Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jasper Birch
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I have seen multiple threads about situations that have been answered in ways that to me doesn't make sense. Here is my problem:

In a fight where one character blocks another character, isn't the character of the player whose turn it is the only character that is considered the 'attacker' and the character from the player who is blocking the only character that is considered the 'blocker'? I know the attacking character is also blocking the blockers damage at the same time, but the rulebook never mentions that attackers are also considered blockers or vice versa, one player declares attackers and the other declares blockers.

I've seen examples on this forum about using the global of Distraction. If the player who is blocking assigns a dice to block another dice, his dice is considered a 'blocker' and cannot be removed by that global in my opinion, but here I read that it can.

Am I just interpreting things wrong here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Favazza
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always interpreted the Distraction global as meaning you can pull back an attacking die and only an attacking die, not a blocking die. Meaning one of the dice put into the attack zone during the assign attackers phase and not one of the dice put into the attack zone during the assign blockers phase. Is that not how people are doing this?

Of course there are still good reasons for both the attacker and the blocker to want to push an attacking die out of the attack zone and back to the field...If I'm on defense and blocking I may want to push one of the attackers dice back into the field to avoid damage (so I probably didn't assign a blocker to block that die). If I'm attacking I may really just want the "when attacks" ability of my die to trigger - but maybe I don't actually want him to make it to the assign damage phase because he may get KO'd so I use distraction to pull him back.

However in either case only the attacking player's dice are targeted.

I'd be interested to hear if I'm not doing this correctly as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A die that has been declared as an attacker is always and forever an attacking die until the end of the attack phase.

A die that had been declared as a blocker is always and forever a blocker until the end attack phase.

Distraction can never be used against a blocker only an attacker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Fourie
South Africa
flag msg tools
What Chris says is correct. And it is easy to understand.

If a die is assigned as an attacker - it is an attacking die.

If a die is assigned as a blocker - it is a blocking die.

I think what might be confusing people is the fact that each character die has an attack value:

My wife had a difficult time 'grok'-ing this concept, because "everyone has attack, so everyone is attackers". I ended up describing it like this:

Attackers and blockers both deal damage to each other or, in the case of unblocked characters, a player. Just because the blocked character would also deal damage, doesn't make him an attacker.

The distraction global can only be used on the active players characters, and only those assigning to attack.
I do suppose an attacking die would stop being an attacking die as soon as it changes its face to a non-character side, after a Storm or Magneto reroll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
NDzooDzoo wrote:
What Chris says is correct. And it is easy to understand.
To further Chris and Ernst's point, here is another image that might help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
Distraction can only be used on a character that is in the Attack Zone. Only the active player may declare attackers (unless forced to by a global) and moves their character dice from the Field to the Attack Zone. Blockers are never really put in the Attack Zone. Most players put their blockers in that zone just so both players can distinguish what is blocking what. There is no Blockers Zone so technically they never leave the Field to Block.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1havok12 wrote:
Distraction can only be used on a character that is in the Attack Zone. Only the active player may declare attackers (unless forced to by a global) and moves their character dice from the Field to the Attack Zone. Blockers are never really put in the Attack Zone. Most players put their blockers in that zone just so both players can distinguish what is blocking what. There is no Blockers Zone so technically they never leave the Field to Block.

From the Rulebook, page 8, under Declare Blockers: "Your opponent declares blocking characters, moving them into the attack zone and assigning each one to block a specific attacker."

Further, in the cleanup phase, "Characters that blocked (or were blocked) but were not knocked out return to the field."

It's not an Attacker's Zone. It's just a zone for everyone involved in the current Attack Step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FredjeBono wrote:
In a fight where one character blocks another character, isn't the character of the player whose turn it is the only character that is considered the 'attacker' and the character from the player who is blocking the only character that is considered the 'blocker'?

Yes.

FredjeBono wrote:
I know the attacking character is also blocking the blockers damage at the same time,

Don't confuse yourself. Just because both players are doing damage to each other doesn't change their attacker/blocker classifications. All engaged characters will deal damage equal to their own attack, and the character it was dealt to will compare his total damage received to his own defense score. Just because they are both using an attack rating doesn't mean they are both attacking.

FredjeBono wrote:
but the rulebook never mentions that attackers are also considered blockers or vice versa, one player declares attackers and the other declares blockers.

The active player declares his attackers. The opponent declares blockers. It's no more complicated than that.

FredjeBono wrote:
I've seen examples on this forum about using the global of Distraction. If the player who is blocking assigns a dice to block another dice, his dice is considered a 'blocker' and cannot be removed by that global in my opinion,

This is true because the text on on the global ability says to remove an "attacker".

However, when using Distraction action (not the global ability), you can prevent two characters from ever blocking in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schappell
United States
Throop
PA
flag msg tools
mb
Hulks attack deals 5 on the player also, correct? Thanks for this mod of the original diagram, it's very helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adimantium10 wrote:
Hulks attack deals 5 on the player also, correct?

No.

Blockers absorb all the damage from the attackers they block.

Unless card specifies otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.