The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Too many location cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Faupel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I've had the game less than a week now and have only played solo so far. I've already had it happen twice where I get too many location cards in a row. The first time I got 3 location cards in the staging area and the second time I had 5 location cards in the staging area both time with a location card already out of staging area below quest cards. Both times this ended up increasing my threat way too fast and losing the game. How common is this? I'm actually considering using an encounter deck with less location cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ferrete
Switzerland
Aarau
Aargau
flag msg tools
This was a problem when I first played the game. I also played solo at first and was getting quite frustrated with losing due to threat because of too many locations enemies in the staging area.

I've read that when playing solo that it's better to play with two decks (ie. controlling two hands.) I haven't tried this yet because I always felt it would be a bit overwhelming/ confusing keeping track of everything that I can do as well as all the effects going on.

The game got better for me when I decided to show it to someone else and play it cooperatively. Many of the effects like Ranged and Sentinel go to waste when playing solo (the cost of a card is usually higher with such effects.)

Another point is that the first scenario, Passage Through Mirkwood, is very location heavy compared to the other two. If you feel that you don't like it so much you can go on to the next but the second one is quite a bit more difficult than the first.

I would recommend either trying with a second hand or playing with someone else because that eliminates the problem you mentioned to a certain degree. I hope you have fun with the game. There's much more to it than that scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is very common if you are using the Tactics (red) deck. Try the Spirit (blue) deck. You will have a very different experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schock
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigdave53 wrote:
I've had the game less than a week now and have only played solo so far. I've already had it happen twice where I get too many location cards in a row. The first time I got 3 location cards in the staging area and the second time I had 5 location cards in the staging area both time with a location card already out of staging area below quest cards. Both times this ended up increasing my threat way too fast and losing the game. How common is this? I'm actually considering using an encounter deck with less location cards.

Depends on what type of sphere you're running. If you use Spirit, with Northern Tracker, locations are much less of a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mongol wrote:
bigdave53 wrote:

Depends on what type of sphere you're running. If you use Spirit, with Northern Tracker, locations are much less of a problem.

That was my first thought as well. He's probably playing a mono-sphere tactics deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here.

Whenever I become frustrated with this game (which happened a lot early on) I step back and take a deeper look at the cards in my decks, try to see if I can re-build or even just tweak them to account for the issues that are causing the frustration. My first thought while reading your post was "Northern Tracker is your best friend" but that was a lesson learned after dealing with a similar frustration.

Experiment a little and have fun with it! As suggested, try different or multi-sphere decks. Take a good look at all the cards available to you. A large part of this game's appeal (for me anyway) is the constant tinkering of the decks..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wohlganger
United States
Valley City
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have built several different decks, which each vary in scale between combat heavy, quest heavy, and starting strong with high threat or starting weak with low threat. Usually I can find a single deck to beat an encounter, but sometimes there is a real need to mix two.

The whole point of this is really to show that no one deck beats everything. Pick or build a deck to beat the encounter - in your case it seems you need more quest power and location hate. From what I can remember starting out, playing two fisted with mono spirit and mono tactics seemed to work best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
The OP didn't say what quests or decks he was using. But I can say for a fact that both the first 2 scenarios can be beaten by a single core Leadership deck, or with 40 card dual-sphere decks.

I guess the next step is to try other mono decks and the other 2-sphere combos, get a feel for what works.

These seem like satisfying but achievable goals for new players, to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Northern Tracker is the answer in here. 3 of them to the deck. If you are playing with a friend, then 3 of them in both decks and you don't have to worry about locations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Glorfindel (Spirit) + Asfaloth + Spirit questing allies = GG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hannibal_pjv wrote:
Northern Tracker is the answer in here. 3 of them to the deck. If you are playing with a friend, then 3 of them in both decks and you don't have to worry about locations!

Good suggestion, except you only get 2 in the core set, and it seems likely the OP only has the core set at this stage.

For a much lower cost they could use 3x Snowbourn scouts if using Leadership. Spirit also has some nice cards for location control, though I don't recall their names offhand.

In fact the only sphere that has none is tactics, which we suspect is what the OP was using?

xBino wrote:
Glorfindel (Spirit) + Asfaloth + Spirit questing allies = GG!

Ditto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.