Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen Con 2014 is just weeks away so it's time for me to cut/paste from prior math trades and set up the new math trade for Gen Con 2014.

Request GeekList: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/176154/gen-con-2014-no-shi...

Trade GeekList: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/176153/gen-con-2014-non-sh...

If you are participating in this math trade use of the OLWLG (Online Want List Generator) is mandatory for creating your want list(s) (please remember to tip JeffyJeff some GG for his support).

If you have never used the OLWLG before, please read this: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

And if you're still unsure, feel free to ask questions in the discussion thread. It's not hard... really... the core idea is that you post stuff you are willing to trade and then choose things others have listed that you'd be willing to trade each of your items for. You'll only ever give something away if you also receive something in exchange for it that you chose! And if there's nothing you want for a given title you don't have to trade it.

Key dates and times

Open for posting games: Now through Sunday, July 27th, 2014, 11pm Eastern time.

Want list submission period: Sunday, July 27th, 2014 (shortly after submission closes) to Sunday, August 3rd, 2014, 11pm Eastern time.

Results will be posted shortly thereafter.

This event is open to anyone who wants to participate, but please note that this is a no ship event. We will be meeting up on Saturday, August 16th at 10am (AND THIS IS DIFFERENT) outside of Hall A on the side with Room 128 near the entrance to exchange games and you'll either need to be in attendance, have someone proxy (drop off and pick up) for you at the meet-up, or make your own arrangements to give/get your trade items. Please note that this is a new location for the trade. After two years of trying to coordinate being inside of the facility with an official location only to have to deal with lots of noise and our mob being pushed back by the Gen Con staff coupled with this empty hallway I'm taking a risk and trying to see if it moves here. Origins always works great in the empty entryway area. If things change I'll send a geekmail.

(If you need more detail on where this is then check out the maps of the convention center available at...

http://www.icclos.com/floor-plans.aspx

Then click on Level 1 and Hall A is close to the top left of the map (note that the main entry with the car drop off area is the upper right).

OK - some simple rules - please take a few seconds to realize that you are responsible for abiding by these rules if participating whether you read them or not:

* Please do not delete items or sweeteners once you have listed them. You can always submit a blank want list for an entry if you've traded it away before the deadline. If you do it can mess things up with the OLWLG.

* Errors made by you will NOT invalidate the results. You will be expected to honor your trades even if you made a mistake, so please carefully review your wants list(s) before submitting them. You can always make changes BEFORE the end of the submission period but NOT after it.

* This is a no ship event. All exchanges are to be made at the location specified about AT THE TIME SPECIFIED ABOVE. For those of you that like to show up 45 minutes late to a horde of angry but grateful you actually showed up people please BE ON TIME. That's 10 a.m. Indianapolis time! If you cannot attend in person, you can still participate but you must find someone who is willing to act as your proxy at the convention (taking your games there for you and picking up your new games). If you are unable to get your games to the Con for whatever reason after participating then this becomes a ship trade for you and it will be your responsibility to pay postage costs for both shipping your games and for others to ship games to you, but PLEASE don't let it come to that. It never has before.

* Gift Certificates and Geekgold (GG) are allowed in this math trade, but arbitrage of these is not (trading a lower cash value item for a higher cash value item). DVDs, RPGs, computer games and other relevant items of interest are all permitted, but be reasonable. If you list items nobody is interested in then you're wasting your time and everyone else's time.

* Non-game entries must be added as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (game id 23953), Miscellaneous Game Merchandise (game id 22104) or "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" (game id 5985). Please also note the use of the "alt name" tag that the OLWLG supports in order to properly view your items over there.

* If you are offering an expansion for which there is no entry in BGG (for instance expansion cards handed out at Essen) and NOT the base game, please use "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" to help avoid confusion.

* You are expected to describe, as accurately as is reasonably possible, the condition (components and box) and edition of your item in the description. If your item is not the English version or a multilingual version that includes English rules then the supported languages MUST be disclosed in the description (copies/printouts of English rules are fine, but it must be disclosed that the game was not originally English from the manufacturer). This includes sweeteners.

* For games not brand new (in shrink) you must inventory the game's components and list anything missing. Do not assume it is complete solely because the person giving it to you told you it was. If a game is found to be missing pieces then it will be the giver's responsibility to rectify that. Also, remember that just because something is "new in shrink" doesn't mean that you shouldn't disclose any dings and dents. It might not matter to you, but it matters to some people.

* You are expected to periodically check during the item submission period, and preferably during the want list submission period, to see if anyone has commented on your entries. People often ask questions of items - most commonly because you have forgotten to state a version, language or shipping policy - and you should check in to address such questions in a timely manner should they arise, so that everyone then has the correct information available. This is a very easy thing to do. Just click on "My Geek", then "Contributions" and finally on "GeekList Items". You will then be able to see your items without having to find them in the trade GeekList along with any comments that people have made. You will only need to go back to the trade GeekList to make adjustments or answer questions if there were any.

