Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Pocket Ice Hockey - Quick play rules –– 3 periods – 5mins each

Note - final game will have custom colour coded dice with words engraved...so the table and D6 is just for playtesting

Winning a FACE OFF – A Face Off occurs when the symbol FO appears. Both players roll a D6 – highest roll wins the Face Off. Start of play begins with a Face Off in the Centre (C) position.

The player winning the puck, will then start by rolling the Centre (C ) die, and follow the actions on the die roll.

Positions and passing of the puck will be shown by an action word on each die, and a letter next to it to represent where/which position the puck will move to. You’ll then roll the corresponding die and follow the next action and so on. The letter ‘T’ represents a turnover, the puck is lost to your opponent and they will take possession and continue play.

Turnovers will be in the same place. Lost puck on the Wing, your opponent will start attacking from the Wing. However, if you lose the puck on your Defensive line, your opponent’s Forward will be swooping on it and starting from there.

The FOUR main positions for the attacking (in possession of the puck) team:

Defense (D) ‘Dumped T’ sends the puck down to the other end of the ice to your opponents (D)
Centre (C)
Wing (W)
Forward (F)
Shot (S) The (C)(W)(F) all have chances to shoot on goal

The TWO main positions for the defending team:
Enforcer
Goalie

The neutral die
Referee (Whistle)

Most of the time, your players will be PASSING between positions on the ice until they get a shot (S) on goal. A shot will either result in a 1/6 GOAL, a turnover, a Face Off or 3/6 On Target. If it’s on target….your opponent will roll the GOALIE die and see the result.

A Rebound will mean a reroll of the SHOT (S) die. The Video Ref will mean a reroll of the GOALIE die.

A Face Off in the Defensive area will be between the player in possession of the puck’s (D) against the observing opponent’s Forward

Example – I roll the (D) and it’s a Face Off – so we’ll both take a turn rolling the D6 to see who has the high roll to win the Face Off. If I win, I retain possession with my (D) – if my opponent wins, he’ll take possession with his (F)

The Enforcer – on each of your 4 positions (D)(C)(W)(F) there is a ‘Deke’ maneuver. The player is moving the puck along the ice and is open to be checked by your opponent’s Enforcer.

The Enforcer’s die has 2 faces that successfully turnover (T) the puck, 1 face that injures the attacker, 1 face that calls on the referee and his WHISTLE and another 2 faces that have no result and the attacker skates past and plays on in the same position.

Player injuries (are a good and bad thing!)
If your player is injured, it means he loses his SHOT (S) ability until the end of the period* This die face will become an immediate [T] turnover also shown on the die face, until the end of the period.

WHISTLE
As the Enforcer, you run the risk of being sent off the ice until the end of the period* You’ll no longer be able to check players when the ‘Deke’ until the next period.

Elbow / Roughing / Cross check – all result in being sent from the ice for the rest of the period.
Charging FO results in a Face Off in the area where the infringement happened....the defensive zone near that net.

**FIGHTING – yes – this is an option.
Fighting is resolved roll by roll. The Enforcer that started the Fight will punch first. Take turns rolling the Enforcer die – any ‘X’ rolled is a landed punch. First player to land 3 punches wins the fight.

No players are sent off the ice after a Fight, however….two things happen:
-The team that lost the fight will lose ‘morale’ and a -1 will be applied to all Face Off rolls for the remainder of the game.
-Both teams cannot use the Enforcer for the remainder of the period*

You can try to FIGHT again later to even up your morale....but you may suffer another beat down and an additional -1 to your Face Off ability.

PENALTY SHOT – all faces become GOAL except for the two SAVE faces

That's it in a nutshell....as I'm not entirely up to speed with Ice Hockey terminology.....any feedback would be great!! So put on your skates and tooks and get rolling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds too violent to be hockey ... and hockey only has 3 periods ... not 4. Suggest you change the name to "pocket rugby" and maybe you've got a game laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
jasss333 wrote:
Sounds too violent to be hockey ... and hockey only has 3 periods ... not 4. Suggest you change the name to "pocket rugby" and maybe you've got a game laugh

Already done that

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/161139/pocket-rugby-leagu...

Thanks for the 3 period tip - I'll edit above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew NA
msg tools
Overall, not bad. My biggest problem when thinking about it is I don't see where the strategy comes in. It seems like there are not enough decisions, and I think that will bother people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
drew_d2 wrote:
Overall, not bad. My biggest problem when thinking about it is I don't see where the strategy comes in. It seems like there are not enough decisions, and I think that will bother people.

Thx for your comments Drew. Our range of games are light fillers...and yes, they are dice rolling with luck results.They aren't strategy games and we don't intend them to be.

All of our games try to capture the theme and flavour of the sport, condense it down with familiar terms and action so fans of the sport will connect with to play out...a mini simulation of sorts.

I've often said, they work for casual gamers that enjoy a beer in one hand, dice in the other

We've tried to pack in as much action that may happen in a real game to be played out in 15mins.

There's a bunch of reviews on our previous games by Ender Wiggins that do a good job of discussing the luck element and how fans of our games or the sport will get past that due to the thematic flow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew NA
msg tools
Hamigua wrote:
drew_d2 wrote:

Thx for your comments Drew. Our range of games are light fillers...and yes, they are dice rolling with luck results.They aren't strategy games and we don't intend them to be.

All of our games try to capture the theme and flavour of the sport, condense it down with familiar terms and action so fans of the sport will connect with to play out...a mini simulation of sorts.

