Dr. DJ FancyLove
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we ran into a situation this weekend when encountering monsters that seemed to be a bit game breaking.

As a bit of background, I won't go into extreme specifics, we had 2 melee characters, the healer, the rogue, and a sorcerer.

What we found game breaking seemed to be when the monsters appeared for, say the Sorcerer. So the melee characters had the great sword and a short sword, and the healer had a mace. What is to stop us from telling the Sorcerer to perform a strength combat check and the rest of us revealing our weapons to stack on the check?

Are we playing this correctly? It just seems to me no matter who encountered the monster we would all just reveal our weapons and it was the same fight over and over.

I know this is vague, I can get into the real specifics if more clarification is needed. I'm trying to type this from my phone at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the character attempting a check can play a card that determines the die for the check. Anything that tells you what skill die to roll is such a card. Notice the wording: "For YOUR combat check". Other characters may only play cards or powers that affect the check. The distinction between "a check" and "your check" is a very important one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. DJ FancyLove
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. So what's stopping the sorcerer from not playing a card and attempting a strength combat check and everyone else playing weapons that modify a strength combat check?

Edit: got it. I just figured out you were talking about the weapon cards. They have the YOUR distinction you're talking about. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DusterTIB wrote:
Yeah. So what's stopping the sorcerer from not playing a card and attempting a strength combat check and everyone else playing weapons that modify a strength combat check?
There are some weapons that have abilities that can affect another character's check. There are also abilities that can do the same.

Just read the cards. The only thing stopping the general use of playing weapons on another character's turn is as csouth mentioned. You cannot use a weapon ability that says "For your combat chat" when you're not the one making the combat check. Any other abilities that that card has may still be usable as long as it can apply to another character's combat check.

If one is using those certain weapons' abilities or certain characters' abilities, then it's perfectly fine. Most of those abilities require discarding or recharging though, which removes the card from that player's hand, and that means that card is not in the player's hand during his/her turn to be useful for himself/herself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DusterTIB wrote:

Edit: got it. I just figured out you were talking about the weapon cards. They have the YOUR distinction you're talking about. Thanks!

Right. The distinction between cards or powers that determine the die for the check and cards or powers that simply affect the check is an important one, too. Only one card or power that determines the die may be played on a check, and it must be played before cards and powers that affect the check.

Also, the card that determines the die, if one is played, is the only one that automatically adds all of its traits to the check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.