System mixing the Full game interspersed with Fight only scenarios.
Scenarios based on pre set up Maps.

Unfortunately Greenbrier talked the talk about supporting this game and only addressed the rule book and a couple of rules. That was great and makes the game easy to learn but didnt develop it.

As a game it is better than most Zombie games but it is not in competition with them. It has more depth and game play.

In summary a gem of a game and if it had ben buffed up it could have been polished and cut into a true diamond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
True on all accounts for the most part.

Zpocalypse was our first boardgame. Somethings worked, some didn't.

As boardgame project development is still on going for future expansions to address some of the things you mentioned which are lacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.