* Let's TRY to arrange ourselves alphabetically by BGG ID starting with A's closest to the door and Z's furthest down the hallway. I tried this last year, and it kinda worked and then lots of people kinda didn't do it and it because even more difficult with the limited table space. ALSO if you only have a few trades PLEASE try and knock those out OUTSIDE of the 10 a.m. meetup and likewise if you're trading with someone with 3 or fewer trades please try to accommodate. The less people we have = the less fuss. This is becoming a BIG trade.

Other useful information

OWLG Metric Used: USER-TRADING Seed=12345 Iterations=100

Want list submission

You can start creating your want lists any time after the start of the event.

Please note that it's best to work on your want lists and submit them early - you can always make changes and resubmit later. This will prevent you from being left out if you forget the deadline.

Submissions may be made at any time after the listing period has ended. If you will be unavailable during the want list submission period but still wish to participate, contact me directly and we can discuss the possibility of you submitting early.

Remember that you may have saved your want lists, but they have NOT been submitted until you press the green button in step 4 and received a confirming Geekmail.

You are not obliged to trade anything you put up for offer. If you offer a game, but see nothing that you are willing to accept for it in trade, you can submit a blank want list for it, or not submit one at all. If, however, you do submit a want list for a game, then it is expected that you will honor any trade that the TradeMaximizer comes up with. You will not receive anything you did not list as acceptable for the game(s) you have offered, so it is important to check your want lists when they are posted publicly (see above dates), to correct any errors.

Please note: Sometimes real life intrudes on us unexpectedly. If I'm an hour late posting something, please bear with me. Running one of these can be a fair bit of work, and running it without the OLWLG is twice as much work.

So enter lots of items and have fun!
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!!!! I have been waiting for this one!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 241 items in the first 12 hours apparently you weren't the only one. Glad to see this taking off so quickly... hopefully we can keep that up for 2 weeks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the trade. This will be huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt West
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
How I desire the touch of Nothingness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First time participating. Should we focus on big items like full games, or would promos and such be acceptable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WestMatt wrote:
First time participating. Should we focus on big items like full games, or would promos and such be acceptable?

Pretty much anything is acceptable. There is no shipping charge so even small items have a chance of being traded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WestMatt wrote:

As was already answered correctly by William, but yes... ANYTHING regardless of size/value is acceptable (just try to stay relevant with things you think there's a chance someone would want... I personally like video games, but stick to stuff geeks will like as this is BGG). As an example, in the Origins Math Trade this year I traded away 4 promos and got 4 promos so promos are good and people like them... just don't expect to snag a $100 item with a $5 promo unless you get real lucky :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
adreeve wrote:
WestMatt wrote:

As was already answered correctly by William, but yes... ANYTHING regardless of size/value is acceptable (just try to stay relevant with things you think there's a chance someone would want... I personally like video games, but stick to stuff geeks will like as this is BGG). As an example, in the Origins Math Trade this year I traded away 4 promos and got 4 promos so promos are good and people like them... just don't expect to snag a $100 item with a $5 promo unless you get real lucky :-)

Like my trade at Origins where I gave the guy 7-Card Slugfest and got the designer's edition of Ogre in return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:
adreeve wrote:
WestMatt wrote:

Like my trade at Origins where I gave the guy 7-Card Slugfest and got the designer's edition of Ogre in return.

Before people salivate too much it looks like it was Rolling Freight that got traded for Ogre, but still a nice trade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
adreeve wrote:
Kengi wrote:
adreeve wrote:
WestMatt wrote:

Before people salivate too much it looks like it was Rolling Freight that got traded for Ogre, but still a nice trade

It was. But the physical exchange was as I described it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Why play 'em when you can trade 'em?!?!
badge
And on the 8th day, God said "Let there be Math Trades"
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:
adreeve wrote:
Kengi wrote:
adreeve wrote:
WestMatt wrote:

It was. But the physical exchange was as I described it.

Lol, based on this rational the bank once gave me a house in exchange for my autograph!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otto von Whackjob
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question and I know this has probably been asked a million times before. Is it cool to ask for Paypal or cash instead of a gift card through a math trade? I kind of just want to get some of the new releases at GenCon through cash raised from the GenCon math trade. Totally cool with paying BGG if it comes to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Otto von Whackjob wrote:
Quick question and I know this has probably been asked a million times before. Is it cool to ask for Paypal or cash instead of a gift card through a math trade? I kind of just want to get some of the new releases at GenCon through cash raised from the GenCon math trade. Totally cool with paying BGG if it comes to that.

We can't offer cash, some law or just BGG covering themselves. Lots of threads about it if you search. Now if you the the other side work something out on your own...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otto von Whackjob
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome and thanks! I was on a phone while searching so it was less than effective.

BentlyCash wrote:
Otto von Whackjob wrote:

We can't offer cash, some law or just BGG covering themselves. Lots of threads about it if you search. Now if you the the other side work something out on your own...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Me
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some advice/clarification to ask for.