I've often said, they work for casual gamers that enjoy a beer in one hand, dice in the other

We've tried to pack in as much action that may happen in a real game to be played out in 15mins.

There's a bunch of reviews on our previous games by Ender Wiggins that do a good job of discussing the luck element and how fans of our games or the sport will get past that due to the thematic flow!

Oh, I see. I didn't realize you already had a market for it. Well then, forget what I said! lol Overall, I think your terms fit the hockey theme well. It sounds like a hockey game and when I imagine it in my head it seems like it would feel like a hockey game. I specifically love how you incorporated the rebound. The only thing I can really come up with is the Video Ref term. What is the Video Ref supposed to simulate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
drew_d2 wrote:
Hamigua wrote:
drew_d2 wrote:

Oh, I see. I didn't realize you already had a market for it. Well then, forget what I said! lol Overall, I think your terms fit the hockey theme well. It sounds like a hockey game and when I imagine it in my head it seems like it would feel like a hockey game. I specifically love how you incorporated the rebound. The only thing I can really come up with is the Video Ref term. What is the Video Ref supposed to simulate?

Goal line technology - to see if the puck crossed the line.

For the game itself it adds tension.....not a goal, but not not a goal
Reroll again for the dramatic result!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
MicroStack Games wrote:
Could you incorporate a grid/hex board to represent the ice surface? Good idea and good luck on your design!

Nice idea...our Pocket Sports games are compact and component light. In fact, you only get dice and instructions......because that's all you need.

The game takes place (visually) in your head. Players commentate the game as it happens.....it naturally comes out after people get comfortable with the game play and forms the narrative that makes our games fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew NA
msg tools
I thought that's what it might be. I would prefer the term "Video Replay". Another thing you could call it is "hitting the crossbar". If the goalie rolls a Save after the puck hits the crossbar the puck deflects out and if the goalie rolls a Goal after the puck hits the crossbar the puck deflects in the net. Just an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Good idea Drew - thanks - might add to the tension!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
drew_d2 wrote:
I think your terms fit the hockey theme well. It sounds like a hockey game and when I imagine it in my head it seems like it would feel like a hockey game.

I'm not sure you've seen many hockey games in the last couple of years. An enforcer is typically the name given to a player that fights with an opponents enforcer if there has been a rather egregious foul on one of the elite scoring type players of a team. This might happen once in a game or two. Pretty much everything is called nowadays in the NHL. Touch a players stick or shoulder with your hand and you are sent off the ice. Enforcers are almost non-existent and a dying breed.

Rather than injuries and fighting penalties, most penalties are for delay of game, holding and tripping. Its a new world when it comes to hockey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
jasss333 wrote:
drew_d2 wrote:
I think your terms fit the hockey theme well. It sounds like a hockey game and when I imagine it in my head it seems like it would feel like a hockey game.

I'm not sure you've seen many hockey games in the last couple of years. An enforcer is typically the name given to a player that fights with an opponents enforcer if there has been a rather egregious foul on one of the elite scoring type players of a team. This might happen once in a game or two. Pretty much everything is called nowadays in the NHL. Touch a players stick or shoulder with your hand and you are sent off the ice. Enforcers are almost non-existent and a dying breed.

Rather than injuries and fighting penalties, most penalties are for delay of game, holding and tripping. Its a new world when it comes to hockey.

Trying to keep a genuine hockey flavour.....I'm assuming that most fans that would play this, would like to see these terms in the game. The few Canadian colleagues I has all suggested the term "Jersey'd"

Again, with our games, it' the thematic terms that capture the gameplay and make this a fun and entertaining light filler....that's the mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in the subject, as I'm working on a hockey game myself. As far as I can tell from the rules you've presented, there aren't any actual decisions in the game (except possibly whether your Enforcer starts a fight or not) -- you just roll your die, do what it tells you, and repeat until you either score or lose the puck to a turnover; should you lose the puck, you get to sit there, watching your friend roll the dice. To be blunt, this sounds like a boring way to spend 15 minutes; it's basically the equivalent of Candy Land, unless I'm missing something.

I know that you've said that it's supposed to be light, but I still think a light game has to feature at least some decisions, or else it's really more of an activity. And the length (15 minutes is longer than you think for a game of this scope) combined with the high number of rules will probably put off even casual gamers. I think that you'd do better to inject a few decision points, get the length down, and reduce significantly the number of rules.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
jwarrend wrote:
I'm interested in the subject, as I'm working on a hockey game myself. As far as I can tell from the rules you've presented, there aren't any actual decisions in the game (except possibly whether your Enforcer starts a fight or not) -- you just roll your die, do what it tells you, and repeat until you either score or lose the puck to a turnover; should you lose the puck, you get to sit there, watching your friend roll the dice. To be blunt, this sounds like a boring way to spend 15 minutes; it's basically the equivalent of Candy Land, unless I'm missing something.

I know that you've said that it's supposed to be light, but I still think a light game has to feature at least some decisions, or else it's really more of an activity. And the length (15 minutes is longer than you think for a game of this scope) combined with the high number of rules will probably put off even casual gamers. I think that you'd do better to inject a few decision points, get the length down, and reduce significantly the number of rules.

Good luck!

Thanks for your comments and good luck with your hockey game too. I'd love to see your beta version when it's ready!

Do you mind if I ask, did you actually play a game? I've found, often is the case with our games, people first see the lack of decision making but when they actually play the game, the thematic feel and fun factor change their opinion.

I'd love to know if your opinion changes after playing a game or two with an opponent.

Thanks again for your valuable input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.