Hide
3 Posts

A Duel Betwixt Us» Forums » Rules

Subject: can I initiate a duel with armor or shield and no weapon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pl Gamer
msg tools
Armor is an Item and the initiation of a duel states that one must have an item to initiate a duel: allowing me to play tricks for damage.

Is this allowable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Arnold
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am by no means an authority on the rules, it is my impression that you may start the duel phase with ANY completed item. So, by my understanding it goes something like this:

1) Declare your duel and check that you have ANY item completed.
2) Draw a new duel card (if there are less than three out).
3) State which duel you wish to initiate. OR Back out if there are no satisfactory duels in which you wish to participate. (This seems to be to allow for the chance to draw a duel that you do actually have the weapon needed to participate.)
4) Declare which items you are bringing.
5) ... *Continue per the rules listed in the book*

I'm not sure if this is the best interpretation, but it's the one my wife and I use. It works quite well for us.

-Dale-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LauRob Studios
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello Pl Gamer!

Yes, you could theoretically initiate a duel with a defensive item (provided that the rules of the duel allow it, and the item wasn't played from your hand the same turn of the duel declaration).

But of course, in the absence of any offensive tricks, the armour itself wouldn't do any damage -- so a person with a shield vs. a person with nothing at all still wouldn't win the duel unless there were offensive tricks - it would be a draw.

thank you for your support!
Laurence (of Laurob)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.