This is my first math trade and I am very excited! I have three World of Warcraft TCG Loot cards that I want to offer in the trade. Should I put these under the WoW TCG game, WoW the computer game, or one of the miscellaneous game categories? I want to put them in the category that makes the most sense to a potential interested party.

The three loot cards are not listed on BGG as individual promos.

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cptnemo wrote:
I have some advice/clarification to ask for.

This is my first math trade and I am very excited! I have three World of Warcraft TCG Loot cards that I want to offer in the trade. Should I put these under the WoW TCG game, WoW the computer game, or one of the miscellaneous game categories? I want to put them in the category that makes the most sense to a potential interested party.

The three loot cards are not listed on BGG as individual promos.

Thanks for your help!

Either "Misc game accessory", or "outside the scope of BGG".

Then add an altname tag, such as "+altname+ 3 WoW loot cards -altname-"

This tag allows whatever you put in the middle of it to be displayed as the name in the OLWLG.

If you add them under another listing, and someone adds that item, without reading the description, there will be issues.

Hope this helps, good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a potential conflict with the 10am trade time on Saturday.

Quote:
you'll either need to be in attendance, have someone proxy (drop off and pick up) for you at the meet-up, or make your own arrangements to give/get your trade items

So, if I can't be there myself and I don't have someone who can proxy for me, what are my options if I want to participate? When it says make my own arrangements, is it acceptable to schedule drop off and pick up with the individuals on different days of the con?
Would this cause problems for others? I want be a considerate math trader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kamekkusu wrote:

Quote:
you'll either need to be in attendance, have someone proxy (drop off and pick up) for you at the meet-up, or make your own arrangements to give/get your trade items

So, if I can't be there myself and I don't have someone who can proxy for me, what are my options if I want to participate? When it says make my own arrangements, is it acceptable to schedule drop off and pick up with the individuals on different days of the con?

This could cause significant problems with any trades you would have. In the end, you would maybe have to pay for shipping both ways.

Now that being said, I have been able to get certain items traded in years past outside the window of time. However, some of my trading partners have insisted on meeting at the intended time. I understand totally why they did it. Some of them had two or three boxes of games that they were trading.

You really need to be available for the trade time slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raynovich wrote:
kamekkusu wrote:

Quote:

This could cause significant problems with any trades you would have. In the end, you would maybe have to pay for shipping both ways.

Now that being said, I have been able to get certain items traded in years past outside the window of time. However, some of my trading partners have insisted on meeting at the intended time. I understand totally why they did it. Some of them had two or three boxes of games that they were trading.

I have participated in the past two Gen Con trades and have completed all trades outside the set meetup. HOWEVER, I was lucky and took on the responsibility myself by meeting when and where was convenient for the other person. It all worked out, but it's not ideal and takes up a lot of extra time, even for just a couple trades since plans are always changing and communication can be challenging. If you cant make the meetup, put a disclaimer on al of your items and still hope that everybody involved in the trades you get are accommodating. Otherwise, be prepared to pay the shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I set up a virtual flea market if anyone can't participate in the MT, or wants to sell their leftovers. It's here: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/176254/gencon-virtual-flea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shigadeyo wrote:
raynovich wrote:
kamekkusu wrote:

Quote:

I have participated in the past two Gen Con trades and have completed all trades outside the set meetup. HOWEVER, I was lucky and took on the responsibility myself by meeting when and where was convenient for the other person. It all worked out, but it's not ideal and takes up a lot of extra time, even for just a couple trades since plans are always changing and communication can be challenging. If you cant make the meetup, put a disclaimer on al of your items and still hope that everybody involved in the trades you get are accommodating. Otherwise, be prepared to pay the shipping.

I'll also note that in the trade rules I talk about those having 3 or fewer trades making an effort to NOT be at the 10 a.m. meetup and request those trading with such people please try to accommodate meeting outside of the trade time.

That said... ANYONE is welcome to do that, but nobody is forced to do that. The trade time is the 'guaranteed' time that people should be available.

If you can't then, as was indicated above, put a disclaimer stating when you'll be available to execute your trades AND take on the responsibility of chasing people down / doing the leg work (i.e. don't say you'll be in your hotel room from 10pm to 11pm for drop offs/pick ups).

With over a hundred people participating in these in recent years there's always someone with an event scheduled on Sat @ 10 a.m. that wants to participate. Likewise with over a hundred people participating that's 100 potential proxies I know I've helped people I didn't know with that in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otto von Whackjob
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!!!

BentlyCash wrote:
I set up a virtual flea market if anyone can't participate in the MT, or wants to sell their leftovers. It's here: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/176254/gencon-virtual-flea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: If I want to take an item listed individually and turn it into a sweetner on another listing, what would be the best way to handle that? Can you change what an item in the list before closing without causing problems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crackbone wrote:
Question: If I want to take an item listed individually and turn it into a sweetner on another listing, what would be the best way to handle that? Can you change what an item in the list before closing without causing problems?

For the item that you are removing: Change the title to "Outside the scope of BGG", and remove any description, replacing it with +altname+ item removed -altname-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid San Filippo
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! 1500 items!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.